VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. i'm trying to convert an avi file at 23.97 to DVD NTSC. It appears that the conversion will take almost 24 hours. Is this a normal conversion time for this. I've converted many things with TMPEG but it never has taken anywhere near this long. If this is correct, can someone tell me what the program is doing that it takes that long (just from a curiosity standpoint).

Thanks,
    Jeff
    Quote Quote  
  2. Without your PC specs, input file specs, and complete description of what you asked the program to do, estimating the timing issue is impossible.

I have a banana in my kitchen. How cold is it?

Don't change framerate with TMPGenc. Use Pulldown.exe.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What color is your bananna ? We need to know this
    to answer the question.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is your banana ripe!?!?!? 8) :P :P
    "We know who we are, but not what we may be" - William Shakespeare
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, I was gonna tell you how long my banana is, but.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    TMPGenc is a very slow encoder, generally you just have to live with the long encodes or go with a higher end program. But, in this case there is probably a decent explanation. The only way to properly convert 23.976fps to 29.97fps is to run a telecine. This is a very complex procedure (CPU wise) which requires that each frame be split into fields and that the fields be repeated in a 2:3 pattern. This would definitely take longer than a typical encode.

Now with that said, you are doing this all wrong. Unless you need analogue output, there is basically no reason to ever do this type of conversion. As you have noticed, it takes a long time and actually it is significantly lower quality. The DVD standard supports the 23.976fps framerate internally. This means that you can encode at 23.976fps, and then just enable the RFF/TFF flag and the player will telecine it to 29.97fps in real time as it plays. This gives you a huge increase in quality and makes the encoding process faster and easier to boot.

In TMPGEnc, simply set the output fps to 23.976fps, and set the encode mode on the video tab to 3:2 pulldown when playback. If you are using the DVD template than just load the unlock template first to change these settings. All 23.976fps sources should always be kept that way for NTSC output.

As Nelson37 said, you can also use pulldown.exe to enable the pulldown flags as well. So you'd just encode to 23.976fps using any mpeg encoder first, then run it through pulldown.exe.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I assume I continue to use the DVD NTSC setting for No. America so I've changed the settings and started the conversion. However, the time left from TMPEGnc is showing some ungodly time left. SOmething like triple the time it was when I originally asked the question.

as far as the rff/tff flag, that's on the actual dvd player, correct?

i just checked and the time left is showing 90 hrs. Thios can;t be correct.

Thanks,
    Quote Quote