VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear All,

I just came back from delivery of my second son to discover that the video I shot during delivery is almost unwatchable! There is quite heavy distortion in the form of square blocks and entire horizontal lines of the pichture is distorted, moved to the right. Also the sound drops out when these distorions occur. I have purchased a cleaning tape an ran it a few times but it does not help with this particular tape. Other tapes play fine and I am also now (after cleaning) able to tape without distortions. So I gather this tape is probably not good and/or the video heads were dirty which messed up the recording. Is there any way I can correct this? Is there any software I could use? Camcorder is a Samsung VP-D77i and the tape I used was Maxell.

I would appreciate any and all help since this was a very special moment for me and my wife.
    Thanks in advance! Lars
    Quote Quote  
  2. I have a Digital 8 camcorder that had the same problem. I too purchased a tape and ran it per directions (they read play, do NOT record) without success. I took it in to camera repair, and they charged $70? to clean the heads and the problem reoccured soon after. I ran the cleaning tape again, this time recording (against disclaimer on tape box). The camera now works like it should, and I haven't hit any problems.

I don't know the mechanics of digital 8 vs mini DV. I hope this helps you find the answer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Ängsvik
    Is there any way I can correct this? Is there any software I could use
    Not really. If it's on the tape, that's what was recorded.

It seems like most website that discuss this point more toward media than bad heads, although it does sometimes happen.

A few sites discussing the same issue:
    http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=006f1G
    http://www.videouniversity.com/wwwboard/techqa/messages/16614.html
    http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t50003.html
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dear All, Thanks alot for excelent tips and ideas! One follow up question, is there any recomendations to not use DV tapes more than once? Reason for asking is that I noticed slight blocky distortion on another DV tape of about the same age and usage. I usually tape one tape full, capture to PC, edit and make DVD and then use the tape over again. This tape is maybee on its third or fourth use. I thought DV tapes should have the same life as a VHS tape. Is this incorrect? Thanks in advance, Lars
    Quote Quote  
  5. recommendations here have been not to use more than 3x and some (/many, I don't know - maybe a poll would tell) use just once & store it, so what you say seems to fit w/ that...I am not the tape expert, but tape is still tape, whether it's storing digital or analog signal - metal particles on plastic w/ a binder..lifetime may be similar, but if you record & re-record on analog, similar problems will happen just present themselves differently...there are a few prior posts on this if you search around..
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DaveS
    maybe a poll would tell
    Poll made. Take a look.
    Quote Quote