VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hey all. I have a RealMagic Hollywood Plus (Revision B). I want to use it to watch my mpgs through my TV (since it only reads mpgs) using the software that the H+ comes with which is Dvd Station. I am using TMPGEnc to convert Divx & Xvid files to Mpg. Of course I am using VirtualDub to save the wav first so i dont have any Audio sync problems. Ok I have sucessfully converted a Divx file to mpg and watched it on my TV by opening it with DVD station. But when I convert a Xvid file to mpg. It wont play on the Dvd Station software but will still play in Windows Media Player. I have Divx 5.01 and Xvid codec installed and I have d/l both GSpot Codec and VideoToolBox to view the attributes of the .avi files. When I use Videotoolbox or Gspot to check the attributes of the video file i noticed that the one that works with the TV sais it was encoded with Divx 5.0 while the vid file that doesnt work with the TV but work still in windows media player after being converted to Mpg say encoded (OpenDivx 4.0 from VideoTool Box) / (4ccIVX/xvid. NameivX 4 (OpenDivX), Gspot). The other vid file that also doesnt work sais (Xvid Mpeg-4 Codec, VideoToolBox) / (4cc:Xvid, Name:Xvid, Gspot). It stumps me since if im converting to a whole new format it should work regardless right? Well if anyone has answer to please tell me. Im going crazy : (
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm a little confused. You say, you take a DivX avi and convert it to Mpg using TmpgEnc right. Then you play the mpg file through another program (Dvd Station) and out to your Tv right.....

But when you convert an Xvid avi to mpg, same way as above I assume, it won't play through the program (Dvd Station) and out to your Tv.

Wow that is indeed weird. Xvid or DivX it should not matter what the original format is the output format is indeed a mpg file. Are you keeping the mpg output specs the same. If Dvd Station will only play mpg files of a certin spec say a dvd spec NTSC 720*480 29.970fps then both avi must be converted as such... My guess is and here you can help me by using G-spot and giving me some more details about the avi

Look for >>>>>>>>fps of avi this is very important Next please tell me are you in a PAL region or a NTSC region. With these two questions answered I can give you a solution.....

Looking forward to your reply...

Archie
    Think Before You Do It
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jamesbond1960
    I'm a little confused. You say, you take a DivX avi and convert it to Mpg using TmpgEnc right. Then you play the mpg file through another program (Dvd Station) and out to your Tv right.....

But when you convert an Xvid avi to mpg, same way as above I assume, it won't play through the program (Dvd Station) and out to your Tv.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    That is what I do exactly. I convert it using the same specs as I did for the Divx one.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wow that is indeed weird. Xvid or DivX it should not matter what the original format is the output format is indeed a mpg file. Are you keeping the mpg output specs the same. If Dvd Station will only play mpg files of a certin spec say a dvd spec NTSC 720*480 29.970fps then both avi must be converted as such... My guess is and here you can help me by using G-spot and giving me some more details about the avi

Look for >>>>>>>>fps of avi this is very important Next please tell me are you in a PAL region or a NTSC region. With these two questions answered I can give you a solution.....

Looking forward to your reply...

Archie

Ok. On the Xvid file that doesnt work its

FPS: 23.980 and I am NTSC region. As for the 2 Divx files that i have that work to my TV they have FPS:23.976 and the other one is FPS:29.970.

Thanks alot.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well I guess you read my reply and your confused also heh. Thanks anyways jamesbond1960 ; ). I have a new Idea. Since i know converting from Divx 5.0 to mpg works on my TV. Im thinking just to convert the Xvid and Divx 4.0 files to Divx 5.0 and from there convert it to Mpg, And see if i can then watch it through my TV. Well what is the fastest / easiest way to convert from Xvid to Divx ? : ) I hope its possible heh *_* thanks.
    Quote Quote