VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7
FirstFirst ... 5 6 7
Thread
  1. I found mine at a Target store about 2 months ago and haven't seen another at any store I've been in sense.
    The DPV-642 works well with my HDTV (30" tube), plays almost all MPG or DivX files I burn on CD's or DVD-R's.
    UB
    Quote Quote  
  2. Can this Philips DVP-642 support xdiv and divx. Any problems reading cds when burnt in a different ways. Also is the one on amazon the latest.
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  3. Did you consider using search before asking questions ?!
    Quote Quote  
  4. It will play avi (divX / Xvid), or MPG files just burnt on a CD or DVD. Plays MP3's on CD or DVD also.
    UB
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by somebodeez
    Is it multi region?
    Check the tab at left for this player and then click on the region code hack and you will see a long list of comments. Ignore the early ones and read all the way through.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  6. Does this remote lets you control the volume? this is the only bad think i see about the player so far: no volume buttons on the remote (or no volume control capable??)

Thanks!

Originally Posted by absolutic
    1. Best Buy sells Phillips universal dvd learning remote for 12.99 or 14.99$ that has eject button and works this unit perfectly.

2. Compusa always shows none in stock on line but when you get to the store, they always have a couple of boxes laying around.

3. Divx.com now lists this player as Divx Certified Dvd Player.
    Quote Quote  
  7. No, the remote for the DVD player doesn't let you control the volume.. Like um, pretty much every DVD player I've ever owned.

That's what the TV/receiver remote buttons are for.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Funny thing is I checked my 2 Apex players and was surprised that the remotes have tiny audio volume controls (vol + and - keys). Never used them so sure won't miss them on the dvp-642.
    The more I test this player out the happier I am with it. Now if a good model comes out with gmc and qpel at a similar price I'll just buy another and move this one down the line.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Madz
    Originally Posted by Flave
    This player should be bought *strictly* for its Divx/Xvid playback which it does superbly (except for QPel videos).
    That's exactly what I wanted one for. Sold out everywhere I checked, however. Looked on sites for Target, CompUSA and Best Buy (who wants $10 more for it, BTW). Even called stores to confirm. Wal-Mart doesn't even have it listed on their site (in fact, the only Philips items there are a couple of DVD/VCR combos).
    I got mine from philips outlet a refurnbished for $49+tax+ship=$63. They arrive in 5 days

bunanson
    Quote Quote  
  10. I think i didn't explain myself. I know the remote that comes with the player doesn't have volume control. I was wondering if a better replacement remote would let me control the volume from the dvd. This is because the audio system the player is plugged to doesn't have a remote since they are computer speakers (altec lansing, very good).

thanks!

Originally Posted by Shudder
    No, the remote for the DVD player doesn't let you control the volume.. Like um, pretty much every DVD player I've ever owned.

That's what the TV/receiver remote buttons are for.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by grumpy2906
    Hi every one. I live in Montreal, Canada, and i want to buy de Philips DVP642 from the internet, but none of the web sites you mentionned delivers in Canada.

Is there someone who could help me in finding a web site that delivers to Canada for the Philips DVP642, please ???

Thanks.

Andre

get it at bestbuy canada stores its in stock for 119.99
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    pkosta wrote
    grumpy2906 wrote:
    Hi every one. I live in Montreal, Canada, and i want to buy de Philips DVP642 from the internet, but none of the web sites you mentionned delivers in Canada.

Is there someone who could help me in finding a web site that delivers to Canada for the Philips DVP642, please ???

Thanks.

Andre

get it at bestbuy canada stores its in stock for 119.99
    Ouch!!!

I got mine at Best Buy too but for $79.99 can. Wait for a sale
    Quote Quote  
  13. This player plays almost anything I throw at it. It plays all of my DVD-R movies, even those on crappy media, and it also plays every DivX and Xvid movie that I have. The only problem that I have encountered is that it won't play.wma files and I've never been able to find a patch to allow this.

Somone previously asked if there is a region code hack for this machine. Turn on the machine and open the disc tray. Then on your remote press "5, 6, 9, 0"- then press "OK." This will bring up the region code menu and you can change the region to match the region code of the disc you are trying to watch. Once you have changed the region, power off and then back on and then you are ready to go.
    Quote Quote  
  14. if You have bad picture quality when playing divx or xvid
    just press SYSTEM two times (repeat once again if nessesary)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fantomasz@hotmail.co
    if You have bad picture quality when playing divx or xvid
    just press SYSTEM two times (repeat once again if nessesary)
    I dont think anyone uses that funky remote when using their 642.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The silver one that comes with the unit? I do...every day...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, for some odd odd reason this won't play DVD-R's right. In fact it won't play anything burned on a DVD well at all. Whenever I play something from a DVD it will constantly pause for 5 seconds and then keep playing for about 10 seconds then repeat. I think maybe it just needs to be cleaned, but how would I go about doing that?
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by Mr. SoAndSo
    Okay, for some odd odd reason this won't play DVD-R's right. In fact it won't play anything burned on a DVD well at all. Whenever I play something from a DVD it will constantly pause for 5 seconds and then keep playing for about 10 seconds then repeat. I think maybe it just needs to be cleaned, but how would I go about doing that?
    I almost never have problems with DVD+R and DVD+RW media. Be sure your disks are finalized. Get a recent firmware update. Otherwise here may be something wrong with your player.
    Quote Quote  
  19. I have played hundreds of burned -Rs as well as +Rs. It is possible that your burns are bad.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well how can I get a good burn?

I have used DVD Decrypter and Nero.
    Quote Quote  
  21. I recommend using RW media until you get it worked out.

For Divx/Xvid AVI files I use Nero's DVD-ROM (ISO) template. Always use the "No Multisession" option.

I have used DVD Decrypter ISO Read, ISO Write to copy DVDs.

There are some Divx/Xvid features that the player can't handle. If you're making your own files avoid using QPel and GMC. If you are using files others have created you can check them with MPEG4Modifier.

The player also can't handle frame sizes over 720x576, very high bitrate (over ~4000 kbps) video, very low bitrate MP3 audio (under ~96 kbps), etc.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I often use mp3 80kbs audio setting for xvid's using AutoGK and these files play fine.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by giannid
    I often use mp3 80kbs audio setting for xvid's using AutoGK and these files play fine.
    I know that 56 kbps doesn't work and 96 kbps does. I guess the cutoff is somewhere below 80 kbps!
    Quote Quote  
  24. i'll tell you what though, i personally dont even downsample the audio...at all...if you do, and you some day get a 5.1 setup (or if you already have a setup with 5.1!) you will regret it.....especially if you downsample your audio to 80k/s mp3.....even on my OLD rca tv from probably the early 90's or so with only mono output, 80k/s mp3 audio sounds like garbage if you have the volume up to a decently loud level.....and if you do get a 5.1 setup, your best off just keeping the audio intact or the second you convert it, your audio drops INSTANTLY to stereo.....as for playback problems, i'd suggest burning at a slower speed...this can help things a LOT for many things..not just dvd players, same holds true for cd players...both home and portable, and if you make backup copies of computer software to prevent your discs from being shredded apart, i'd advise burning those at lower speeds, too........yes, burners can be MADE to burn discs at blazing fast speeds, but if you do, its also a lot more prone to read errors by many devices.....
    reguarding the audio cutoff, i'll bet its probably 64k/s...thats a very common cutoff and a good chunk of programs are made not to be able to encode stuff below that bitrate just because of that very reason, it causes incompatability problems with like portable mp3 players, in this case, divx compatable dvd players, and it can even cause incompatability with some car audio setups.....
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep...

I have a perfectly fine DVD-R that is burned and it still skips on the DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have hundreds of Taiyo Yuden and MCC -R that don't skip. What brand is yours?
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Mr. SoAndSo
    Yep...

I have a perfectly fine DVD-R that is burned and it still skips on the DVD player.
    I have a CD-R I just burnt that skips, too
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,

Some help needed here. I have decided to buy this player in any case and plan to take it to India. I have checked amazon.com website and there are actually two players out there a DVP642---------------->
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000204SWE/qid=1135480212/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-606...onics&v=glance
    and a DVP642/37-------------->
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002NYM3G/qid=1135480212/sr=8-2/ref=pd_bbs_2/104-606...onics&v=glance
    The second one they claimis code free and region free. There is a difference of 5 bucks. I just wanted to confirm with you guys if there is a lot of difference with the two players. Will I be not able to play the DVDs purchased in India on DVP642 if I use the updated firmware?
    Cheers
    VJ
    Quote Quote  
  29. Left, column , dvd players or hacks , people list the region hacks for this player.

Just push, 7,8,9, then okay then 0 & presto! region free.
    Quote Quote