VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Im looking to buy a DVD-ROM to do my ripping and wanted some suggestions. Im considering the cheap 16X Samsung or Lite-On that are like $20 on Pricewatch. Thanks for responses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't speak for Samsung but I would go with Lite-on. I've owned their DVD and CD-R(W) drives and have never had a single problem. I take that back, I did have a problem when I accidently placed a disc in the tray without realizing there was one in it already. That of course falls under the category of "dumb-ass user errors". The drive made the most ungodly noises I've ever heard but the thing works flawlessly to this day. I've even done it twice! How's that for a testimonial?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by teegee420
    I can't speak for Samsung but I would go with Lite-on. I've owned their DVD and CD-R(W) drives and have never had a single problem. I take that back, I did have a problem when I accidently placed a disc in the tray without realizing there was one in it already. That of course falls under the category of "dumb-ass user errors". The drive made the most ungodly noises I've ever heard but the thing works flawlessly to this day. I've even done it twice! How's that for a testimonial?
    Well Ive done the SAME thing with my DVD Writer lol. Its placed so high on my tower that my keyboard pullout blocks the view of it and I threw a blank in without seeing one in their lol. Thanks for the suggestion.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I had a samsung dvd-rom sd612s and it wouldnt read bugs life at all but my dvd player and newer dvd-rom would, also errors on other retail dvd will ripping.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I can't fault my lite-on, I bought it on the recommendation from others on this site and stick one in every upgrade I do, inc. friends and family.
    Will Hay
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  6. The LiteOn would read a soggy beer mat if it wanted. They're quiet and reliable. Used them for many computers now, none have given a hint of trouble.

I was unlucky not to be able to get a hold of one for my PC - I have an LG which is OK but not as nice as the LiteOn.

Cobra
    Quote Quote