VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Most "Made in Taiwan" media is cheap junk. People that want to disagree can do so all they want, but the fact remains the same.
    Another exception for that is TDK 2x -R. Good quality media IMHO.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HyperYagami
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Most "Made in Taiwan" media is cheap junk. People that want to disagree can do so all they want, but the fact remains the same.
    Yeah, missed that one. Good call.
    Just be sure it is "TDKG02" media ID.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by HyperYagami
    Yeah, missed that one. Good call.
    Just be sure it is "TDKG02" media ID.
    I thought only the TDK DVD-R discs labeled MADE IN JAPAN have the TDKG02 media code?

At least that was my understanding.

Only bought TDK DVD-R discs once. They did say MADE IN JAPAN but the media code was was something different ... it was actually very similiar to the MAXELL media code if I recall ... I'll have to see if I can find one in my collection ... so many discs so little time hehehe

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE

4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No coasters with DVD+R and now Taiyo Yuden is making them.
    Must be a reason........maybe they see the writing on the wall.

Search Comp PM
    @Fulci, I don't know.

The TDKG02 are good. All I know.

I too thought they said "Made in Japan".

But I THINK I've seen TDK packs mislabeled, probably printed in bulk at one place. I've not bought any in a while.

6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    HEY LARD!!!

Show FulciLives some more respect. He's helped me answer some questions in the past, and has much more knowledge about this stuff than you do. Read the hundreds of other posts about these same subjects, and save yourself some time and effort.
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato (427-347 B.C.)

Search Comp PM
    Those TDK 10 packs from staples all said Made in Taiwan.

I bought them by the case lot (50 per case) and was bummed when I opened them up and saw Taiwan. Thought I got G04s like the couple of loose 10 packs I picked up too. But they were all TDKs.

Could of sworn TDK was made in Japan? And it was.

I wonder if TDK switched plants? 'Cause I've seen some offerings that are sold as CMC OEM but have a TTG01 media ID. TTG01 is first gen 4x TDK media. Wouldn't suprise me at all.

edit------------
    I have some TDK jewel cases from 2001, they say Made In Japan on the back.

Here's the old one (notice the model number DVD-R47S

New TDK

There is no "Made In" on the new jewel cases themselves, only on the barcode on the wrap around the ten pack.

Search Comp PM
    do you all seriously think either media type is on its way out? Every store I go to has equal amounts of + and -. So use whatever you want and like the most, they'll both be here until dvd's get pushed to the curb by something else.

9. Hey Fulci

I ran the read test on the Memorex 4x DVDR+ media. On the Ricoh, I received 37,000+ errors--all on the tail end. On the CMC, I received 16,000+ errors--all on the tail end. This is substantially more than shown on the speed tests, but is consistent insofar as the Ricoh had more errors. I played both movies on the computer and set top, and had no problems. Images were crisp and clear with no stalls or hicups. I did experience some problems with the DVDinfopro program, which prompted several error reports to Microsoft. It may have been an issue of opening the program while Nero speed was closing. I was able to get the program to work several times.

Re "Ate Track's" comments, I am sorry if I hurt his feelings. He can go back and listen to his Thunder Island (or is that Fire Island?) and Donna Summers "albums" in peace. Frankly, I enjoy the levity on this site.

Fulci, thanks for the help, and keep up the good work. "Ate Track", thanks for providing a new source for material. I think I hear your mommy calling.

LRD

10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, thats your mommy LARD. She calls me all the time, always for the same thing though.

And yes, we listen to plenty of Donna Summers when we get down to business. Think thats how we had you, right?

All in good fun.... Ate Track Kid
    "Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws." - Plato (427-347 B.C.)

11. Alright Alright---Truce. I am laughing out loud. Are you sure we did not go to High School together?

LARD

12. I'd say you want the Japanese ones if you had a certain burner, if you had another burner (i.e. lite-on 401, Sony 530), you might do better with another brand of - media. This is according the C't magazine analysis of burners and certain brands of media and Maxell was one of them (I'm assuming the Japanese version by how its noted). The highest quality score attained was with Maxell at 4x with an LG at 88 (NEC 2500A was close behind with a 82). So if you had an NEC you'd prefer the Japanese ones due to them being authentic Maxell and based on the C't magazine review. Of course firmware updates could change the results. But it depends on what burner which media does the best burn for you. although the maxwell got very good scores pretty much across the board with most of the burners and seem to be up there with Taiyo Yuden.

http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13405&start=0

Also the media database shows Maxell - 4x as either being one of two:

TYG01.......
    MXL RG02

So who makes TYG01?

13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Who makes TYG01? Why, Taiyo Yuden of course

But it is news to me that Maxell media is also made by TY. Even better.

Also, on a side note and i dont mean to nit-pick, but please refer to names correctly. You have called it "Maxwell" throughout the post. Excellent post that it is, its "Maxell" and it wont do a newbie searching for Maxell + c't any good. Thanks

14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, probably so LRD. That's why I was always getting into so much trouble. 8)
    Ate Track

15. Hey Poly

You don't want to jump in on the "Ate Track" vs. "LARD" controversy? I prefer Maxwell over Memorwrecks myself.

LRD

16. Sorry, that was porphry

17. You're right I went back and changed Maxwell to Maxell and better yet I added Maxell to my IE spell checker.

18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maxwell is good, but give me Folgers anyday.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LRD
    Hey Fulci

I ran the read test on the Memorex 4x DVDR+ media. On the Ricoh, I received 37,000+ errors--all on the tail end. On the CMC, I received 16,000+ errors--all on the tail end. This is substantially more than shown on the speed tests, but is consistent insofar as the Ricoh had more errors. I played both movies on the computer and set top, and had no problems. Images were crisp and clear with no stalls or hicups. I did experience some problems with the DVDinfopro program, which prompted several error reports to Microsoft. It may have been an issue of opening the program while Nero speed was closing. I was able to get the program to work several times.

Re "Ate Track's" comments, I am sorry if I hurt his feelings. He can go back and listen to his Thunder Island (or is that Fire Island?) and Donna Summers "albums" in peace. Frankly, I enjoy the levity on this site.

Fulci, thanks for the help, and keep up the good work. "Ate Track", thanks for providing a new source for material. I think I hear your mommy calling.

LRD
    This is cause for concern.

You shouldn't have ANY read errors on a freshly burnt DVD disc.

I suggest you at least try a pack of Maxell DVD-R discs and then run the READ ERROR test on one after burning it.

My understanding ... and I think LordSmurf will agree here ... is that any amount of READ ERRORS ... especially on a freshly burnt DVD ... is NOT a good thing.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci

20. Here is the promised info re Office Depot. For those of you who want to waste $ on - media, you can get the same deal.

"Go to their website and add two 50 packs of Memorex DVD+R @ $79.97 each which will temporarily total $159.94 - Add this coupon, 91408733, which is $20.00 off of $75.00 or more. Then add this coupon 95749527, which is buy one get one free coupon as advertised in their flyer.

The grand total: $59.97 for 100 Discs!
    I paid $63.46 total because of local tax.
    no go...OD here in bay area (CA) are out of stock. rebates only good until the 24th and 27th, I think. oh, well.

21. Noki

Will the website let you backorder them? If so, you may still get the deal.

LRD

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LRD I think you should stock up on these MEMOREX media. This is excellent media. Get as many as you can because this deal is not going to last. Make sure you get a lot so you will always have some.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by troyvcd1
    LRD I think you should stock up on these MEMOREX media. This is excellent media. Get as many as you can because this deal is not going to last. Make sure you get a lot so you will always have some.
    No need to use reverse psychology to convince him ... he already thinks they are great discs ... eventhough he admits that they are CMC and have a ton of read errors

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink.

24. I just wanted to say Maxell DVD+R's I get have gave me no troubles at all I've tried about 6 different brands now all the rest gave me troubles, I will only be buying Maxell's from now on.

25. Spare me Fulci.

Where did I say I was happy with this media after discovering the read errors? With all the innane references to "b" movie directors and "drinking horses", I assumed you understood the written word. My bad. I did comment that the disks play fine despite the read errors found by the DVDinfopro program. I politely was soliciting an explanation for why read errors had not translated into poor DVD performance or picture quality. If you don't know, that's fine. Perhaps you should lead your horse to an Oracle.

FYI, with some more testing, I found the CMC disk began having read errors at 4.34 gb on a 4.38 gb recording. I found a Ricoh "Japan" disk had problems at 4.30 gb on a 4.36 recording. So much for the "everything made in Japan is great" theory. Seems quality control issues can be found almost anywhere, albeit perhaps less in some places. Hell, your Toyota Celica and Honda Prelude probably break down all the time.

Your help is appreciated; your horse is not.

LRD

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LRD
    I assumed you understood the written word. My bad.
    How those two sentences can exist in the same thought process is beyond me. Especially back-to-back as they were.

Anyway, quit bashing Fulci.

I think your issue lies with the burner, and not the media. If it makes good media upchuck, that's the issue.

Japan is where the BEST media comes from, by that's still a far cry from PERFECT, okay?

I've gotten maybe 4 coasters ever on MXL media. I've gotten maybe 4 good burns ever on CMC.

RICOHJPN is only 2ND CLASS media, but still much better than 4TH CLASS CMC or other cheap stuff you seem to be defending (note word: seem).

I've made out a "class list" at www.nomorecoasters.com. I don't think it can get any more detailed than what I've put down. Read every word on that page, it was updated again early today, though I'm still planning more updates in the near future.

27. Thanks Smurf

I was using "poetic license" with irony employing a sentence without a verb. In high school, it would net me an "F". Here, I only get ridicule. Thanks for noticing.

Re the CMC disks, I certainly am not riding their bandwagon. My only point is, if I hadn't tripped on this thread: I wouldn't have discovered DVDinfopro; and, I wouldn't have seen the read errors I never knew existed. Do you know why these read errors do not translate into problems on computer or set top playback?

Re Fulci, he is a big boy with an apparent sense of humor. If I truely have offended him, I apoligize. (Note how I avoid a split infinitive, even though a split infinitive would sound better?)

LRD

Search Comp PM
    I've made out a "class list" at www.nomorecoasters.com.
    This URL doesn't appear to be working

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by richdvd
    I've made out a "class list" at www.nomorecoasters.com
    This URL doesn't appear to be working
    Try this ...

www.nomorecoasters.com

That should work

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LRD
    Do you know why these read errors do not translate into problems on computer or set top playback?
    Yes, I do.

The pickup on the player is more lenient than the bit-for-bit read of a PC test. The DVD-ROM depends on your brand too. Cheaper ones don't care, and are bad for that reason.