VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All, Can you Help this Newbie to DVDs Please.....Ripped a personal DVD to "Video_TS" (took 35min 14sec with a 24xDVDRom drive) Will use my NEC 2500A to rip next time I think....Was told that ISO is Better.....Is there any Difference or is it just Personal Preference, plus what Burning programs u have/use??.....When left on Hard Disk for a while, which is less in MBts for storeing.....Got All the Free Programs Plus Nero & DVDClone.....So, Video_TS or ISO!!??........Thanks a Lot....Dennis...
    I Am Me, You Are You. There's Only One Me, There's Only One You. I Am Unique, So Are You.
    BE H-A-P-P-Y.....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When you say you have all the free programmes it is not very specific .
    However I think if you have a wander round this site you will soon see that DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter seem to be the most commonly used programmes for Backing Up DVD's.
    Plenty of good guides to follow for these.
    I would recommend you get the programmes as and when you need them. It seems a bit pointless having every possible free ripping software on your PC. See how you get along with one if you don't like it try the next one.
    If you are going to leave rips on your HD , wether iso or VIDEO_TS they are still full DVD's worth of data so You Will have maybe between , I dont Know , 5 and 8 GB each disc. Unless you have a pretty large HD it seems pointless , if you have 60 GB you certainly wouldn't have 60G free, why not get them burnt to DVD-R straight away .

I use DVD Shrink most of the time , If I get any problems with that I occasionally use DVD Decrypter. Then I use Nero 6 to burn.
    Quote Quote  
  3. If you rip to a title set you are limited to using Imagetool to generate a DVD image and burn from it. Alas, Imagetool doesn't generate a 100% plain vanilla standard DVD image from title sets, so there might be playback issues depending on the DVD player. If you rip to an ISO you can burn with many different types of tools, and some of them do produce completely 100% compatible DVDs. So that's the main issue AFAICT.
    Another subsidiary issue would be editing the ISO file. You might want to do that for various exotic reasons. If you rip to an image file you can't edit it. If you rip to an ISO you can. YMMV.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Spectro n Andy....Thank U for replying.....
    Tried Shrink on its own, it ripped ok but Write went wrong....Tried decryptor had probs with that, tried burning with CloneDVD, had error at 96%....Good job i was useing a DVD-RW......
    Anyway, I managed to suus things out in end.....Ripped with Decryptor, Authored with Shrink n Write with Nero...100% perfect.......Takes ages though don't it!........Will stick to the "Video-TS" for now until i Learn a bit more.....

Do U know how to use the "Rip Speed UnLock" for the NEC 2500A Burner..
    Is it easy!!?.......Thanks, Dennis...
    I Am Me, You Are You. There's Only One Me, There's Only One You. I Am Unique, So Are You.
    BE H-A-P-P-Y.....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Glad you sorted it out

Originally Posted by MrScarecrow
    Ripped with Decryptor, Authored with Shrink n Write with Nero
    You've actually got to what is probably the best method there.
    Quote Quote