VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi all,
    If the price is same, which drive is better??
    all 8X+-R ....

"NEC 2500A"
    "Ricoh MP5308D"
    "HP420i"

thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  2. I think the 420i is a rebadged NEC2500A. They're taking the 420i and cloning it and using it on the NEC2500 for the added bitsetting capability.

Here's the database and user comments:

https://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDname=&cdrs=&cdrws=&dvdrs=&dvdrws=&dvdprs=8&d...&Search=Search
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks.....
    but... the HP homepage show this 420i only support CD-R at 24X burning speed.... and the 2500a is 32X.. why??

and is it the Ricoh MP5308D also NEC 2500A OEM??

thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  4. HP dvd420i that shows up as a 420n is a rebadged ND-2500A. I think they only specify 24x/10x CD-R/RW speed because BenQ/Philips might take over the production later and their drives currently only support 24x/10x. From what I read the dvd420n is really 32x/16x CD-R/RW though. The HP drive burns DVD+R as DVD-ROM by default and supports changing book type on DVD+RW.
    Ricoh MP5308D is a rebadged NEC ND-2500A too. It has not been confirmed whether it supports bitsetting/changing of book type or not.
    There is also a patched firmware for the ND-2500A out which is based on the HP 420n and therefore supports bitsetting.
    Quote Quote  
  5. So if you don't mind flashing hacked firmware go with the NEC and you can use either HPs or NEC's firmware, but probably not vise versa.
    Quote Quote  
  6. thank you all.....
    Quote Quote