VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Was about DL not bluray
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Just a follow up:

I got a phone call after a 3 week email from BenQ pre-sales asking about the DW822A and DW830A and the lady said they wouldn't be out till June. I said that's funny there's two stores carrying the DW822A right now. She transfered me to the manager in tech support who said the same thing and said he was looking at a "prototype" and was still testing it for drivers. Of course none of these people heard of CEBIT or their announcements. Anyway I called the two stores and they both called back swearing they had legit DW822A and in stock. One gave me the BenQ optical driver manager's phone number (Harry Hu) who said they were real DW822As and that he'd let the pre-sales people know (they're in the same office too!). He also said the DVD9 firmware upgrade would be free and guaranteed it would work and they only charge for the minus firmware on the DW800A due to a royalty situation. He said the DW830A was slated for late June. I called pre-sales the next day and they seem to be in the loop now.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know if there's any advantage to waiting for the 830A other than you wont need to upgrade firmware?
    I don't have a bad attitude...
    Life has a bad attitude!
    Quote Quote  
  4. DW830A: As I understand it from the CEBIT news coverage, it's suppose to have BenQ/Philips 2nd generation OPC (sort of like their laser guidance system) and it comes DVD9 out of the box, obviously whenever its released. It current OPC seems to be doing quite well given the reviews.

If someone already had a fine working burner now I see no reason to trade in and get this one, but for someone who needs a 8x burner today for $101 it seems to be one of the better if not best choice, although it would be nice to see someone else buy a 822 and see some K-probes on it first, but it shouldn't be any less of a performer then the 800. Only small drawback is 24x Cd-r burning and BenQ is Asus and Asus wasn't know for good CD-r burners, but from reviews and postings their DVD burners seem to be much better now.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has anyone bought one of these DW822A's yet? Does it work well as a standard 8x +/4x - burner?

I'm refurbing an older PC (PIII/1.4GHz) for LD -> DVD conversions and want to remove the old scsi card & CD drive to "simplify" the box. I've got a Sony 500UX (external 4X +/-) on my main PC ... so I could easily move it between boxes for burning & buy a $30 CD reader for the rebuilt box (to install s/w from, etc) ... but for $101 delivered, I'm wondering if it just wouldn't make more sense to go this route and potentially get a dual layer burner (assuming that aspect really does pan out) as well.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

pat----
    Quote Quote  
  6. Is BenQ holding off on the firmware update until they have some actual dual-layer blanks they can calibrate their firmware to?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I would hope that benQ already has all the dual layer media they need right now to do testing. I'ts a safe bet that dual layer media is already available to hardware makers.
    I just think they arent selling the dual layer firmware until dual layer media is available to the masses.

If people paid for the complete dual layer burner, but cant find dual layer media to burn on then they will be bitching to benQ about why they paid this money but cant use the burner for dual layer burning.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I would assume on the first actual DL burners there would be pressure to include at least one blank DL disk.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As I am sure most people realize drive control is not the only function of the firmware. This explains why they didn't "just put it out" as some people so aptly commented. The second function fo the firmware is a media database. The firmware in most every drive holds a sort of media database. This is why using the wrong media in older drives would destroy your laser. Anyway, it would be kind of hard to put out a DL capable burner when there is no media to put in the media catalog in the firmware.
    The real answer lies in completely understanding the question!
    Quote Quote  
  10. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  11. ...and here...
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=65987

...and here
    http://www.cdrinfo.com/forum/tm.asp?m=65991

This is the first step; future updates (firmware, burning software, new medias) will improve it.
    You stop me again whilst I'm walking and I'll cut your fv<king Jacob's off.
    Quote Quote  
  12. bananapc.com is not the place to get it from. Resellerratings.com has them 4.52 rating out of 10. Buying from them is risky and it's almost a 50/50 chance you'll have sucess with them.
    Quote Quote  
  13. liteon 812s can supposedly have its firmware upgraded to allow dual layer burning

and the liteon832 which is out very soon can do dual layer burning and is out today [its the 6th one on the page linked to at present]
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/DVD_RW_Drives.html
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by indolikaa
    Is BenQ holding off on the firmware update until they have some actual dual-layer blanks they can calibrate their firmware to?
    So far Mitsubishi 2.4x +R is the only one available and they are in short supply.
    As for the burn results:the PI/PO doesn't look good...too many errors...hopefully future firmware will fix that.
    Quote Quote  
  15. liteon 812s can supposedly have its firmware upgraded to allow dual layer burning
    Well that's not official and will likely not be supported by Lite-on officially, and so far is speculation. The 812 does have a different spindle motor and laser block, so you'll have to cross you're fingers and hope for the best.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  17. Ho hum....
    I seem to remember Pioneer issuing a press release for DVD-R DL last Sept ............... a day after the DVD+R DL announcement..............this presumably means that DVD-R DL will be released a day after DVD+R DL

Pots and Kettles.............
    Quote Quote  
  18. [quote="arklab"]
    I raise this as the proud owner (still) of an Amiga 1000 who is still waiting for the IBM-PC OS to be released, as Commodor Computer promised! (and if anyone else remembers or cares I DON'T mean the sidecar!) quote]

Interested in an Amiga 1200 with an 030 scsi card???
    Quote Quote  
  19. Withdrawn
    Quote Quote  
  20. The original +RW announcement wasn't a product release either!!

http://www.dvdrw.com/press/press-releases.htm

Get a life Philip!

All you do on this forum is bash the DVD+RW Format ..............which is rarely constructive or useful at all

The "+RW camp" as you call it includes most drive manufacturers none of which I suspect are having a gun held to their heads by the +RW Alliance.

Please carry on giving valuable information on Pioneer's marketing or lack of it.

Just think only 16 months ago you predicted that the +RW format was about to be dropped.
    Take a look

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=asldod%24fra%244%4....uk%26rnum%3D1

There was very little useful to say there don't you think?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by indolikaa
    Is BenQ holding off on the firmware update until they have some actual dual-layer blanks they can calibrate their firmware to?
    Almost certainly...... but it could be a fiendish marketing plot by those really nasty people at the +RW Alliance..........
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hi

Lol KDH, you really are struggling, nothing to offer but you just can not help yourself in trolling me.

Maybe you should take your own advice about not bashing and apply that thought when you are just about to troll a post of mine

Keep up the fantastic work you do around these parts mate, you do make me laugh :P

Regards

Philip

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator Baldrick

Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by PhilipL
    Hi

Lol KDH, you really are struggling, nothing to offer but you just can not help yourself in trolling me.

Maybe you should take your own advice about not bashing and apply that thought when you are just about to troll a post of mine

Keep up the fantastic work you do around these parts mate, you do make me laugh :P

Regards

Philip

Still nothing useful.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning.
    / Moderator Baldrick

Quote Quote  
  24. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    if you want to discuss + vs - do it somewhere else.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I just got the drive the BenQ DW822A-0C2 and right on the front of the box it says the new firmware will be downloadable by September 30th 2004 on BenQ's webiste.
    Quote Quote  
  26. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda21000
    I just got the drive the BenQ DW822A-0C2 and right on the front of the box it says the new firmware will be downloadable by September 30th 2004 on BenQ's webiste.
    In september will all we others have blueray / hd-dvd writers.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Originally Posted by yoda21000
    I just got the drive the BenQ DW822A-0C2 and right on the front of the box it says the new firmware will be downloadable by September 30th 2004 on BenQ's webiste.
    In september will all we others have blueray / hd-dvd writers.
    What year, Baldrick?
    Quote Quote  
  28. When dual layer dvd's are out, I highly doubht blu-ray will be out by the end of the year. Maybe in a couple of years when the market is ready for it and when the media is available. Heck were still wiating for dual layer media. And the drives aren't even out yet.
    Quote Quote