VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been converting avi to SVCD using AVI2SVCD quite happily for sometime now. I am quite a newbie so I found this programme did everything for me regarding changing NSTC to PAL, ripping off the sound etc. However I recently purchased a DVD burner and I wondered if there was a programme out there that could do the same job and convert to DVD. I have tried AVI2DVD but it requires Sonic Scenarist which is quite expensive - any other suggestions.

Many thanx
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Doesn't anyone do any research any more...

Took me 10 seconds to go to the guides section and seach for "AVI to DVD".

Go here.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for that - however I have already looked at most of these guides and they all involve using several different programmes. Maybe I'm being too dull as a newbie - but most of these programmes confuse the hell out of me. What I was looking for was a nice simple programme like AVI2SVCD which will do it all for me. AVI2DVD will but it means buying Sonic Scenarist which is expensive - so my questions was is there another programme like this one or is there a way I can use another programme instead of Scenarist which is free or shareware.

Thankx
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Probably the easiest to learn would be

TMPGenc Plus ( 30 Day Trial for Mpeg2 )
    TMPGenc DVD Author ( 30 Day Trial )
    Burning Software e.g. Nero which you probably already have

There are plenty of good guides for TMPGenc and Author and you can use them for a month to see if you get on together.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I cheat. Both my cheap players will play PAL on an NTSC TV (mechanical conversion on the fly). This makes it real easy :P In fact, I have a fair number of mixed NTSC/PAL DVD's. TMPG Author is my primary DVD building application.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Typical newbie...always looking for one click solutions...anyway...

I'll agree with TMPGEnc Plus and TMPGEnc DVD Author. I'm afraid that I'm not aware of any one click solutions that do what you wish to do. You may have to get your hands a little bit dirty I think.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Doesn't anyone do any research any more...
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Typical newbie...always looking for one click solutions
    I think you need to make the 'Never' in your signature a bit bigger. :

I just found a guy asking if his DVD Player will playback VCDs.

It took me a couple of minutes on google to say 'NO'
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by andyp1
    I think you need to make the 'Never' in your signature a bit bigger. :

I just found a guy asking if his DVD Player will playback VCDs.

It took me a couple of minutes on google to say 'NO'
    Better ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Brilliant !

I nearly fell out of my chair - I'm pretty sure that'll get noticed. LOL .
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It is more aimed at my work - tech support in a bank. I have found that the minute you think "I'll just click these two things to frix the problem" is the minute that you have to remap a drive, reconfigure their email, install a SP and so on and so on. I guess it still rings pretty true in the world of DVD also.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Lynxer
    What I was looking for was a nice simple programme like AVI2SVCD which will do it all for me. AVI2DVD will but it means buying Sonic Scenarist which is expensive
    Dude, there are two scenarios to this:

1. Spend the money to buy Scenarist and you will have yourself a one click solution,

OR

2. use multiple programs and actually "understand" what they are doing. Follow the plethora of guides here. Do exactly what the guides say.

Just as a footnote, you really aren't going to go far in the world of DVD if you are looking for one-click solutions without paying for them. I guess if it floats your boat the fair enough. Just remember that we are doing some pretty complex stuff here so if you're up for a challenge, go forth !
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you've got Nero 6, give Nero Vision Express a shot. Works pretty well most of the time, is easy and yields pretty good results considering it's pretty much a one step process. You can merge and add chapter stops also. You can get the demo and give it a shot.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by Lynxer
    Thanks for that - however I have already looked at most of these guides and they all involve using several different programmes. Maybe I'm being too dull as a newbie - but most of these programmes confuse the hell out of me. What I was looking for was a nice simple programme like AVI2SVCD which will do it all for me. AVI2DVD will but it means buying Sonic Scenarist which is expensive - so my questions was is there another programme like this one or is there a way I can use another programme instead of Scenarist which is free or shareware.

Thankx
    You dont have to buy Scenarist to use DVD2SVCD. Just go to the CD Image tab and select "Dont Make Images", then once encoded, use Maestro, DVDLab or TMPGEnc DVD Author to author the files ready to burn.

cm
    Quote Quote