VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Thread
  1. Any way to achieved reverse process to extract pictures from photo VCD
    .DAT file. VCD contains photos and transition effect in between in .DAT format.

I am new to this forum, so if this is not proper place, please don't flame me.

Thanks,

shreeit

Search PM
    Yes and no.

What you've got there in the .DAT (not a true file per se) is an MPEG stream with audio and video. No still pictures. At all.

Here is what you can do:

1. Extract the MPEG from the DAT (try VCDGear). Now you have *.mpg
    2. Demux the MPEG into its component audio and video (try TMPGEnc). Now you have *.mp2 (audio) and *.m1v (video)
    3. Open the *.m1v in an editor that supports MPEG1 (try VirtualDub).
    4. Jump around to the areas where you have non-changing material (i.e. skip the transitions). When you're parked at a good pic, export that single frame to a file.
    ***Don't RE-compress to jpg, please. It's already been compressed at least once (more like 2 or 3 times) and another round of compression is just gonna gunk it up even more. Use png,tif,psd,bmp,etc.
    5. Repeat #4 until you're done. *Make sure you don't de-interlace--you don't have to since VCD's aren't interlaced. If you tried, you'd lose 1/2 the vertical resolution--more blurry.

That's the best you can do.
    Hope that helps,

Scott

P.s. If you make further VCD's, think ahead and put the source photos/jpgs in a PHOTOS folder in the ISO(Track1) section.

>>>>>>>>>>edit<<<<<<<<<<<<
    I was thinking you were meaning the AVSEQ##.DAT tracks in the MPEGAV directory. It's possible you were meaning the ITEM####.DAT segments, which would could include still elements in the MPEG streams.

3. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    please don't cross post.