VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. @LRD,

Download DVDInfo2 from the Tools section. The program will read the Media ID encoded into the disc. This is the all-important code that tell us who actually made the disc. Hopefully your discs will read RICOHJPNxxx but whatever result you get, post it.

This is more important than the name you actually see on the box/jewel case. Most manufacturers whore-out their media production. Memorex uses Ricoh and CMC; they don't actually make their own formulae.

2. Piglet

They are giving away DVD- media in my area when you buy 8 or more gallons or gas. I prefer the Country CDs--and I hate Country music.

LRD

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    @LRD,

Download DVDInfo2 from the Tools section. The program will read the Media ID encoded into the disc. This is the all-important code that tell us who actually made the disc. Hopefully your discs will read RICOHJPNxxx but whatever result you get, post it.

This is more important than the name you actually see on the box/jewel case. Most manufacturers whore-out their media production. Memorex uses Ricoh and CMC; they don't actually make their own formulae.
    Just to clearify the program is DVDInfoPro and if you don't register it then it will install anyways but in the form of a freeware version with pop up ads. You can get rid of the pop up ads if you buy it (aka register it) but they only pop up in a small window and only when the program is actually running. It is not a big deal. I use the program all the time. Not only can it read media codes but it has a very usefull test for READ ERRORS which everyone should run on every DVD that they burn.

Anyways ...

The MEDIA CODE is what really matters since many brand names use discs from a variety of sources.

This is yet another reason why looking for MADE IN JAPAN makes a difference. You know what you are getting BEFORE you ever buy and open the package.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE

4. Fulci

The package says "Made in Taiwan". Do I really need to scan the disk? Are Japanese disks packaged by Memorex and others as "Made in Taiwan"? Do the Japanese have Taiwanese manufacturing plants?

I just reinstalled XP given some garbage programs which found there way onto my hard drive. I am trying to keep the questionable programs off my machine to the extent possible.

LRD

5. That is "their way", not "there way".

Search Comp PM
    I think bean farts smell worse than cabbage farts. Anyone care to disagree?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LRD
    Fulci

The package says "Made in Taiwan". Do I really need to scan the disk? Are Japanese disks packaged by Memorex and others as "Made in Taiwan"? Do the Japanese have Taiwanese manufacturing plants?

I just reinstalled XP given some garbage programs which found there way onto my hard drive. I am trying to keep the questionable programs off my machine to the extent possible.

LRD
    DVDInfoPro is not a "questionable" program. It is a great tool that allows you to do many things ... as I said the most important is the READ ERROR test that you can run on an already burned DVD disc.

Why do a READ ERROR test? Well you should run that everytime you have burned a DVD disc to verify that it is 100% error free before deleting content from your HDD. Even a single READ ERROR is NOT acceptable ... chuck the disc and try again.

So yes DVDInfoPro is a good program. If you are bothered by the adware aspect of it then you can register it for a very low fee.

But something else just sprang to mind ... if you put a blank DVD in your DVD Burner and start up DVD Decrypter and put it in ISO MODE ---> WRITE it will give you the Manufacturer ID which is not the same as the complete MEDIA CODE but that is PART of the MEDIA CODE and the most important part.

So if you could at least do that and report back with the Manufacturer ID it would be appreciated.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci

Search Comp PM
    Using DVDInfoPro here is the MEDIA CODE information for the MAXELL 4x DVD-R discs I bought at Walmart. Remember the package says MADE IN JAPAN

*** Media Information ***

Region information: N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID: MXL RG02
    Format Capacity: Not Formatted
    Free Blocks: 412352512
    Free Capacity: 4.38GB(4.71GB)
    Book Type: DVD-R
    Media Type: DVD-R
    Media Id Code Speed: 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor: CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Available Write Descriptor: CLV 2.0x 2770KBps
    Write Strategy Speed: 4.0x 5540KBps
    2x Speed OPC beta: 0A
    2x Speed OPC power: 0E
    2x Write Strategy field 1: 15 87 78 90
    2x Write Strategy field 2: 88 80 00 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta: 05
    4x Speed OPC power: 16
    4x Write Strategy field 1: 0D 0F 0B 08
    4x Write Strategy field 2: 00 00 00 00
    4x Write Strategy field 3: 00 00 00 00
    4x Speed OPC beta multi-pulse: 00
    4x Speed OPC power multi-pulse: 00
    4x Write Strategy field 4: 00 00 00 00
    4x Write Strategy field 5: 00 00 00 00 00 00
    4x Write Strategy field 6: 00 00 00 00 00
    Data area starting sector: 30000h
    Linear Density: 0.267um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers: 1

The line that I made BOLD is the most important.

9. Thanks for the information. I will post my results this evening.

10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    Originally Posted by xcool
    This is a good way to jap up my post count.
    Hardly!

Go try the Word Association thread first. Guaranteed results!

I guess you didn't see it. Sorry to knock on the wrong door.

11. Good Evening!

@FulciLives,

The Wal-Mart in Show Low, Arizona was out of stock! And they were priced at $16.84, as advertised. They must have had thirty or forty 10-packs in stock at one point.

The did have the +R discs. They had thirty or forty of those 10-packs in stock.

Now before that turns into a flame war, I must tell y'all this is an exception to the rule out here. Normally I have problems finding the +R media and not the -R media. Which one of our members on this forum lives near Show Low? Speak up, wanker!

Did I really type DVDInfo2? I'll bet you anything I did that in another recent thread, too. Oops!

12. Kprobe and Plextools tests have proven that to many, including me. Like most products, media is created to a set standard (I think it's EMCA for DVD-R). They must fall to within a certain guidelines for error to be acceptable. Japanese Maxell's and Taiyo Yudens consistently test well below these errors.

I have 2 old dvd players that don't give a ratz azz what those standards are....they are picky and require better than average PI/PO errors. I can achieve these with Japanese Maxells and Taiyo Yudens. My other 2 newer dvd players seem to follow the norm.

I've tested really bad media, mediocre and good media. I think I'll put my trust in those Japanese Maxell's. I feel pretty confident that over time, even if degradation doubles my PI/PO errors, they will work for me. I can't say the same for most other media (including Ritek G04's).

Do some media research on cdfreaks forum....they play with Kprobe alot.

13. Originally Posted by indolikaa
    Good Evening!

@FulciLives,

The Wal-Mart in Show Low, Arizona was out of stock! And they were priced at $16.84, as advertised. They must have had thirty or forty 10-packs in stock at one point.

The did have the +R discs. They had thirty or forty of those 10-packs in stock.

Now before that turns into a flame war, I must tell y'all this is an exception to the rule out here. Normally I have problems finding the +R media and not the -R media. Which one of our members on this forum lives near Show Low? Speak up, wanker!

Did I really type DVDInfo2? I'll bet you anything I did that in another recent thread, too. Oops!
    Ok, I have no idea where show low is, but if you are near Phoenix or Tempe, you could go to Fry's and pick up 10 Maxell DVD-r's for $15. The ones at my Fry's were made in Japan.

Randy

14. Thanks, Randy! I assume that is out-the-door price, and I don't have to play the rebate game?

(Show Low is about 3 road hours northeast of the Valley.)

Search Comp PM
    I choose -R media whenever possible. In my experience it is more compatible with standalone players than +R media. (I'm talking about players older than a year or two, most new ones play both)

16. Originally Posted by indolikaa
    Thanks, Randy! I assume that is out-the-door price, and I don't have to play the rebate game?

(Show Low is about 3 road hours northeast of the Valley.)
    3 hours? Seems like a long way to go for DVD's

Yes, that's with NO rebate, as AFAIK it is not a sale price, there were no sale signs, so it looked like an everyday price.

BTW, they also had Fuji 10 packs, but they were $5 more.

Randy

17. Hey Fulci

Allright. I checked a disk with DVDinfopro after burning Pirates. It is a CMC MAG F01. Although the package is labeled 4x Memorex DVDR+, the Media ID Code speed is 2.4. I ran a speed test, and it showed a top speed of 16 with 600+ read errors. It did not show any read errors at the slower speeds. I stopped paying attention for the higher speeds. The movie seems to play just fine. So "do they stay or do they go?"

LRD

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LRD
    Hey Fulci

Allright. I checked a disk with DVDinfopro after burning Pirates. It is a CMC MAG F01. Although the package is labeled 4x Memorex DVDR+, the Media ID Code speed is 2.4. I ran a speed test, and it showed a top speed of 16 with 600+ read errors. It did not show any read errors at the slower speeds. I stopped paying attention for the higher speeds. The movie seems to play just fine. So "do they stay or do they go?"

LRD
    1.) They are CMC and not Ricoh ... once again CMC = very bad whereas Ricoh = very good

2.) Not only did you get bum CMC discs but they don't even "live up" to the packaging (i.e., 2.4x instead of 4x)

3.) You said you ran a speed test. Did you run the read error test? They are 2 seperate tests. You can only run the read error test AFTER you have burned the DVD ... if you get ANY errors in the read error test then yes ... that disc should be considered NO GOOD

I'd love to say I TOLD YOU SO but I'll try to be kind and leave it to indolikaa

Search Comp PM
    I'm kind of in disbelief at all the lemmings that jumped all over Fulci for posting a good find.

If you want my information, tested and proven over and over again, merely point your browser over to www.nomorecoasters.com

... the site is named that way for a reason...

"Made in Japan" and "Made in Singapore" is generally the best media for DVD-R. .... RITEK was the only exception, but it's losing the respect of many people from all of its mistakes and "bad batches" (read between the lines: it's more than a few batches)..... Most "Made in Taiwan" media is cheap junk. People that want to disagree can do so all they want, but the fact remains the same.

Fulci said it perfectly. DVD+R is a rogue format. The end. More info on that can also be found on my site on one of the DVD Media guides. Most people have no idea who, how or why both formats exist.

Fulci overstated about "Apex being junk" ... as I have a 1100W and DRX-9000 that'll prove him wrong .... BUT! he made a good point, in that cheapo players can choke for no reason, including pressed media and good DVD-R/+R media. That's the players fault, not the disc.

You have to run a program like DVDInfo to test the MEDIA INFO and then a program like NERO CD-DVD SPEED to test the quality of the disc. I don't know who said it was "questionable" but that's a bit exagerrated. DVDInfo has some problems correctly showing MXLRG01 has a 2x write strategy, but I've never seen another flaw on the program. Only K-Probe has problems properly verifying, CD-DVD speed has no such errors.

My "local" Fry's is 25 miles away. It has MXLRG02 in 25 packs for $40. My "local" Walmart is 5 miles away. I has MXLRG02 in 10 packs for $16.
    They are BOTH $1.60 per disc. What deal?
    I lose more money in gas and time doing to Fry's. I was there yesterday to pick up some parts, and saw media prices. I didn't get any. I can goto Walmart if I really need more. I'm stocked up now.

Taiyo Yudens test as good discs, but I put them below other on may top listing because they often came dirty, and I'd have to clean them. Fuji must have packed them in the desert.

Those that "require proof" are ignoring what we're showing them.

"The proof is in the pudding." <- does anybody know what this means?
    Sounds like "alcohol in the dessert" to me.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS

20. Hey Fulci

I did not do a separate read test. I will try to do so in a moment. However, I tested another DVD from an earlier pack of Memorex. Very interesting because it is Ricoh, it is rated 4x, and it had 1600+ read errors in the speed test.

Both disks play without problem in my set top player.

I appreciate your not telling me "I told you so". I frankly am confused by the results of my own testing. Ricoh did not outperform the slower CMC in my experience. Don't tell me--buy Japanese?

Thanks for the help.

LRD

21. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    I'd love to say I TOLD YOU SO but I'll try to be kind and leave it to indolikaa
    And normally I'd open up a 64-ounce can of STFU with great pleasure, having watched the direction this thread has gone.

I knew the answer to the Memorex question long before we reached this point in the thread. I suspect Fulci did, too. How did I know this? Been there, done that. I've got three of these lovely discs sitting on my desk right now.

You have discovered that you have in your possession media manufactured by CMC. You have a hit-and-miss product. It may work perfectly for you, it may not. I work with multiple DVD burners and I can only report that CMC has not been reliable media for me. The same can be said for Ritek, who seem to produce an excellent product if you can get your hands on product they actually make.

I have one steadfast rule when it comes to media: if the drive can burn a Taiyo Yuden disc, then it should be able to burn anything. If it can't, it's shit media. And since I have the luxury of price not being the driving force in my purchasing decisions, I generally stick with the sure bet.

Now I realize that many people do not have this luxury. That is why this forum exists: to educate the consumer. If it is suggested that I not post anything I cannot backup with referenced facts, then it's off to full-time Off-Topic posting for me. Now if I may include my opinion that is based on personal experience, that's a different story.

Search Comp PM
    Taiyo Yudens test as good discs, but I put them below other on may top listing because they often came dirty, and I'd have to clean them
    I had a 50 spindle of TYs and 7 of them produced CRC errors after the data was burnt on to them. I will never go near them again

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by richdvd
    Taiyo Yudens test as good discs, but I put them below other on may top listing because they often came dirty, and I'd have to clean them
    I had a 50 spindle of TYs and 7 of them produced CRC errors after the data was burnt on to them. I will never go near them again
    Only the FUJI DVD-R packs labeled MADE IN JAPAN are Taiyo-Yuden but some FUJI DVD-R packs are labeled MADE IN TAIWAN and can be anything.

Historically only the 5 packs (very hard to find) and the 10 packs (easy to find) of the FUJI DVD-R media have been MADE IN JAPAN aka Taiyo-Yuden.

I have never seen a 50 pack of FUJI DVD-R media that has been Taiyo-Yuden.

My guess is you had one of the MADE IN TAIWAN packs.

Search Comp PM
    So...all Fuji discs that are MADE IN JAPAN are essentially Taiyo-Yuden?

25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I picked up a 10 pack of the Maxell DVD+R's at my local Mississauga WalMart last night for $20.97. Did my first burn and they worked excellent. Tested on 3 standalone DVD players and my computer DVD player and they all read and played the disc perfectly. The DVD burner I used is a I/O Magic IDVDRW4 and the media info using DVD Decrypter is below...

Device Information:
    Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
    Erasable: No
    Free Sectors: 2,295,104
    Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes
    Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)
    Supported Write Speeds: 4x, 2.4x, 1x

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
    Disc ID: RICOHJPN-R01-02
    Book Type: DVD+R
    Part Version: 1
    Disc Size: 120mm
    Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
    Number of Layers: 1
    Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
    Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
    Track Density: 0.74 um/track
    Idioteque74

Search Comp PM
    i'm glad I have had no problems with CMC disks, I'll save a buck or two if I can, i'm frugal.

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by richdvd
    So...all Fuji discs that are MADE IN JAPAN are essentially Taiyo-Yuden?
    This is correct. Any FUJI package of CD-R or DVD-R discs that say MADE IN JAPAN are Taiyo-Yuden.

The CD-R discs have been like that since forever. The DVD-R discs I think have also always been like that.

You never know things could change but like I said it has always been that way with FUJI

They must have some special deal with Taiyo Yuden

P.S.
    As you can guess the Taiyo Yuden CD-R discs are also some of the best that you can buy. Afterall they pretty much developed the CD-R format.

28. I really don't mean to Hijack this post, but I have burned 30+ Memorex DVDR+ 4x, and I don't have a single coaster. I use a TDK Indi 4x + burner. I have used Nero 5.5, InterVideo DVD Copy, and TMPGE Arthur to burn. I am only burning movies, and cannot say how they would perform with data.

Search Comp PM
    TDK Indi 4x + burner
    Is that the 440N that does both + and -?

Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by LRD
    I really don't mean to Hijack this post, but I have burned 30+ Memorex DVDR+ 4x, and I don't have a single coaster. I use a TDK Indi 4x + burner. I have used Nero 5.5, InterVideo DVD Copy, and TMPGE Arthur to burn. I am only burning movies, and cannot say how they would perform with data.
    Still waiting for your READ ERROR test results.