VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i got a LG GSA4040B and it takes the same time in both speeds....anyone knows what could be wrong?

im using Princo dvd-r 4x

and my firmware is A302
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sounds like your problem is the brand of media you're using. Princo is considered crappy media. Try using another brand of media like TDK, RITEK, IMATION, MAXELL or VERBATIM. What burning software are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by budz
    What burning software are you using?
    Nero 6.3.0.0
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would suggest you try a different brand of media and upgrade your nero to the latest version 6.3.1.6. Good luck! Let us know how things turned out.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Check to see if dma is enable on your drive. Use Nero Infotools to check. You can also check and enable dma for your drive using Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by kyemeng
    Check to see if dma is enable on your drive. Use Nero Infotools to check. You can also check and enable dma for your drive using Control Panel - System - Hardware - Device Manager.
    Nero infotools says its off but i cant find the "button" to turn it on , i tryed what u sai in the device manager but couldnt find anything that allowed to change it to on
    Quote Quote  
  7. what computer & OS? why not just push START open the support center & search for 'dma' ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by handyguy
    what computer & OS? why not just push START open the support center & search for 'dma' ?
    Pentium 4 @ 1.8 GHZ
    geforce 4 mmx 440 64mb
    384 mb ram

windows xp home edition
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    To enable DMA mode using the Device Manager

Open Device Manager.

Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

Click on IDE CONTROLLERS to which the device is connected, click on Primary IDE or Secondary IDE, right click on either Primary or Secondary, select Properties, and then click the Advanced Settings tab.

In the Current Transfer Mode drop-down box, select DMA if Available if the current setting is "PIO Only."
    If the drop-down box already shows "DMA if Available" but the current transfer mode is PIO, then the user must toggle the settings. That is:

• Change the selection from "DMA if available" to PIO only, and click OK.

• Then repeat the steps above to change the selection to DMA if Available

Hope this helps you out.
    Here's a website with graphics on how to enable DMA in xp:

http://www.ati.com/support/faq/winxp/winxpconfigenabledma.html

__________________________________________________ ___________
    Da Easter Bunny is coming!!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  10. just_one - Did you try enabling DMA, if so did it work?

Or anyone else, have u had this problem and then tried enabling DMA? Just wondering if this works.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by just_one
    i got a LG GSA4040B and it takes the same time in both speeds....anyone knows what could be wrong?

im using Princo dvd-r 4x

and my firmware is A302

Check out my Post here I had a similar problem and fixed it.....

https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=212465&highlight=

-Eric
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the same drive, PIII 1 GHz system and can only burn Maxell +R 4X at 2X. System has all drives set for DMA. These Taiwanese made Ricoh discs don't work as advertised. 1.6X is the max speed on them with this drive. I do wish LG would update the firmware for it again. Mine is at A302...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    @chucho311 and just_one:

No need to reformat anything. If the method for enabling DMA as described by budz doesn't work (and it usually doesn't - dunno why), use this method. This always works (only tried on Windows XP) [first three points taken from budz]:

Open Device Manager.

Double-click IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers to display the list of controllers and channels.

Click on IDE CONTROLLERS to which the device is connected, click on Primary IDE or Secondary IDE, Whichever your DVD-Burner is connected to
    VERY IMPORTANT STEP: Make sure that the Harddisk that your OS is installed on is on a Different IDE. Usually, you HDD will be on PRIMARY and your Burner will be on SECONDARY. However, somtimes this is NOT the case. IF both your HDD and your DVD-burner are on the same IDE channel, then STOP now (and put them on different channels - recommended anyways).

Assuming that your DVD-burner is on Secondary IDE Channel, right click on it and choose "Remove" or "Uninstall" (or whatever it says, i don't remember because I have windows 2000 on this office PC, and it may not be the same for XP).

After you remove or uninstall it, windows will ask you to Reboot.

REBOOT and Viola! Windows will reinstall Secondary IDE channel and DMA will be enabled. If it isnt, then you are SOL i guess.

Cheers.

@oldfart13: The Ricoh discs work better than advertised on most pc's. Its your Burner's firmware, not the discs themselves. I burn them at 6x with my NEC ND-2500A and people with Plextors and Pioneer 107 burn em at 8x.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could be because we are using PIII boards rather than P4 boards but I notice also that there is no "advanced" tab to access as well, under "resources" the "change setting" is greyed out. Guess that's one reason why I can't get the LG4040B to burn at speed. Weird though as the burners I have are on their own channels on a RAID controller. The Pioneer A05 burns fine but the LG4040B refuses to burn at speed. It's better for ripping discs though and does that at up to 7X. I just can't figure this out...
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    See my other post...fixed problem by changing from the ATA 100 card the burner was connected to directly to an IDE channel on the motherboard. Now the discs (both + and -) burn fine at 4X...
    Quote Quote  
  16. A common thread throughout these problems is older boards and processors which would also tend towards older HDs. I don't know if this applies here but in the old days of early Cd burning there was a lot of trouble burning when the data from the HD could not keep up with the burning speed of the drive. Just a thought. Maybe DVD burners slow down when they detect slower systems?
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe the battery on your clock is half empty? That's why it's showing 6:00 instead of 12:00

Seriously though, I've had that problem with Princo 4X. Nero will show "time left" befitting 4X, but the time elapsed will keep going until it is more like 2X (or even 1X).
    Quote Quote  
  18. Just_One,
    To enable DMA and PIO modes on P4 computers you need to run the Intel Application Accelerator under Programs. You can't do it in Device Mananger. Highlight your drive on the left hand pane and then double click on Transfer Mode Limit in the right hand window to select the mode you want.

But depending on your burner's firmware and the brand of disks you're burning, you may only be able to burn different speed rated disks at the same speed regardless of your DMA mode.
    Quote Quote