VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi all,
    I am trying my first xvid to dvd conversion (for the kids to watch on their players) and whichever guide I follow I keep getting errors:

Using TMPEnc direct - no sound in file
    Extract sound using virtualdub then tmpenc get error about lines outside scope (or something similar)
    Now trying AVI2DVD using guide and keep getting error of timestamp difference in CCE section.

Is there something wrong with the original XVID file and if so can it be corrected/bypassed.

Thanks in advance
    Del
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Using TMPEnc direct - no sound in file

Do you mean there is no sound after the conversion ?
    If so I may have the answer.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That's precisely it - run the conversion (as per guide on here) and I get video mpeg with no sound. As I said, tried using virtualdub and adding this as a wav file - but then I get lines out of scope error (cannot remember exact message at the mo)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm just scouring my posts to find the answer .I'll post a link for you in a few minutes.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Found it . Have a look at my reply here it may help with your problem.
    It is a very common thing to happen.

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=208701&highlight=

Hope it helps
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thx I'll give it a try in a bit.

BTW I have just redone the encodeing using AVI2DVD and CCE but changed VBR to CBR and it seemed to run OK - it's still doing stuff but what will the end result be?

Sorry to change the purpose of thread halfway through
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know about the other software . I have used TMPGenc with 100% success.

As I understand it CBR means the bit rate is constant throughout the length of the movie. VBR varies the bit rate so that where there is more action on the screen the bitrate speeds up and when there is little movement on the screen the bitrate is slowed down . It is to try and ensure the film runs smoothly throughout.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Looks like this may solve my problem thanks - the setting was -1 and it was near the bottom - have increased it to 2 (as per your screenshot) will try it soon.

As a second question - when you encode in TMPenc do you output to MPG or m2v/m2a streams, which works best?

Thanks for all your help
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The output all depends on what you ask it to do -
    If you select VCD the output will be MPG1 and the audio combined which you can burn as a VCD.
    If you select SVCD the output will be MPG2 and the audio combined which you can burn as an SVCD
    If you select DVD the output will be an m2v video file and a wav audio file which can then be used in Authoring software like TMPGenc DVD Author to create a VIDEO_TS folder which can then be burned to a DVD-R.

You first post says you want to create DVD so you will use the last option.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I just responded to another post about Xvid conversion....I'll paste it here:

"1st....I'll assume you can play the XVid file on your computer wherein you can see the video and hear the audio....

IMO, the simplest way to convert Xvid>mpg2 is to frameserve the xvid through VirtualDub > then convert with TMPGEnc at the same time.

there is a guide Here:

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/userguides/87270.php

TMPGEnc just doesn't seem to like Xvid so I've found that using an intermediate codec is best. This method also doesn't have you treating the audio as a seperate conversion.....which for the purpose you want is unnecessary.

As far as the conversion time, using HuffYuv would most likely be quicker then uncompressed RGB, but the latter codec may yield the best quality result."

I've done several Xvid conversions and IMO this is best way for using TMPGEnc as final stage.
    Quote Quote  
  11. andyp1 - tried running using your suggestions but whenever I raise the priority above 0 (to 1 or 2) TMPGEnc crashes with an error and then resets the setting to -1 when you restart. Any ideas?

mmasw - tried using the frameserver mehtod, this also causes TMPGenc to crash with an error about failing to load ACM, any ideas?

Sorry to be a pain guys - I'm sure once I'm sorted it'll work just fine.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does your Xvid have ac3 or mp3 audio? Use G-spot to find out.
    Quote Quote  
  13. The ACM is the Audio Compression Manager. Chances are TMPG can't handle the audio. Load the video into avicodec and tell us what it says about the audio. It's probably AC3.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Audio is shown as being MP3 (from GSpot) and that I have 2 compatible codecs installed.

I have just downloaded latest TMPGenc (2.5.2.1) to try that and will post back results.

I have also run a check for errors in virtualdub and nothing was reported
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Still set that Direct Show filter to 2 before you start. By default it will be set too low.
    Quote Quote  
  16. andyp1 - set the priority of "DirectShow Multimedia File Reader" to 2. As soon as I load the file it crashes TMPGEnc
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by trotter2k
    mmasw - tried using the frameserver mehtod, this also causes TMPGenc to crash with an error about failing to load ACM, any ideas?

Sorry to be a pain guys - I'm sure once I'm sorted it'll work just fine.
    you bet I have an idea....you need to use VDub to convert the audio as well as video while frameserving. I am sure you left the 'Direct Stream Copy' option in audio on. You have to use 'Full Processing Mode' and convert audio to something TMPGEnc will accept like a .wav or mp3 or uncompressed pcm

by the way....while you're experimenting with the processes, you should use VDub to cut out a 30-60 second section of the movie you're doing so the testing doesn't take long. Pick a high motion section so you can determine how high a bitrate you want to reduce video quality degradation.

Another possible minor issue: try to copy resolution exactly. For example, if you're starting with a video of 720 X 480 resolution and you use TMPGEnc's wizard, you might end up with a 704 X 480 MPG2. That could cause a little "stretching" of the video objects. You may have to manually edit project settings in TMPGEnc so source and project resolutions match (if "Size" is 'greyed-out' simply right-click and unlock)
    Quote Quote  
  18. Have loaded a different divx file and this worked, gspot info below

The one that doesn't work is given below

Any clever ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by trotter2k
    andyp1 - set the priority of "DirectShow Multimedia File Reader" to 2. As soon as I load the file it crashes TMPGEnc

like I said.....I don't think you'll have much luck loading a newer Xvid file into TMPGEnc. It's about as easy as shoving buttermilk up a hungry bear's ass with a hot fork.

that's why the vdub frameserve method is best and simplest...IMO.

by the way, if you do frameserve, after project is complete, be sure to turn the AviProxy back off and restore DirectShow Multimedia File Reader to original priority.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by trotter2k
    Any clever ideas?
    I can't be more clever then I have so far

I'm almost positive the method I outlined will work for you...use the link to the guide

I'm also almost positive you won't be able to force the Xvid file directly into TMPGEnc, no matter how hard you push.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A lot of people are able to get TMPGEnc to decode Xvid by installing FFDSHOW. I don't have a problem with Xvid even without FFDSHOW. Go figure.
    Quote Quote  
  22. mmasw - I posted before seeing your reply sorry. I have tried your apprach and it started fine then vdub crashed saying out of bounds memory access or similar.
    I'm rapidly coming to the view that the kids will have to watch this on the PC only.

I'll have a look at ffdshow as well (last resort and all that!)
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by teegee420
    A lot of people are able to get TMPGEnc to decode Xvid by installing FFDSHOW. I don't have a problem with Xvid even without FFDSHOW. Go figure.

I haven't installed it.

2 questions about it however: will it decode latest Xvid version?

and doesn't latest FFDShow cause some playback problems for some of the Windows Media Formats?

Also I remember (earlier versions all) , that converting Xvid directly with TMPGEnc caused some audio sync problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's my two cents, in my estimation there is some kind of filter conflict on your system that is causing TMPGEnc to lock up on you. For some reason TMPGEnc is very sensitive to these kinds of problems. Trying to resolve the conflict can cause even more problems if you're undure of what you are doing. If you are unable to get things going with TMPGEnc, my advice is to use another encoder such as Mainconcept MPEG Encoder. Sometimes it's easier to work around the problem then to try and fix it. Good luck.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Have you tried saving the wav file with virtual dub using the full processing mode? Direct stream copy will just give you an exact copy of your original audio file with a wav extension.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mmasw
    Originally Posted by teegee420

I haven't installed it.

2 questions about it however: will it decode latest Xvid version?
    Yes.

and doesn't latest FFDShow cause some playback problems for some of the Windows Media Formats?
    None that I am aware of, though the latest version of FFDSHOW can cause WMP to crash. This may not apply to you.

Also I remember (earlier versions all) , that converting Xvid directly with TMPGEnc caused some audio sync problems.
    As a rule you should decompress the audio to wav and use the wav file as your audio source when converting to mpeg-2. As long as your xvid doesn't have bad frames there shouldn't be any sync problems.
    Quote Quote  
  27. All - having now tried all the suggestions and all the programs crashing out at around the same point - it must be the file.
    I will put this down to experience and "recycle" the file - there must be something wrong with it even though virtualdub declared no errors
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's quite possible that you have a bad file but it might still be worth a shot to try another encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Have tried TMPGenc, CCE, Mainconcept, virtualdub and AVI2DVD.
    Will try FFDshow but really need advice on how (or if it's worth) trying to repair the file
    Quote Quote  
  30. RESULT at last (well maybe!)
    I installed FFDshow (didnt do any configuring or setting changes)
    Loaded xvid into TMPGenc and (looking at other machine) it's currently at 25% and going fine
    Will update if successful - thanks to all for the advice/tips - at least I know lots about encoding now!
    Quote Quote