VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 6
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hello

I live in the USA and just went to a Walmart yesterday (March 15, 2004) and they have 10 packs of MAXELL 4x DVD-R discs for $16.84

These are MADE IN JAPAN and are excellent DVD-R discs!

I just checked out Walmart.com and they have the price listed as $19.97 which is still a good price but it was only $16.84 at the store located near me!

This is what the package looks like:

Each disc comes in a full size CD style jewel case.

I do love my FUJI branded Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-R discs but those are $24.99 at BEST BUY so I might very well be switching to these Maxell DVD-R discs.

Remember ... MADE IN JAPAN is the key

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE

Search Comp PM
    exactly why are "Made in Japan" discs the best?
    are there any proven facts to support that?

3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Agree with richdvd, ritek is as good as anybody. I have never had any prolem with my Memorex "ritek" +R discs.

Search Comp PM
    i am not dis-agreeing that "Made In Japan" discs are the best...I think in order to state that, there should be facts or evidence to back it up. I am sick of hearing everyone jump on the "Made In Japan" bandwagon, thus considering media made everywhere else to be crap.

5. My WalMart is usually sold out of these, although I did manage to score 1 10pk of Maxell DVD+R at that price. Please note that the +R disks are RICOHJPNG01, but that's just as good.

tapeandmedia.com has Maxell DVD-R at $1.73 in 50 quantity in jewel cases and are GENUINE MAXELL. Also the PLUS series by Maxell are only $1.79 !!!!

6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Let's me rephase, i question too 'why are "Made in Japan" discs the best?' as I have no problem other than with the 2X princo +R disc.

Search Comp PM
    I'm not trying to be a jerk-off but look at my post count.

My point? I've been around the block here and I have read A LOT of threads.

People have less problems (rarely any at all) with DVD-R media that is MADE IN JAPAN.

As for Ritek ... they were once considered junk. Then something changed and they became nearly as good as the MADE IN JAPAN DVD-R discs. But now things are changing and people are complaining of getting bad batches all the time or having several bad discs per batch etc.

This applies to the bulk Ritek discs from on-line sources but I've even heard people say it about some of the TDK retail packs that are RITEK G04 DVD-R discs.

Apparently quality control is not so good there.

I have never heard one complaint about ANY of the MADE IN JAPAN discs and it is all I use myself.

Taiyo Yuden
    Maxell
    TDK

As for DVD+R I don't use that bastard child of a format but for those that do (god bless you) most seem to think that the RICOH DVD+R discs are the best ... and guess what ... they are MADE IN JAPAN.

So suffer and buy something else but when you have media issues ... be it right away or some time down the road ... don't come crying to mommy.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci

8. At Office Depot, you can get 100 Memorex 4x DVD+ or - for $60 if you use 2 coupons. I don't have them handy, but they are the subject of another post on this site. One coupon is a 2 for 1, the other is a $20 off coupon. The media works great. I now own 100.

9. I dunno, maybe I'm spoiled now but...I think the offce depot 2 15 pks 4x mexell for 26.97 a couple weeks ago was dirt cheap My maxell discs work great, but I'd rather wait for another sale again than pay $1.68 per disc rather than less than a dollar.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LRD
    At Office Depot, you can get 100 Memorex 4x DVD+ or - for $60 if you use 2 coupons. I don't have them handy, but they are the subject of another post on this site. One coupon is a 2 for 1, the other is a $20 off coupon. The media works great. I now own 100.
    This thread is mostly about DVD-R not DVD+R so thanks for hi-jacking it. Also if you mention another post it is a kind gesture to post a link to it for those that might be interested.

Search Comp PM
    As for DVD+R I don't use that bastard child of a format but for those that do (god bless you)
    That is a pretty harsh thing to say.. as we have no idea if and when a standard format will come in to place. Of course there are going to be more problems with the "Made In Taiwan" media because there are 1000x more of it out there than Japenese media.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by richdvd
    As for DVD+R I don't use that bastard child of a format but for those that do (god bless you)
    That is a pretty harsh thing to say.. as we have no idea if and when a standard format will come in to place. Of course there are going to be more problems with the "Made In Taiwan" media because there are 1000x more of it out there than Japenese media.
    My comments directed towards the DVD+R format have to do with the way Philips as a company decided to conduct business in regards to that format.

They simply broke away from the official DVD spec and decided to do their own thing.

It is their fault we have 2 formats instead of one.

Only the DVD-R format (including DVD-RW and DVD-RAM) are "official"

I'm sorry but I can't help thinking of that from time to time.

Search Comp PM
    Don't get me wrong..I also "think" that -R will take over.
    But no one really knows for sure

14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    LOL, I once considered fuji taiyo yuden disc one of the best until I found out my Apex 1600 could not play it, although my expensive denon 5000 had no problem with it (of course only the NTSC format, not the PAL type).

Memorex 'Ritek' MADE IN TAIWAN disc give me no problem, the point is stick with whatever works for you.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by xcool
    LOL, I once considered fuji taiyo yuden disc one of the best until I found out my Apex 1600 could not play it, although my expensive denon 5000 had no problem with it (of course only the NTSC format, not the PAL type).

Memorex 'Ritek' MADE IN TAIWAN disc give me no problem, the point is stick with whatever works for you.
    APEX is junk pure and simple.

I know as I used to have one as did some of my friends. In the early days if you wanted region free and PAL to NTSC conversion you didn't have much of a choice.

Thank god those days are over.

Any CD or DVD player that can't properly play back a properly burned Taiyo Yuden CD or DVD-R is a piece of junk. Taiyo Yuden basically created the CD-R format and are considered Kings in the world of optical media in general!

I mean really now ... didn't play on my crap ass Apex player :P

16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    not to start another format war, i think +R is winning the speed race.

Search Comp PM
    not to start another format war, i think +R is winning the speed race.
    My comments viz a viz DVD+R were, as I explained, about the business practises of Philips and not about the technical merits of the format.

I'm not playing this game :P

18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't consider Apex junk if it works for me. Actually I am thankful it saves me the agony of PAL=>NTSC conversion.

19. Fabulous.

exactly why are "Made in Japan" discs the best?
    are there any proven facts to support that?
    Everything has to be backed up with facts, doesn't it? The opinions of people who do extensive work in this field don't count for shit. I thought the whole purpose of a forum was to exchange ideas, information, and personal experiences based on actual work in the field.

Proven facts are subjective in the field of recordable media. Reputation is everything, and for those who burn a lot of discs, Japanese discs are a better choice when such a choice is practical. That is an opinion, and your results may vary.

Yes, there are some good Taiwanese forumale out there. But there is no formulae more consistent than Taiyo Yuden. How many posts do see regarding somebody who bought a dud spindle of TY discs? How many posts do you see regarding somebody who bought a dud spindle of 'Made in Taiwan' formulae?

Agree with richdvd, ritek is as good as anybody. I have never had any prolem with my Memorex "ritek" +R discs.
    Perhaps. But, unlike Ritek, I've never heard of a Taiyo Yuden disc being faked.

And wasn't this thread about DVD-R?

i am not dis-agreeing that "Made In Japan" discs are the best...I think in order to state that, there should be facts or evidence to back it up. I am sick of hearing everyone jump on the "Made In Japan" bandwagon, thus considering media made everywhere else to be crap.
    I'm not jumping on the bandwagon. I've been posting about the quality of Taiyo Yuden for a long time.

20. Hey Mummy Face

Get a life. The "Too Cool" reference to some jerkoff, washed up "b" movie director does not work for me. It doesn't work for you either.

I can read too, and I hate to inform that DVD- is the Bastard media. I bet you are still watching movies on your Sony Beta VCR--"MADE IN JAPAN!!"

Check out who backs + vs -, and you will see DVD+ has the upper hand.

Sorry for the lack of a link to the Office Depot sale. I could not find it. Tonight, after I get home from work, I will finish "Hijacking" your post by adding the coupon numbers.

Stay Tuned.

LRD

21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LRD
    Tonight, after I get home from work, I will finish "Hijacking" your post by adding the coupon numbers.

Stay Tuned.

LRD
    LOL . That was funny, although i shouldn't be laughing. But relax guys. Its nothing crucial. No one needs to get worked up here.

Cheers.

22. Here is the promised info re Office Depot. For those of you who want to waste $ on - media, you can get the same deal.

"Go to their website and add two 50 packs of Memorex DVD+R @ $79.97 each which will temporarily total $159.94 - Add this coupon, 91408733, which is $20.00 off of $75.00 or more. Then add this coupon 95749527, which is buy one get one free coupon as advertised in their flyer.

The grand total: $59.97 for 100 Discs!
    I paid $63.46 total because of local tax.

plus you have the option of shipping to your home or picking up at your local store.

Also I think the 20 off coupon gives you free shipping!

I have burned Memorex plenty and have had no problems."

Thanks to Member Rikk for the lead.

23. Originally Posted by LRD
    Hey Mummy Face
    Oh good, now we've resorted to name-calling. Would someone page macleod and have him report this thread, too?

Originally Posted by LRD
    I can read too, and I hate to inform that DVD- is the Bastard media. I bet you are still watching movies on your Sony Beta VCR--"MADE IN JAPAN!!"

Check out who backs + vs -, and you will see DVD+ has the upper hand.
    Hey! There ain't shit wrong with Beta. It's not my fault the average consumer chintzed and went for lower price over higher quality. Just like the average consumer who goes with Princo instead of TY, or DVD+R instead of DVD-R.

DVD-R is the bastard media. Good God.

24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    WOW! $65 for 100 of Memorex.
    Thanks LRD.

25. Originally Posted by LRD
    Here is the promised info re Office Depot. For those of you who want to waste $ on - media, you can get the same deal.

"Go to their website and add two 50 packs of Memorex DVD+R @ $79.97 each which will temporarily total $159.94 - Add this coupon, 91408733, which is $20.00 off of $75.00 or more. Then add this coupon 95749527, which is buy one get one free coupon as advertised in their flyer.

The grand total: $59.97 for 100 Discs!
    I paid $63.46 total because of local tax.

plus you have the option of shipping to your home or picking up at your local store.

Also I think the 20 off coupon gives you free shipping!

I have burned Memorex plenty and have had no problems."

Thanks to Member Rikk for the lead.
    OK, OK, OK.

Setting aside the fact that thread was about DVD-R discs, this is an excellent deal at Office Depot. And from my own previous postings, Memorex DVD+R are generally top-notch discs.

But you forgot to report something. The Media ID code. I'd like to know myself if these are RICOH discs or CMC discs.

26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa

DVD-R is the bastard media. Good God.
    Just my experience, Memorex -R gave me nothing but coaster, +R flawless.

This is a good way to jap up my post count.

27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just bought 25 Memorex DVD+RW discs at CompUSA for 19.95. In the cake you could see that the dye was spotty near the edge of most of the DVDs. Sure enough, a test copy of Cheers Season 1 disc 1 produced poor results reading near the edge, frozen screens, etc. I took the cake back to CompUSA and tried another batch. So far they seem to be okay. I cannot see the spotty die near the edge this time. Good price for +RW's for testing and re-writing if they work

28. Originally Posted by xcool
    This is a good way to jap up my post count.
    Hardly!

Go try the Word Association thread first. Guaranteed results!

29. Tell me where the ID code is, and I will be happy to post it tonight. If it tells you anything, the packs I purchased in the New Orleans area are tall, with a large white spacer at the top. I have a previous set in a shorter container with virtually no spacer.

LRD

Search PM
    MXL RG02 excellent! excellent! excellent! media. One of only two brands of media I could really say I can rely on for perfect burns. TY would be the other, don't use Riteks, too expensive, too many fakes if you buy online.
    To the sidebar in this thread I can only speak for what works for me and what I've observed. DVD+R don't work in any of my 3 standalones or my xbox. DVD-R works on all four.
    When I go to buy media there are always stacks of DVD+R, coupons for more DVD+R, and deep discounts on DVD+R, but I can rarely ever find DVD-R if mentioned in the same sale. Go into any sales outlet and talk to the sales people the will tell you the demand for DVD-R by far exceeds the demand for DVD+R.
    Just shut up and listen dumbass