VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a DV-AVI file which I need to save to a CD. The file is to be given to someone to view only on their Windows PC, not DVD etc. It also has to be idiot proof.

Right now, the file is 800 + MB's - too big for a CD. I tried to convert it to a WMV file but the quality is too low. I would ideally prefer to keep it as an AVI, keeping as much quality as possible.

Again, I don't want to mess around with Divx etc. because my audiencewill not want to messa bout with codecs etc.

How can I simply reduce the size of the AVI file so that it'll fit on a CDR?

THanks for any help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by instigator_008
    Again, I don't want to mess around with Divx etc. because my audiencewill not want to messa bout with codecs etc.
    Playing the DV footage will still require the installation of the DV codec. About the only thing that doesn't require a codec installation is mpeg1, Media Player will play any mpeg1. Mpeg2 can be played if there is some DVD playing software installed as that will also install the mpeg2 codec.

The only way to make your DV file smaller is to trim it or re-encode it... either back to DV or into something else.

You could also try 90 or 99 min CD-R's but they aren't compatible on all CD drives.

Your choice.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Use TMPGEnc Plus! It may be better to convert it to MPEG-1. The quality will not suffer that much, and most PCs can play it with no problems.
    Hello.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe we should remind folks that AVI is just a container of a video/audio source. Just because a file is AVI does NOT mean it will play on all PC's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MpegEncoder
    Maybe we should remind folks that AVI is just a container of a video/audio source.
    I think you just did.
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa
    Quote Quote