VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Thread
    Search PM
    @Defcon:
    For the record, I have an LG DV6812P and it does not display any logos, etc. when zooming.

@Craig Tucker:
    Originally Posted by Jimmalenko
    There's no reason why a bit of research such as the DVD Players list here couldn't be done to ascertain this beforehand.
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    If it's listed, sure. But as for the zoom caption, even the DVD player list would not give that sort of detailed information.
    Sorry, Craig, I think you misunderstood me. I meant to check the compatibility to see whether the player plays VCDs or not because that was the example you used.

I looked after this side of it by taking some DVDRs and VCDs into the shop with me. If it didn't play them, I didn't even think about taking them home. If the shopkeeper wasn't happy with that, he didn't get my sale. So yes, you can try before you buy.
    Thats fine if you are buying from an AV store with the facility to do this. The player I just bought was only stocked by a particular supermarket chain, there is no facility to try it in store, but they are prepared to take it back if you are not satisfied with it. It was at such a good price, it would be silly to dismiss it just because you could not try it in store.
    You surprise me greatly here Craig. My experiences here in Australia have lead me to belive that electrical equipment does not belong in a supermarket, and if it is available there then it is probably not the best. Things may be different in your part of the world - I don't know. I certainly wouldn't touch some of the players the supermarkets sell over here with a 10ft barge pole. I know finances can often come into it but I prefer to get things with a nice mix of quality and a low price.

@Alan69:
    This thread contains opinions based on experiences. I regret that you have had to resort to a personal attack given I have only replied with information learnt throughout my experiences. If my opinions are wrong, then let me know and show a bit of decorum when you do.

Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Because they're too damn stupid to own a computer, that's why !
    Originally Posted by Alan69
    You need to pack your own up right now..
    I'll be fine, but thanks for your concern. In fact my 3 computers are all running very well and won't need to be packed up until I move again.

I'm sure that there will be a button on the remote that you can press to get rid of your annoying little symbol....chief.
    Hard to believe anyone in IT isn't smarter than this. User interface problems are the number one failure in all software and firmware. Anyone dense enough to say this like they're all perfect certainly isn't good enough to be in IT, whether they are or not.
    My experiences have shown me that user error far and away exceeds interface problems when it comes to the sources of problems. User interface problems reflect very badly on the manufacturers. I have only come across and will only purchase reputable electronic equipment and I have not had any problems so far.

Maybe you just need some lessons in the art of using a Remote Control....
    You could stand some instruction on being less of an idiot yourself.

Funny how your arguments have to change to compensate for your density:
    "You must admit, returning a dvd player because it won't do what it isn't meant to do is pretty rare."
    "There's no reason why a bit of research such as the DVD Players list here couldn't be done to ascertain this beforehand."
    If it wasn't meant to do it like you incorrectly say in the first, then why the hell do you think it'd be listed in the reviews?
    I think you've taken me well out of context there considering that they are answers to two different questions from Craig Tucker. The 2nd response is in reference to Craig's analogy regarding VCDs.

There are plenty that leave symbols up when zooming.
    That's fine, mate. You are entitled to your opinion based on your personal experiences.

It's perfectly fine to want one without if desired. You're just clueless. You're also clearly a 'confuse the issue to cover your mistakes' kind of IT guy rather than a 'know your shit' type. Hell I'd expect to get fired if an employer saw me say something as dumb as what you've posted in this thread, better hope they don't read up on you and do the smart thing. Not even just uncalled for, but so wrong it's assinine. Just plain funny you'd be trying out to make out like he was the clueless one.

Someone should set your post counter back about 2000. -1350 or so should give around a year or so of clear warning you're clueless. Not like you're the only one that outta be in negative numbers though, there seem to be plenty, even a few others just in this thread. Or just set to 0 permanently might work too.
    The difference is, that in each post I have had made suggestions on rectifying the problem. You have not. All you have done is made judgements and attacks on my skills based on a few posts in this thread. Again, you are entitled to your opinion and while I don't agree with it, out of courtesy I respect it. Its a pity you can't do the same.
    If in doubt, Google it.

Search Comp PM
    I'm probably reading this forum a bit late, but guys, if you don't have anything useful to say, don't waste our time and yours. Go do something else. THIS IS NOT A CHAT ROOM. It's a forum. Defcon asked a reasonable question; however, if you don't feel the same way, then why do you feel the need to tell him that he's stupid. It's not like he came into a post you made, didn't say anything useful, and wasted your time (and maybe even offended you) with stupid remarks (actually, you're the ones that did that). If someone asked a question that did not appeal to me, why would I even go into the thread, much less type a reply. Do you guys only come here when you're bored!!!??? Obviously, the zoom function means nothing to you. Go find information that actually helps you in your Capturing, Encoding, Authoring, Playing, etc. After many trial runs, I've gotten stuck and wanted a reply, but I don't want people that don't care and just want to insult me. If you're a genius in all of these areas, CONGRATULATIONS! I'm not and don't care to be one. I just want to view my stuff in high quality on my own TV. If you've got a problem with that, then GET OUT OF MY FACE.

BROADCAST:
    The Forum Police are out there!
    LOLLL

3. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    You surprise me greatly here Craig. My experiences here in Australia have lead me to belive that electrical equipment does not belong in a supermarket, and if it is available there then it is probably not the best. Things may be different in your part of the world - I don't know. I certainly wouldn't touch some of the players the supermarkets sell over here with a 10ft barge pole. I know finances can often come into it but I prefer to get things with a nice mix of quality and a low price.
    But when you are buying 3 for the bedrooms price comes into it a lot. The players in question were only £37.49 each, play absolutely everything out of the box even jpegs, karaoke discs and dvd-mp3, which is a lot more than my main £350 Pioneer 636 will play, hell my 636 won't even play SVCD, and I can't tell any difference in picture quality.

Perhaps things are different here, but if a supermarket is selling an identicle electrical item considerably cheaper than an AV store, then I know where I will be buying it from (are you saying you are willing to pay more for the same product just because you are buying from an AV store). You can get some good deals in supermarket over here whether it be electrical goods, clothes, toys etc and in my experience they are a lot easier to deal with, most will give a refund no questions asked, you dont need to give a reason for the return, and one supermarket here has a free 3 year warranty on all its electrical goods. I don't think you will get that in an AV store. The only advantage of an AV store (assuming like for like product, obviously an AV store will have a far more extensive range of products) is that you might be served by someone who knows a little bit about the goods that they are selling (but don't hold your breath), fine for the technophobe but in my case I invariably know a lot more about the products than they do.

Search PM
    But when you are buying 3 for the bedrooms price comes into it a lot. The players in question were only £37.49 each, play absolutely everything out of the box even jpegs, karaoke discs and dvd-mp3, which is a lot more than my main £350 Pioneer 636 will play, hell my 636 won't even play SVCD, and I can't tell any difference in picture quality.
    Fair enough then. That's why I said
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Things may be different in your part of the world - I don't know.
    If in doubt, Google it.

Search Comp PM
    people are so sensative these days, this thread has gottin out of control.

FulciLives
    He would take the LaserDiscs back (he had no choice) but he would tell them rather rudely that they might as well just return their LaserDisc player since most movies where widescreen on LD then. They would look at him in shock. Luckily he was a manager and could get away with that hehehe ... now he owns his own video rental store and pisses off a lot more poeple!
    he's my hero, reminds of jay in the movie clerks...haha

but the only way your gonna find what your lookin for defcon is to go to the store and test the dvd players out. maybe go to the expensive store to test it out, then go buy the same model dvd player from the cheaper store

Search PM
    Perhaps things are different here, but if a supermarket is selling an identicle electrical item considerably cheaper than an AV store, then I know where I will be buying it from (are you saying you are willing to pay more for the same product just because you are buying from an AV store).
    I agree. If the product is ridgey-didge then its fine to buy where you get the cheaper price.

You can get some good deals in supermarket over here whether it be electrical goods, clothes, toys etc and in my experience they are a lot easier to deal with, most will give a refund no questions asked, you dont need to give a reason for the return, and one supermarket here has a free 3 year warranty on all its electrical goods. I don't think you will get that in an AV store.
    Most AV stores I have dealt with only honour the individual manufacturers' warranties. I'm guessing it's the same for you guys. You will always go to where you can get the best deal on the product you want.

The only advantage of an AV store (assuming like for like product, obviously an AV store will have a far more extensive range of products) is that you might be served by someone who knows a little bit about the goods that they are selling (but don't hold your breath), fine for the technophobe but in my case I invariably know a lot more about the products than they do.
    Fair enough then. Each to their own.
    If in doubt, Google it.

Search Comp PM
    This makes me laugh almost as much as my former pal who told me he couldn't watch something I gave him that formerly he had been looking for

"ITS 4x3" he told me
    "So" I say "Whats Wrong with that?"
    "can't view it properly on my plasma screen" he replies

To which I say ...his LOSS
    It AMAZES ME LIKE JOHN SAYS THAT PEOPLE WOULD WANT TO WATCH A ZOOMED MOVIE TO 'FILL' THEIR WIDESREEN!!!

Now technology dictates the CONTENT WE WATCH??
    What is wrong with this picture?

8. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    If the product is ridgey-didge
    Sorry Jim, you will have to explain this one for me.

9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    For those who say that you can fully test be4 you buy... well, if you buy a washer do you take your dirty loundry to the store to test it? You learn as you go. In my case I've had hard time explaining the problem to the manufacturer and even harder getting a fix. I'm still waiting...
    You say buy another one? Well, there was no DVD player at that time with that quality and set of features. Today it's different. DVD players are cheap and plentiful.
    This thread is a good example of extremism and its dangers. How can you argue with an argument like that:
    I'd still watch widesceen if all I had was a 13" TV
    I don't care about picture size. I care about OAR
    I don't blame him...

or others telling you how to buy things.. etc. (hehe)

This is fine with me. This site is not about preaching. Not always what is best for you (reader) is best for me. Some paint their rooms black, some pink. Don't patronize others and give them the "advice" that is either offensive or just plain dumb.

10. Just a follow up on my original post, After going thru all the advice everyone gave me, I didn't want to order a DVD player in the event I had to ship/return it (Although the Lite-On and especially the Malata I REALLY WANTED that Fulci posted earlier) but to avoid further headaches I went to a Major eletronics store in my area and after some pandering was able to test a few DVD players at the store.

I ended up with getting a Toshiba SD-3960 and plays virtually anything that goes into it. Good picture quality and the zoom feature has some custom features to it (Which by now everyone knows is big deal to me)

There was a JVC there (forget the model #) but it played (standard?) MPEG-4 for $78.00.... There was a few things I didn't like about so I went w/ the Toshiba instead.... But I know I will end up with that Malata within the year.

Once again A BIG THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR YOUR HELP !!!!!!

Now I just need to start an Anti-Widescreen advocacy page

J/K
    Even a fool can be wise, all he has to do is keep his mouth shut

Search Comp PM
    Toshiba SD-3960
    Good choice!

Search PM
    ridgey-didge = legitimate, the real article, etc.
    If in doubt, Google it.

Search Comp PM
    proxyx99
    For those who say that you can fully test be4 you buy... well, if you buy a washer do you take your dirty loundry to the store to test it?
    its a freakin dvd player. appliances are way different from electronics.

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    the dipshit speaketh

15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    This is actually very simple despite the size of TV screen you have.

With WIDESCREEN you see the ENTIRE FILMED IMAGE as you do in a movie theatre.

With FULL SCREEN you are cutting off the sides of the image ... in short you are NOT seeing the ENTIRE image.
    I respect a lot your opinions but please be aware that some movies released in FULL SCREEN does include some extra footage space at the top and the bottom of the screen atht is not viewable in the WIDESCREEN version of the same movie, this is specially true in Digital Movies, actually if you go to Finding Nemo you will find it in some scenes.

In the other hand there are different Widescreen aspect ratios and regardless of which TV you choose, some Widescreen movies may still show bars at the top and bottom of the screen.

Also for old B&W movies some shooting formats are almost 1:1, I am a big fan of old b&w mexican movies and a lot are that way. (I am not so sure about old b&w American or European movies but I remember some from Harold Lloyd having the same problem.

This is just a comment, thanks.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by realmexican
    please be aware that some movies released in FULL SCREEN does include some extra footage space at the top and the bottom of the screen atht is not viewable in the WIDESCREEN version of the same movie, this is specially true in Digital Movies, actually if you go to Finding Nemo you will find it in some scenes.
    Don't confuse "widescreen" with "matted widescren" (read: fake widescreen)
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

17. weird.. I debate the aspect ratio to my buddy all the time and his tv is 60" or 65" lol

NOw he gets it.. But its a pain explaining. And that little itty bity part in full screen in my finding nemo isn't worth it. I see the same in widescreen.

ITs a mater of preference. I make sure all dvd's I buy have widescreen. I lothe fullscreen.

I can tell the difference.. Its rather easy.. especially when cable or network tv shows .."this has been altered to fit your tv." ie full screen.. hehhehehe

My cyberhome ch300 plays anything. Plus my cyberhome does zoom and doesn't show the icon on the screen , it does do the display on-screen for when I look at chapters. It tries to be translucient but .. hahahha

4x3 is ok for my recordings of tv shows though.. unless its Justice league - cartoons in widescreen oh yeah!

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by realmexican
    please be aware that some movies released in FULL SCREEN does include some extra footage space at the top and the bottom of the screen atht is not viewable in the WIDESCREEN version of the same movie, this is specially true in Digital Movies, actually if you go to Finding Nemo you will find it in some scenes.
    Don't confuse "widescreen" with "matted widescren" (read: fake widescreen)
    And please don't forget that the whole idea behind WIDESCREEN is to watch a movie in OAR aka Original Aspect Ratio be it 1.33:1 or 2.35:1 ... be it matted widescreen or Super35 which is matted or whatever. The idea is to replicate the original intent aka Theatrical Screening of the movie.

A movie shot in a 1.33:1 frame and then matted to 1.85:1 for theatrical play was normally composed or blocked out for 1.85:1 so a full frame unmatted 1.33:1 video presentation shows more but really isn't "proper" since the intended aspect ratio is 1.85:1

And then of course there is Super35mm which gets even more complicated hehehe

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE

19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Defcon
    If I had a 16:9 tv (which is out of the question for some time), I could probably deal with it. But with my luck the tv would cut off the sides on the 4:3 films
    actually, it would be the top and bottom, but no, what would happen is it would add black to the sides.

20. I tell you what !!! Leprechans MUST exist and Prince Charles is the AntiChrist !!!!

I am totally cursed

I obviously worte to soon, the Toshiba is "jerky" on both original and back up DVD's !!!! I think it is actually a conspiracy against me when it comes to DVD players by the manufacturers...... Maybe I shouldn't even own one !!!

Back to the store AGAIN !!!! I perhaps need to be taken out back....

ANyway I guess I'll try the JVC for an echange.....

P.S. Pardon any spelling errrors, kinda of tipsy from drinkun and pool... BTW I noticed this before I went out

21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    So much for those who say that in-store testing is the key. Life has its own ways of proving you wrong. Btw. Defcon keep it to yourself as this forum has proven to have limited interest or sympathy for your "issues".

22. Well proxxy I do have to disagree with you here..... Most people who even at first, came across brash, (though they may think what I am doing is stupid) still ended up helping me out alot ..... And I really appreciate that !!!!

Search Comp PM
    the Toshiba is "jerky" on both original and back up DVD's !!!!
    What do you mean by "jerky" playback?
    Are you using Composite for the video?

24. What would happen is on any DVD (original or backup) during playback (especially w/ fast or high end graphics) it would stop then continue for a split second. But this would happen constantly so it was a bad problem. Maybe jerky was a bad term but perhaps, freezes would be a better term ?

It most likely was a 1/100 defect, and played alot of stuff. At this point I'll probably just keep the JVC XV-N312S I exchanged it for and buy a cheap Chinese player that will anything and everything for some of the VCD's my JVC won't play. Could be format issue as this JVC indicates it plays everything in the book and MPEG-4 Standard Format..... It will give me something to toy with and try to burn sucessfully.

BTW. I am using thick guage Phillips A/V cables (red,white,yellow)

25. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by andkiich
    If you want to watch full screen, then buy the full screen DVD, and don't try to convert a widescreen version to a "fake" full screen.
    The problem is completely avoidable. This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
    To you makes no sense, but in fact it does make a lot of sense.

My dvd players are both Toshibas and they both have several levels of sub 2x zoom and no "sticky" zoom icon. I was very suprise at the first dvd players I saw that left on the icon and/or went right from 1x to 2x making zooming useless for films as it cut off the top of widescreen versions.

Indeed with a widescreen dvd film version on a toshiba one can have three levels (approx 1.25x, 1.5x and 1.9x) of zoom before the bottom and top bars go.

I defeinately prefer my widescreen versions zoomed about 1.25x on my smaller televisions.

This is not a dumb topic and some of the respoonses indicate people have not considered a very important feature.

When I get home I will post the models toshibas I have with this feature

26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by proxyx99
    . I know that it must have sth to do with DVD disk user permissions as more and more 16x9 movies (like "Lord of the Rings") are "locked" in 16x9, you can zoom it but the symbol stays (DVD disk makers must know about this "feature").
    Is this certain? My LOTR plays on my toshiba zoomed at 1.25, 1.5x or 1.9x with no zoom symbol sticking. Indeed I have never seen the zoom indicator stick or "locked" with any dvd I have played on several toshiba models.

27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    I do urge you however to look at the LINK I provided in an earlier post to the WIDESCREEN.ORG website. It might help you to understand the widescreen process and why it is so essential to proper movie viewing.
    [/url][/b]
    Some educated in the history of this might explain that he "widescreen process" is a marketing ploy that creates an unnatural and unoptimal viewing ratio. It was created to set movie screens, which had previosly been visually optimal 4:3, apart from the growing televion phenomena.

Yes, from tryptichs and panoramas to imax, wider than optimal images have been used to create an impact, but that does not make them best in most cases.

Now, I do totally support widescreen on dvd's and think it should be the norm. But people slamming the first poster are being silly since about 95% of all home screens are NOT widescreen. A 1.25 zoom capability is a very good compromise. All films shot today take into account that the film will be shown pan and scan or fullscreen.

Look at it this way...remember widescreen still cameras? this was supposed to be a big hit. It wasn't. It is not a natural composition.

Again, I am on your side with organizations like widescreen.org. Films shot widescreen should be released widescreen. If you are ticked off that target and blockbuster are requesting/prefering fullscreen dvds, fine, I am too. But don't mock or shout down a poster who wants to have his (legitimate) options as well.

28. Originally Posted by aero
    about 95% of all home screens are NOT widescreen
    Where do you get this statistic from ?

Taken from this report for the UK market
    http://www.marketresearch.com/map/prod/952553.html
    A quarter of all households have a widescreen TV

29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aero
    about 95% of all home screens are NOT widescreen
    Where do you get this statistic from ?

Taken from this report for the UK market

A quarter of all households have a widescreen TV
    In all respect, your statistic doesn't state that 25% of home screens are widescreen. It claims that, in the UK, one quarter of households have widescreen. Why don't you check out the proportion of widescreen sales and consider the number of existing sets. It is pretty easy to see that with a mean life of ten years, less than 5% of televisions will be widescreen.

Widescreen is better (I agree), it just will remain the minority of sets for quite some years to come. Hence the quesiton about zooming is very legitimate.

I mean if you want to be a purist, then you should get an underscan player anyway as even your widescreen dvds on your widescreen tv are cropped without underscan. http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~tstronds/nostalghia.com/TheTopics/Overscan.html

I choose to buy and rent only widescreen when available. I hope and expect this aggregates to the demand. But I also know 90% of what I watch on TV is not DVD's and is not widescreen and I expect (as I think the great majority of people) to have my 13" and 27" analog TV's even after I get a widescreen. Even the dvi LCD computer display I use is not widescreen). I will want a dvd player that allows me to zoom, especially an increment below 2x and also not give me a sticky icon.

For anyone who cares (and if you read nerd-out.com, many people do), my Panasonic SD- 1600 has three levels of zoom under 2x and the zoom icon dissapears after a few seconds.

Also I have read the panasonic S25 zooms in increments of .01, a very helpful feature.

Again the poster had a good question. The flaming and widescreen politics aside, perhasp it woudl be better to have a new thread that simply asks:
    Does your dvd player have zoom between 1x and 2x; and does the zoom icon dissappear?

Search PM
    The best way to end this argument is to buy two TVs and two DVD players - use your widescreen TV to watch widescreen movies, use your normal TV to watch fullscreen movies. No Zooming.

Problem solved.
    If in doubt, Google it.

Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!