VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. FYI:

The BenQ DW822A is the 1st dual layer (DVD9) capable burner and is $129 at Supermediastore (rating is a 7). It also does plus and minus media and is also bitsetting capable. They will have it in stock tomorrow 3/25 (also confirmed with BenQ USA). The price of the firmware upgrade will not be know till next month. The DVD9 firmware upgrade will not be available to Q3. Unofficially, I heard from the BenQ optical manager that the firmware upgrade should be free.

http://www.supermediastore.com/benq-dw822a-dual-dvdrw.html

http://www.benq.com/storage/storage_dvdrw_dw822a.html

Also saw that Sony estimate an intro price of DL blanks at $5.

Per the BenQ website:

o Double-Layer (+R9) Upgradeable for up to 8.5GB of Data

C't magazine highly rated its predecessor's (DW800A) burn quality (100 is highest, look for large chart in middle of thread):

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13405&start=0

Update: they have it in stock for $101 free shipping

http://www.bananapc.com/products/productInfo.aspx?category_id=1120&product_id=11955&se...ng=dw822a&Op=2
    Quote Quote  
  2. Um...thats not dual layer. It's dual format.
    -Yar, matey!-
    Quote Quote  
  3. Oops. It says "Upgreadeable for up to 8.5GB of data"

You'd think a GOOD company would come out with it first, eh? And why is it so cheap? And HOW in the world is it upgradeable?
    -Yar, matey!-
    Quote Quote  
  4. Its say upgradeable via firmware per supermediastore, but was also announced 2 weeks ago by BenQ Europe. You heard of firmware haven't you? You need to read more closely.

Chances are when their DW830A that is dual layer operable "as is" comes out in the beginning of May they (BenQ) will also be the first. I believe they were the first to offer an 8x burner.

Why so cheap? Probably as announced earlier Philips said some chipsets already out could do DVD9 with a software upgrade, so there probably wasn't a load of part chances need to be made over the DW800, that's a guess on my part.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, while this certainly is exciting news, Vanderlow, I'm all too familiar with another term:

Ever herd of "VAPORWARE"???

I raise this as the proud owner (still) of an Amiga 1000 who is still waiting for the IBM-PC OS to be released, as Commodor Computer promised! (and if anyone else remembers or cares I DON'T mean the sidecar!)

My point is, if it can't do it today, ...
    IT CAN'T DO IT TODAY!!!
    Better to wait until it CAN.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Well they haven't not made good on any of their other promises. I'm putting it out there for those that need a burner today. I'd rather have a burner that promises to be future proof and besides its loaded with features, has probable great burn quality (as the DW800A does), and is a reasonable price as is TODAY.
    Quote Quote  
  7. if this baby is less than 200...then is awsome, if not, better buy a brand new dual layer.....
    where is Nec and Pioneer ???? I don't trust Sony, I'm waiting for Nec or Pioneer...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Its $129 how much the firmware upgrade is won't be know till next month, but I'm guessing $30-$50.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by arklab
    My point is, if it can't do it today, ...
    IT CAN'T DO IT TODAY!!!
    Better to wait until it CAN.
    Actually it CAN do it today. They are just waiting for the dual layer MEDIA to come out.

Why put out a dual layer writer or its firmware when there is NO media for it. BenQ is just too far ahead of everyone else!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hrm hrm, should I return my DVD420i now and wait for dual layer DVD drive? ...
    Quote Quote  
  11. you better wait 2 more months...it worth
    the media is aorund the corner... [/url]
    Quote Quote  
  12. Ok is this dual layer capability due to hardware AND firmware changes, and they just haven't implimented the firmware changes yet, or once this firmware is released for this and other new drives, will it be able to be hacked and used for other similar/rebadged/whatever drives?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Its just a firmware upgrade that will be needed (probably downloadable), but this is a new model, but with an already used chip set (I think) the Philips Nexperia (sp?). They probably had to make some minor hardware modifications, so I doubt the upcoming firmware will work on any present day burners, but this one.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It's nice to see the price of the drives may be reasonable, but the pricing of the discs is prohibitive! I myself waited until DVD blanks (decent ones) could be gotten for $2 before buying my first A04. I plan to do the same if and when the price of DVD DL goes that low (we'll see.)

Andy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hopefully dual layer drives will also drive down the price of double-sided discs for those of us who don't want to hop on the bandwagon right away. They're still around $2+ a disc.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Vanderlow
    Its just a firmware upgrade that will be needed (probably downloadable), but this is a new model, but with an already used chip set (I think) the Philips Nexperia (sp?). They probably had to make some minor hardware modifications, so I doubt the upcoming firmware will work on any present day burners, but this one.
    Why don't they just release it as already upgraded to do dual layer? Seems sketchy...maybe it's a legal thing.
    Quote Quote  
  17. I'm curious. If they charge for the firmware upgrade, what stops the binary from being posted on the web? Well, they would have to ID each drive and provide a custom firmware binary, right? But if they do that, doesn't that mean that firmware upgrades would always be tied to the device? So am I stretching it too far to think that means these drives can't have region-free firmware hacks, because one firmware binary won't work on all drives?

Xesdeeni
    Quote Quote  
  18. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  19. I as recall when they did there minus firmware upgrade which was $10 you're right. Somehow you enter in your serial number ...and I quess you could go out to BenQ and see what steps you have to go for minus firmware upgrade they charged and it should be similar. But somehow I never got wind of a cheat or hack minus firmware floating around. Maybe it wasn't important enough.
    Quote Quote  
  20. why now?? well many many people know DL is coming out and are waiting for that.. if so, they can buy this with confidence. In fact I think I'll get one.. or should I wait for Bluray
    Why the wait .. wel, they have to wait until their tests with DL media complete and they can decide how strong to make the laser
    ? Strong enough to burn Bonds 'nads off??
    or just good enough for lasik eye-surgery if you keep the drive door open?
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    At that price its very temping.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PhilipL
    This is quite simple to answer, the technology simply isn't ready, but marketing takes priority and Benq wants to be first with a double-layer writer, only that is what it isn't.

Regards

Philip
    LOL. Of course the technology is ready! I believe that BenQ is waiting on the media to become available first. If they were to put this drive out now with no media then I wouldnt want to be working the phone lines at customer service for them.

Look at it this way. You are ready to buy a writer now. You know double layer is around the corner, but you really want a drive NOW. Solution? Buy this and pay only for what is available to burn right now and that is 8x single layer. A month or so down the road here come the double layer discs and instead of being bummed that u can only write single layer, u upgrade what u have and now ur ready to go.

Dont alot of people wish they could upgrade their burner they bought 2 years ago to write 8x or - or + ? LOL.

I think it s a sweet idea really.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone remember the compatability problems when recordable DVD-R first came out?

Also, anyone have experience with hardware from this BenQ company? Do they make quality stuff or junk?
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have a BenQ clone. the Khypermedia version, but it is pretty much a BenQ. I bought it form $69.00 +R then paid a one time $10.00 for an upgrade firmware flash to make it -R. then free upgrade to -R 4x.

Worked great too. they did pull the -R4x firmware flash for some reason, I dunno. I always write using dvd author, but had a prob with -R 4x with it, so i now burn -R with nero and +R with dvd author and all is superb.

Im guessing there were some minor glitches with certain software writing to -R4x so they yanked the 4x firmware. Im fine with it though.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Rapiddog:

>>>>>>>why now?? well many many people know DL is coming out and are waiting for that.. if so, they can buy this with confidence. In fact I think I'll get one.. or should I wait for Bluray <<<<<<<

"The first Blu-Ray recorders are already on the market, but for consumer electronics makers it will be 2006 or 2007 before we see the first pre-recorded blue laser DVD disks," Buma said.

New DVD format delayed as Hollywood takes the stage

http://www.forbes.com/technology/newswire/2004/03/30/rtr1316620.html

Rapiddog again:

>>>>>>>>>Why the wait .. wel, they have to wait until their tests with DL media complete and they can decide how strong to make the laser
    ? Strong enough to burn Bonds 'nads off??
    or just good enough for lasik eye-surgery if you keep the drive door open?<<<<<<<<<<<<

Anandtech article describes it as being much easier then you think:

DVD Dual Layer Primer

Reading and writing to the second layer (L1) is surprisingly simple; the laser simply focuses a fraction of a millimeter farther beyond the first recording layer - in focus with the L1. Since the laser is powerful enough, and L0 is transparent enough, L1 can be easily read.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=2010
    Quote Quote  
  26. Didn't Pioneer say they were releasing a firmware upgrade for the DVR-106 for it to be able to burn dual layer disc??
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Vanderlow
    Price is now $101!
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  28. i want a dual layer...but a better wait for a second genaration.....or tird one.
    for now, i'll stick to single layer....
    Quote Quote