VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Downloaded copyrighted movie = Downloaded copyrighted TV Show ?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are now quite a few sites offering mpeg and xvid downloads of certain types of commercially available movies. Many of these are more than 700Mb in size. Don't be too quick to judge.
    Name one? All the ones I've reviewed are DRM'd up the ying-yang, and expressly forbid you to convert the file. Most have a timeout feature so you only get 24-48 hours to view the file before the DRM expires. Those are 100% the same as a rental movie, which you are also not allowed to backup.

I still maintain that 99.9% of 700/1400/2100 MB AVI conversions invlove Pirating, in the US.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lechtin
    There is one point that has not been adressed yet (I think) and that is the length of time a copyright on a show lasts. ... I can think of one cartoon that aired...(20 years ago) ...Would it still be considered copyrighted
    yes.

In the U.S., copyright extends (thanks to the didn't-eat-that-tree-fast-enough Sonny Bono Act) to 70 years or more.

There are exceptions to the rule, but generally if it came out after the 1920's, you should consider it copyrighted unless you can prove otherwise...

for a good history of the copyright terms and extensions thereto, you should check out the book "Free Culture", which is available as a (legit!) free download.
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Various Artists "Six Doors"
    Unicorn "Playing With Light"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    The dumbass posteth, the dumbass deserveth.
    So let it be written, so let it be done.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    petar, I think the problem with playing Devil's Advocate is that you don't believe in the position that you are defending, thus there is no strength behind it. Add to that that you can always hide behind the "just playing devil's advocate" excuse.

So how about all of these upskirt/voyeur/barely 18 videos on the net/P2P? I've looked in the stores (behind the little curtain) and on TV, but I can't tell if they're commercial or not. How do you find that info? I need the answer quick, as I am trading them to a rich Nigerian prince who has promised me a larger p3n!s and sexy virgins waiting for me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I'm glad this thread has gotten this far and is still civilised. I was hoping we wouldn't tread the ethical/moral/legal path because that wasn't my intention. But anyway...
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The reason i do not download TV show's I can make a better copy my self with my Panansonic E80H
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I cap TV shows and store them on DVDr all the time and I don't give a rat's ass what anybody has to say about it.
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    So how about all of these upskirt/voyeur/barely 18 videos on the net/P2P?
    I'm willing to trade if you have them
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sacajaweeda
    I cap TV shows and store them on DVDr all the time and I don't give a rat's ass what anybody has to say about it.
    No one gives a rat's ass what you do in your spare time.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And that's the way it should be.
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by sacajaweeda
    And that's the way it should be.
    What he said.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  12. If you do not SELL the recorded OTA TV material you are NOT breaking the law! You do have rights to archiving OTA broadcasts and whether you do it yourself or a friend gets a copy to you or you download it you have a right to so so. This was a comprimise the OTA broadcasters had to submit to if they wanted congress to continue to give them the airwaves for free. Not it does become illiegal if you download pay (non-OTA) TV shows since they are not governed by the same rights as OTA broacasters.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    fslove, you seem to have pulled some "facts" out of your ass. Your post is almost entirely untrue.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FourthWiseMonkey
    Interesting article, and thanks for the link. The movie/TV/music corporations are scrambling like a bunch of roaches when the lights go on, aren't they?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Gazorgan
    There are now quite a few sites offering mpeg and xvid downloads of certain types of commercially available movies. Many of these are more than 700Mb in size. Don't be too quick to judge.
    Name one?
    www.adultbouncer.com

(A friend told me about this, honest :P )
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    petar, I think the problem with playing Devil's Advocate is that you don't believe in the position that you are defending, thus there is no strength behind it. Add to that that you can always hide behind the "just playing devil's advocate" excuse.

So how about all of these upskirt/voyeur/barely 18 videos on the net/P2P? I've looked in the stores (behind the little curtain) and on TV, but I can't tell if they're commercial or not. How do you find that info? I need the answer quick, as I am trading them to a rich Nigerian prince who has promised me a larger p3n!s and sexy virgins waiting for me.
    Point taken.
    I wanted to start an argument whether the time-shifting contains any holes that will allow me (you or anyone) to treat downloading aired material same as if was taped by my VCR/DVD recorder. I gave the example of Henry Fonda in 12 Angry Men (maybe I watch too many movies, but then what do you do all morning in a DVD rentals store?). He didn't believe in what he was defending either but got the rest to go deeper into the case and they discovered that things weren't as they first seemed.
    I have no problem defending the case further but I think Adam proved me wrong. I'm not a lawyer and what Adam said makes sense to me. Unless someone can confirm that the law is different to what Adam is saying, I'm out of arguments.
    Quote Quote  
  17. An interesting point previously regarding the fact that you buy the plastic, not the content. Would that put me in breach of copywrite if I were to transfer my extensive collection of commercial VHS to DVD - speaking purely hypothetically, of course.

Reading the small print (reaches for x10 mag) it says "licensed for private home exhibition only" - so far so good, but it goes on to say " Any broadcast, public performance, diffusion (?) copying or editing is prohibited unless expressly authorised" That's from Buena Vista.

Sounds like a "Yes" to me (?)
    Quote Quote  
  18. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Would that put me in breach of copywrite if I were to transfer my extensive collection of commercial VHS to DVD - speaking purely hypothetically, of course.
    This is clearly allowed under the fair-use law.
    Any broadcast, public performance, diffusion (?) copying or editing is prohibited unless expressly authorised" That's from Buena Vista.
    They can say anything they like on the box, but the fair-use law overrules any proproetary policies of Buena Vista. They could put "By purchasing buyer agrees not to watch this video when friends are over and may see it" That doesn't mean you broke any law by doing that, and I'd love to see them try to enforce that one, or a policy that doesn't allow a legal owner to backup their paid-for commercial copy by putting it on DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Capmaster
    This is clearly allowed under the fair-use law.
    They can say anything they like on the box, but the fair-use law overrules any proproetary policies of Buena Vista.
    "Fair Use" is not a law, it's an affirmative defense to breaking copyright. It's a possible exception to a law, not law itself.
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by spiderman2k1
    The reason TV station do not like people download TV show's is that there are add's on the show and they want people to watch the add's. This is the same on Pionner's DVD-R Tivo that you can not edit the commercials out.
    I can't think of a soul I know who takes bathroom/snack breaks during the show so they won't miss the commercials
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Any broadcast, public performance, diffusion (?) copying or editing is prohibited unless expressly authorised" That's from Buena Vista.
    They can say anything they like on the box, but the fair-use law overrules any proproetary policies of Buena Vista. They could put "By purchasing buyer agrees not to watch this video when friends are over and may see it" That doesn't mean you broke any law by doing that, and I'd love to see them try to enforce that one, or a policy that doesn't allow a legal owner to backup their paid-for commercial copy by putting it on DVD.
    Just thinking to myself - don't you agree to abide by the conditions of purchase when you buy the product.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  22. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just thinking to myself - don't you agree to abide by the conditions of purchase when you buy the product.
    Yeah and I agree to drive the speed limit too ...
    My point is I'm breaking an agreement, not a law.
    "Fair Use" is not a law, it's an affirmative defense to breaking copyright. It's a possible exception to a law, not law itself.
    OK. Let me rephrase that ..."Fair-Use Exception". How's that?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Capmaster
    Yeah and I agree to drive the speed limit too ...
    c. It's not just a good idea, it's the law.

(Old physics bumper-sticker...)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rhegedus
    Only if you assume that the average person knows that they are entering into a "contract" when they make a simple purchase. Most (and likely all) people do not read the enire package when purchasing a video (or anything else), and even then, can't be arsed to decipher all the legal mumbo-jumbo.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    So does that mean that the box that I tick when installing software on my PC (I agree to......) is null and void because I did not know of it when I bought the software?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it's wonderful. thank you. you're my new best friend. let's go sit in a meadow and watch puppies frolic.
    - housepig
    ----------------
    Housepig Records
    out now:
    Quote Quote  
  27. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by housepig
    it's wonderful. thank you. you're my new best friend. let's go sit in a meadow and watch puppies frolic.
    Why don't you go frolic and I'll meet you there. We can pick nits together. :P
    Better yet - start without me
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by adam
    you only have the right to view it once.
    This is untrue, at least in Canada. Nowhere in copyright law does it say how many times you can watch a time shifted show. It's recorded for aching, LATER, in a private, non commercial, non distributed fashion. As long as you don't give it away to anyone you can watch it as much as you want. In Canada, once you obtain permission to watch/use a copyrighted work, (TV and film not software) they canot dicate how I use it in my home.

Just a thought.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by petar
    I don't think that there's anything in the law that specifies that time shifting has to be done with a VCR (or DVD recorder) and it has to be done by me personally. It can be done by my wife. Or not? If so, why not by someone I don't know?
    It CAN be done by your wife. But not by joe anonmous@kazaa.
    Quote Quote