VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Awaiting for your advise everybody experts there.
    I want to transfer my old VHS videos to VCD or DVD for watching them on TV. Which is the best capturing resolution for PAL system? I have confused among 702x576, 704x576, 720x576 and 768x576. Which is the right one? I am not interesting in watching the videos on my PC but just only on my TV (DAR 4:3, PAL). Should I deinterlace it or not?
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not real familiar with the PAL world, but I would use 1/2 D1 resolution of 352 X 576, should be plenty sufficient for VHS and will allow a lower bitrate. Usually keep interlacing if you are going to watch on a TV. Check the DVDR info to the left, then the 'Guides' for more info.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Help's to know what capture card you use. you can try 720*480 or 352*480. for VCD I like to capture you DVD then encode to VCD with TMPG.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    352x576
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  5. I use a AvetTV Studio 303 card with Conexant cx23881 chipset. Which is the best software for video capturing? For now I'm trying the iuVCR Trial version and it seems good. Any alternative good software? What about virtualVCR for for my own card?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I always used 352x576 (480) for VHS captures...
    the software I play is VirtualDub only, with a MJPEG codec in compression, like PICVIDEO... works great... if you want to edit, you should try to capture losslessly with specific codecs.

Fred©
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Fred©
    I always used 352x576 (480) for VHS captures...
    What do you mean by putting the "480" in brackets? From what I understand reading the guides and previous posts, there isn't enough information in a VHS picture to justify a capture resolution greater than 352x576. So, I captured at 352x576, and the picture is ridiculously tall and narrow... why is this resolution recommended if that's the case? Does it have something to do with post-processing, with TMPGEnc for example? Does it make the image better if you capture like that?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AlexCR
    and the picture is ridiculously tall and narrow..
    As opposed to 720, which is ridiculously thin and wide?
    The original VHS is even "more narrow" than the 352.

They both playback at the same size, 4:3
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    AlexCR: The 480 in brackets is just the NTSC alternative resolution. Doesn't apply to PAL.
    Quote Quote