VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Now check this out....when I try to use DIVX compression while capturing with VirtualDub, the CPU cycles shoot all the way to 100 percent. What a memory hog DIVX is. And man do I really start to drop frames. I mean, I disable everything, run a 16bit video screen, unload all the DLL(s) in windows, free up all available memory and run cacheman and the SOB still drops frames, that is with a new Western Digital 35GB hard disk and a 733Mhz Pentium processor and 196MB of memory. And by the way, only 10Ghz is used on the hard disk, has been defragged. Settings on DIVX 4.02 new release are 1200Kbs video rate, 85%quality setting, 1 Pass, key frames at 100, frame search set to 5. Any help appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Gladiator,

What resolution are you capturing? Using DivX I can capture fine at 320x240 using less than 50% of CPU most of the time and if I play off one hard drive and record to a second, I can watch one recording while recording something else. However, if I step up the resolution, I start losing numerous frames. My maxhine is a 700mhx PIII.

If you are trying to capture at the 1200 bit rate you may better off capturing at the lower resolution using DivX from what I understand. From what I have read on different boards, capturing a higher resolution will yield a sharper, but blockier product whereas the lower resolution will be smoother, but not as sharp. I guess it all depends on what looks best to you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. What operating system do you have? WIN2000 is a bust with Divx, I use DIVX 4.01 with WIN98 Gold at 100% at highest bitrate and only get from 14% to 31% of my CPU usage with NO frame drops I am using a 1.2 gig thunderbird.
    Quote Quote