VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    He is saying that it is difficult to rent a new release on Friday afternoon, so he will rent it earlier in the week and make a temporary copy of it so that he can watch it on the weekend. I find nothing confusing about what he is trying to do here.
    So as long as we pay that $5 to rent the movie, we can back it up for ourselves?...... For you information this is what they call "pirating" and it is very illegal...Don't you know anything about the laws regarding copyrighted material?? Do you think the RIAA and all those copyright police groups care if it is difficult for you to get a new release on a Friday afternoon?? You must be smoking some awesome gonch!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by richdvd
    He is saying that it is difficult to rent a new release on Friday afternoon, so he will rent it earlier in the week and make a temporary copy of it so that he can watch it on the weekend. I find nothing confusing about what he is trying to do here.
    So as long as we pay that $5 to rent the movie, we can back it up for ourselves?...... For you information this is what they call "pirating" and it is very illegal...Are you nuts?? Don't you know anything about the laws regarding copyrighted material??
    I'm not sorry Mr. High and Mighty. We are talking about Ethics not Laws. If we are talking about just Laws, then ANY type of DVD backup is illegal because it violates the DMCA. From a moral standpoint, I don't see what is wrong because everyone gets their money and you get to watch what you paid to watch. If he were keeping the disc to watch over and over again, then that would be unethical in my view because he hasn't paid to see it over and over. He is talking about making a temporary copy to watch and then he will erase it.

And YES, I know a lot about the laws so get off your high horse and read what we are talking about instead of just replying to the last post you may have read.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by jarvis1781
    I think many of you missed his point here. He is saying that it is difficult to rent a new release on Friday afternoon, so he will rent it earlier in the week and make a temporary copy of it so that he can watch it on the weekend. I find nothing confusing about what he is trying to do here.
    No confusion here, either. It's illegal.

And I'm not touching the ethics nonsense. Judge not.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sorry Mr. High and Mighty. We are talking about Ethics not Laws. If we are talking about just Laws, then ANY type of DVD backup is illegal because it violates the DMCA. From a moral standpoint, I don't see what is wrong because everyone gets their money and you get to watch what you paid to watch. If he were keeping the disc to watch over and over again, then that would be unethical in my view because he hasn't paid to see it over and over. He is talking about making a temporary copy to watch and then he will erase it.

And YES, I know a lot about the laws so get off your high horse and read what we are talking about instead of just replying to the last post you may have read.
    Ladies and Gentleman....would you read this nonsense? Wow...I can't believe what some people are thinking...kinda scary!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Self-righteous might be a better option to offer...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok...so let's make a copy and every time we want to watch the copy, we can go to the video store and pay them for a viewing of it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Ladies and Gentleman....would you read this nonsense? Wow...I can't believe what some people are thinking...kinda scary!
    Explain what part of my reply was nonsense. Do YOU understand what I wrote? If YOU don't then ask me so I can explain it in simple language that you might understand.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    He is talking about making a temporary copy to watch and then he will erase it.
    Erase it? HA HA HA I'm sure
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    His scenario was a HYPOTHETICAL question.
    Obviously you don't understand that word. Or you didn't read this thread. Obviously if he KEEPS the movie then that would be both unethical and illegal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Legal, no. Ethical, probably not. Would I prefer you burned it to RW and and returned it on time instead of holding on to it indefinitely while I make several unsuccessful trips to the video store to rent it, probably. Ultimately though, if enough people did it, Blockbuster would take a big hit when they realize they're not getting late fees anymore.

Other questions...

How long do you keep it on RW?
    How many times do you watch it before you erase it?

Why even bother with a more expensive RW vs a recordable if he's just going to keep it?
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No Confusion here,

this is what i read

Blah Blah Blah Blah, Blah Blah Blah Blah, Blah Blah Blah Blah.
    Blah Blah Blah Blah,
    Blah Blah Blah Blah,
    Blah Blah Blah Blah,
    Blah Blah Blah Blah,

Break CSS

Blah Blah Blah Blah,
    Blah Blah Blah Blah,
    Blah Blah Blah Blah,
    Blah Blah Blah Blah,

Breaking the CSS is breaking the law.
    Quote Quote  
  12. SiFaga,

I don't understand the third line in your post. Can you elaborate on the 'Blah Blah Blah Blah' reference?

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ViRaL1
    Legal, no. Ethical, probably not. Would I prefer you burned it to RW and and returned it on time instead of holding on to it indefinitely while I make several unsuccessful trips to the video store to rent it, probably. Ultimately though, if enough people did it, Blockbuster would take a big hit when they realize they're not getting late fees anymore.

Other questions...

How long do you keep it on RW?
    How many times do you watch it before you erase it?
    From the original post he watches it that night then erases it. I don't see anything wrong with that. And if their business relies that much on late fees then they should consider closing up shop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jarvis1781
    What does a take-out meal being eaten by a dog have to do with making a copy of a movie to watch later? Here, the difference is that the movie rental has been paid for and is being watched just once(so no one is being taken advantage of) The studios and the rental company get their fee and you get to watch your movie. Ethically I see nothing wrong with that.
    It's very simple. Just as the guy buying the meal doesn't have a "right" to eat the meal (or get a free one if he doesn't), the guy who didn't get to watch the video in the time alotted is not entitled to the backup. If he didn't have the time to watch it during the rental period, he shouldn't have rented it. If his job takes him away unexpectedely, well, he knew the job was dangerous when he took it.

This question is probably the ultimate in hypothetical (ie. unlikely). Who is going to make a "backup", then destroy it after watching it? You could throw in all kinds of crap to this situation. What if he wanted to watch the movie with someone else, but couldn't wait, then watched it with them a few days later? What if a friend didn't have the time/money to get the video? Is it okay to let them brrow your "rental"?

Basically, if the person has the time to backup the movie, they should instead be watching it in that time.

You must be smoking some awesome gonch!
    Ah, brings back memories of passing the blunt. All those colorful phrases.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This question is probably the ultimate in hypothetical (ie. unlikely). Who is going to make a "backup", then destroy it after watching it? You could throw in all kinds of crap to this situation. What if he wanted to watch the movie with someone else, but couldn't wait, then watched it with them a few days later? What if a friend didn't have the time/money to get the video? Is it okay to let them brrow your "rental"?
    I totally agree
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From the original post he watches it that night then erases it. I don't see anything wrong with that. And if their business relies that much on late fees then they should consider closing up shop.
    There's a lot of info on the web, but for a while they WERE making a large chunk of their business on late fees; charging a fee equivalent to the rental period for EACH day the rental was late (i.e. 5-day rental @ 4.99 returned 2 days late = 9.98 in late fees).
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ViRaL1
    There's a lot of info on the web, but for a while they WERE making a large chunk of their business on late fees; charging a fee equivalent to the rental period for EACH day the rental was late (i.e. 5-day rental @ 4.99 returned 2 days late = 9.98 in late fees).
    so who's taking advantage of who with that type of business?
    the only reason I ask is because I would never give a single penny over to a rental shop. I prefer to buy my DVDs. By the time you pay to rent a movie twice you have practically paid for it anyway (not counting those horrendous late fees, then you have paid for the movie several times)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I was in EnZed for christmas and went to rent some movies one eveing, i got three which were about $7 each for overnight. $21

took them back the next evening (6pm) (didnt watch all 3) , they charged me another $21 cause they were meant to be back by 1pm

not happy at all
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    took them back the next evening (6pm) (didnt watch all 3)
    Why didn't you copy them and watch them when you had time?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I admit, I'm not always expedient when it comes to watching rentals, which is why I have netflix. Three movies out at a time and no late fees. I've had one movie for months because I just can't sit still long enough to finish it when I know I have other things I want to do. The bright side is no matter how many or how few rentals I get each month it's never more than $20 (and tax).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    , iI just wish i had my PC with me,

I was in EnZed for a holiday.

I didnt even argue the point with the guy and I didnt want to leave a late fee on my sisters account.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    took them back the next evening (6pm) (didnt watch all 3)
    Why didn't you copy them and watch them when you had time?
    You sure are fickle. Now I know we must be dealing with a teenager...
    Quote Quote  
  24. Blah blah... CSS Get over it. I'll be the 1st to admit it. I rent, watch the movie that night, if I like it I burn it. If not I return the next day. That's what people do with DVD burners and Converting DVD to VCD and so on. Download the cover from wherever, buy the DVD cases, 100 for $7.00. You get the movie on DVD-R in a nice case for under $5 bucks. Not $19.99-$29.99 so some rich movie exec can make millions of us poor saps. :P

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. Copying rented DVD's is illegal.
    / Moderator bugster
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by 808smokey
    Blah blah... CSS Get over it. I'll be the 1st to admit it. I rent, watch the movie that night, if I like it I burn it. If not I return the next day. That's what people do with DVD burners and Converting DVD to VCD and so on. Download the cover from wherever, buy the DVD cases, 100 for $7.00. You get the movie on DVD-R in a nice case for under $5 bucks. Not $19.99-$29.99 so some rich movie exec can make millions of us poor saps. :P
    Well said. I know it's illegal but to hear people on this forum say they don't do it is bull. Now copying and selling is another topic. If it's not supported here then why would you make a SVCD of A DVD Home Movie? Of course they are backing up copies of RENTAL or OWNED DVD's.
    If this site dose not support it I want to see all the How To's removed as well as all the programs for ripping burning etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great stuff, guys. This is better than I had hoped for when I started this thread. A lot of great comments, a lot of really stupid comments. Just what I was looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Below is a post just made. And people responded with help. Now why would someone be copying a DVD usning DVD Shrink? Is this person doing a Copy of a original DVD? Why Shrink it? Or are they up to something? Just trying to make a point on what gose on here.

(Quote)
    "I am having problems where DVD Shrink causes my PC to reboot.
    It especially does it when I backup the complete movie.
    I have been able to re-authormany of my daughters cartoons, backing up the movie only, but last night I tried to do this with The Green Mile, but it caused my PC to reboot, several times.
    Any thoughts on what would cause this to happen? "

Here are my steps:
    1. DVD Decrypter to create an ISO.
    2. Daemon Tools to Mount the ISO.
    3. DVD Shrink to re-author.

Thanks,
    Adrian.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by wings
    Below is a post just made. And people responded with help. Now why would someone be copying a DVD usning DVD Shrink? Is this person doing a Copy of a original DVD? Why Shrink it? Or are they up to something? Just trying to make a point on what gose on here.
    It looks pretty clear to me that he is trying to back up his own DVD's.

Copying DVD's your own for backup purposes is (probably) legal, (In the U.S. it would come under 'fair use' I believe) though breaking CSS to do so is not. Overall this is a grey area of the law not yet tested in the courts. Until it is so tested it is accepted that we may discuss methods for doing this.

Copying rented DVD's is NOT legal and so discussion of this activity is NOT allowed here.

I will quote you again:

Originally Posted by wings
    Now why would someone be copying a DVD usning DVD Shrink?

Purchased or rented, DVDshrink is a valuable tool for backing up DVD's.

Purchased or rented (or borrowed or stolen). You can infer what you want, but unless the post is overtly breaking the AUP, we give the benfit of the doubt.
    Innocent until proven guilty.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I am really sick of the n00bs who come in here and proclaim "THE TRUTH", that everyone here is a pirate or warez-kiddie (like themselves).

The real truth is that some people do make SVCDs from their home movie DVDs. I have made several copies of VHS transfers to give to relatives because it is more cost effective than DVDs, yet retains the original quality.

Let's take an example from another sector of the communty: Say I buy alcohol (wine, rum, vodka, etc.). Am I an alcoholic? Probably to an alcoholic I am, because he can see no other reason to buy booze than to get blind, stinkin' drunk. The truth is that I have company over frequently, and we're all casual drinkers. The fact that we use alcohol legally (not getting dunk, then driving) completely escapes the alcoholic.

Basically, to all of you kids who post simply to start crap, get lost. Just because you pirate from your local Blockbuster does not mean that everyone here does it. You will get no validation for your illegal activities.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Basically, to all of you kids who post simply to start crap, get lost. Just because you pirate from your local Blockbuster does not mean that everyone here does it. You will get no validation for your illegal activities.
    Well said!!!
    Quote Quote