VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Guest
    hello all, i've been stumped for a week on this. i have a really crappy pc(can't afford another)but i'm able to burn apps/games/console/and my fav vcd. i put in my reader and writer and they are both connected to the same ide slot on the board. i can't do a disc to disc copy(don't want to open the pc again to see if there is another ide slot) i copied a vcd by making an image of the disc then burning. the original can fast forward and rewind but the copy can't. this was the only way i was sucessful in copyng the vcd because the original is scratched and the very first sector cannot be read(don't know why i didn't get any read errors when the image was mad) is there a way to add fast forward and rewind to the image?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could convert the .dat file into an .mpg http://www.vcdhelp.com/convertdat.htm and then reburn the whole VCD using nero.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Chopper, how is using this method better than simply renaming the .dat file to a .mpg file? (now I'm wondering if I've been doing this wrong this whole time!)

Thanks

PioneerGirl
    Quote Quote  
  4. The "DAT" file has contains the mpeg stream plus some added "stuff". If not removed, it could (not likely but may) lead to errors on the VCD when you re-burn it. In any case, I believe that some editing/authoring proggies (not including Nero) has trouble processing simply renamed DAT files.

You should always use VCDGear to convert back to a standard MPEG file first. This probably isn't necessary if you are using Nero.

trefactor, have you tried CloneCD (sorry, no link)?

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yep. Just renaming it gives me problem so I always just rip it. Apparently you can just joing .mpg files with dos commands and that'll run too but it sure will make a messed up file. It's safer to avoid that kind of stuff since it'll probably cause more problems than it's worth.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-12 07:28:33, vitualis wrote:
    The "DAT" file has contains the mpeg stream plus some added "stuff". If not removed, it could (not likely but may) lead to errors on the VCD when you re-burn it. In any case, I believe that some editing/authoring proggies (not including Nero) has trouble processing simply renamed DAT files.

</BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

Nero could process the DAT file no problem. Tried it on nero 5.0 and 5.5.x
    Quote Quote  
  7. <TABLE BORDER=0 ALIGN=CENTER WIDTH=85%><TR><TD><font size=-1>Quote:</font><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR><TR><TD><FONT SIZE=-1><BLOCKQUOTE>
    On 2001-07-12 16:22:01, tinmancp wrote:
    Nero could process the DAT file no problem. Tried it on nero 5.0 and 5.5.x
    </BLOCKQUOTE></FONT></TD></TR><TR><TD><HR size=1 color=black></TD></TR></TABLE>

Yes, I know. Isn't this what I just said in my other post?

Regards.
    Michael Tam
    w: Morsels of Evidence
    Quote Quote