VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I've been having trouble encoding these videos lately. It seems that when I do a 2-pass VBR, TMPGEnc produces an mpeg2 video that has an average bitrate significantly less than the one I choose. I am taking high quality Divx files (DVD rips) and making DVD's out of them. Here are my settings:

VIDEO:

Mpeg2 stream

640 x 432

23.976 (internally 29.97) fps

2-pass vbr (min=0 avg=7300 max=9600)

VBV Buffer= 0 (auto)

Main profile & main level

Ntsc

3:2 pulldown encode mode

10 bit DC Component Precision

Highest quality motion search precision

Standard GOP structure

CG/Animation quantization matrix

Max # of frames in GOP = 18

Detect scene change

Use floating point DCT

AUDIO:

mp2 by tooLame

48 khz samp freq

384 kb/s bitrate

The problem I get is the average bitrate I set is 7300, but TMPGEnc produces a video with an average bitrate of about 6000. I've tried messing with the P-picture & B-picture spoilage settings, but nothing had an effect. I've also tried to set the minimum all the way up to 5000. This way, the average is equally distant from the min & max. This also had no effect. Any suggestions or help?

Search Comp PM
    How are you so sure that the average is 6000? Is your file size only 80% of what you expected?
    "Art is making something out of nothing and selling it." - Frank Zappa

3. Two main reasons. Yes I did expect the file size to be higher. I calculated the bitrate with this formula:

(Video Bitrate + Audio Bitrate) * (2048/2018) * (# of Seconds in File divided by eight) = FileSize in KB

Since I had the file size & the other information, I simply did division & found the average bitrate of the video. Plus, TMPGEnc creates a .log file if you ask it to. The .log file declares the avg bitrate of the video at the end of the file. It was the same as my calculations.

Search Comp PM
    Not that I don't trust your math, but you might want to double check with a bitrate calculator. Click on advanced mode.

5. yes, it came out the same: a little under 6,000 kb/s

Search PM
    For starters I would never set the Min to 0, ever.

Why are you going from DVD to Divx to DVD instead of straight DVD backup ?
    If in doubt, Google it.

Search Comp PM
    For FULL D1 resolution I would never set the min to less than 2000kbps and 9600kbps is simply too high for the MAX

I don't like to use a MAX beyond 8000kbps but even if you use a low bitrate audio file (192kbps AC-3 would be the lowest acceptable or maybe 224kbps MP2) I still say that 9600kbps for a MAX is pushing it.

In fact it has been noted that some if not most versions of TMPGEnc work best in 2-pass VBR if the AVG is exactly in the middle of the MAX and MIN bitrate settings. So for an AVG of 6000kbps you would set your MIN to 4000kbps and your MAX to 8000kbps etc.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE

8. My min is 0

My average is 7300

My max is 9600

I know for a fact that TMPGEnc 2-pass gives an average bitrate lower than what I ask. It produces 6000. I have even tried lowering the max bitrate to 8000. I have also tried making the min and max equally distant from the average. What's wrong? Why is it still giving me a problem? Furthermore, I've heard that 9600-9800 is the max video bitrate and the total max is 10.08 Mbits/s for video, audio, subtitles, etc. in DVD Players, so why would it be a problem to set the max to 9600-9800? I've even tried to change the P-picture & B-picture spoilage settings; however, it seems these two are dependent on I-picture spoilage being 0. It seems that this is not the case when I do 2-pass like this. I've done VCD, SVCD, & DVD 2-pass VBR's before. I've never had this problem. I have to admit that I've never used such a high average or max before also, but I still do not see why this is happening?

Search PM
    Is it such a big hassle that the average is not what you set it to ? Does it affect the quality of the finished product ?

There must be a setting that is not quite right.

You still haven't answered my question:
    If in doubt, Google it.

10. Yes, it is such a big hassle. I consider a big difference between 6000 & 7300. I've shown all of my settings at the very top. Furthermore, I did not rip the DVD. I downloaded it. I tried recording these anime on tapes on my vcr, but I had to be there when the episode played (I had work), the vcr would always play with garbage quality (especially the sound), and the tapes would get messed up fast. Plus, there are a lot of episodes in this series, and the tapes were getting expensive. This way, I simply had to get an encoder (TMPGEnc Plus for $50), buy a Dvd-r & Dvd-r disks, and play them in high-quality on my Dvd Player while saving money. Now, that I've given you a story on why I'm making Dvd's, do you have any suggestions as to how to fix this problem with TMPGEnc Plus. If there is something wrong with my settings, could you tell me what? Thanks.

Search PM
    I think I know what your problem is...

Copyrighted downloads play all sorts of funny tricks with TMPGEnc Plus. Is the material copyrighted ?
    If in doubt, Google it.

12. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    You still haven't answered my question:

I'll answer for myself (even though you didn't ask me but I'm a buttinski)

because there was a day....not too long ago by the way.....when backing up to dvd was impossible. There weren't any dvd burners. I remember a time when my only burner was a HP 8100 CD-RW. Backing up a dvd to DivX was the option. Accordingly, myself....and I assume many others... have an archive of DivX files. Some of those files, I'd like to put on DVD, so there.

Search PM
    You're right...I didn't ask you.
    If in doubt, Google it.

14. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    You're right...I didn't ask you.
    If you want to ask a private question, you could send a private message instead of asking the same question in an open forum.

15. For your information, jimmalenko, these episodes have been aired on tv a thousand times. I have every right to watch them how I please at home. As long as I don't try to sell them or anything of the sort, I am not breaking any laws. Furthermore, any problems would be in my TMPGEnc settings, in the Divx file, or in TMPGEnc itself. That's really what I want to know. What is wrong with my settings that is causing TMPGEnc to produce a lower average bitrate than I ask for. Thanks for your two cents anyway. Does anyone have a real answer to my question?[/b]

Search PM
    Originally Posted by mmasw
    If you want to ask a private question, you could send a private message instead of asking the same question in an open forum.
    What is this, Forum Etiquette 101 ?
    If in doubt, Google it.

Search PM
    Originally Posted by aamir12345678
    For your information, jimmalenko, these episodes have been aired on tv a thousand times. I have every right to watch them how I please at home. As long as I don't try to sell them or anything of the sort, I am not breaking any laws.
    True.

The only thing you forgot is that they are considered warez on this forum. see ya buddy.
    If in doubt, Google it.

18. Hey, jimmalenko, don't be such "A Jackass."

19. [quote="jimmalenko
    What is this, Forum Etiquette 101 ?[/quote]

ok....now I see why you call yourself a jackass.

on one thing we agree

Search PM
    ok....now I see why you call yourself a jackass.

on one thing we agree
    @mmasw:
    Hey buddy, I was asking aamir for a response, not you. I am quite aware of the use of PMs, but thankyou for refreshing my memory. I am quite aware for why people in general might be going from DivX for the exact purposes you stated. The whole point of my question was to confirm the presence of warez, which I had pretty much assumed from post 1. But best to be sure...

@aamir:
    Stick to the forum rules and we'll get along just fine.
    If in doubt, Google it.

Search PM
    Hey, jimmalenko, don't be such "A Jackass."
    aamir (if that is your real name) , I can't help the way I was born.
    If in doubt, Google it.

22. I think you've got me more on a technicality than morality. That's why I called you "A Jackass." I don't see the copyright enfringement, except that before I was recording from my vcr, and now, I am recording from my cpu. Why don't you go "crack down" on the real criminals!

23. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    @mmasw:
    Hey buddy, I was asking aamir for a response, not you. I am quite aware of the use of PMs, but thankyou for refreshing my memory. I am quite aware for why people in general might be going from DivX for the exact purposes you stated. The whole point of my question was to confirm the presence of warez, which I had pretty much assumed from post 1. But best to be sure...
    ok....point taken

I see now that YOU were the one enforcing "Forum Etiquette 101 "

you're welcome on your memory refresh, by the way

have a nice day.....buddy

Search PM
    Etiquette is implied behaviour, rules are rules.
    If in doubt, Google it.

25. Hey, jimmalenko, I want to thank you for ruining my thread. You really are "A Jackass." Don't worry, though. I've got my problem figured out. Now, you being the police and all, I think you need to go out there and make sure that all those people that get those movies that haven't been released yet don't get to have such easy access to them. The internet should be regulated from theft as real life is; but the key word is: "theft." Some of my downloaded clips have been captures from tv and others downloaded clips of the episodes of the same series. Again, I don't really see the copyright enfringment.

Search Comp PM
    I've got my problem figured out.
    Ignore the cop....How did you fix it?

27. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Etiquette is implied behaviour, rules are rules.
    LOL....and just what sanction has been applied to Amir for this transgression of "rules"?

in this specific case, considering cause and effect, I submit there is not one wit of practical difference between rules and etiquette.

of course, if you happen to be a moderator, and old Amir has been placed on triple-secret probation, I suppose that's different.

Search PM
    aamir, you ruined your own thread the minute you posted it.
    Originally Posted by The AUP
    Before you reply, please observe our following forum rules

Do NOT give warez.

Do NOT link to warez .

Do NOT ask for warez.

Do NOT provide information how to obtain warez.

Do NOT advocate warez.

Warez includes downloaded copyrighted movies, movies that are not yet released on VHS/DVD and copying rented movies.
    TV shows also come under that category.

Did you ask the TV network for permission to reproduce their works ?
    If in doubt, Google it.

29. No, sorry. The problem wasn't solved. I thought it would be. For some reason, it seems that TMPGEnc is increasing the I-picture spoilage. Normally, the I-picture is supposed to be the least compressed, then the P-picture, and then the B-picture, but when I take a look at my .log file, it seems that the P-pictures are of a bigger size in most of the GOP's than the I-picture. Let me try a CBR of 7300 kb/s. If it works, I will just shut my mouth and take it.

AND AS FOR YOU, jimmalenko, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU????!!!!!!
    READ MY TYPING, I'M NOT REPRODUCING ANYTHING. THIS IS WHEN ONE ORGANIZATION INTENDS TO REPRODUCE A MOTION PICTURE (OR SOMETHING SIMILAR) PUBLICALLY OR TRIES TO MAKE SOME PROFIT OFF OF IT, THEY HAVE TO ASK PERMISSION FROM A NUMBER OF PEOPLE (PRODUCING COMPANIES, NETWORKS, ETC.) BEFORE THEY CAN CONTINUE. FOR GOD'S SAKE, I'M JUST WATCHING AT HOME!!!!!!!!!! QUIT BEING SUCH "A JACKASS"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!

Search PM
    @aamir:
    I'm not going to pursue this argument any more. You obviously do not understand that you are not allowed to discuss the reproduction in any form of anything downloaded that is copyrighted. I'll let a Mod decide your fate.
    If in doubt, Google it.