VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am using an ATI WONDER VE ( I know it's cheap but I am trying to make the best of it ), I am capturing audio using "Line in," and the program I am using to capture audio and video is VirtualDub.
    The video quality looks just as good as I would like it to look. But the audio has been a different story. Whenever I record from a cable source, the audio always has a hissing type noise in it. The audio meter is always set at 3/4 the meter and I always normalize the audio afterwards to 95% in CoolEdit. So, I then converted the audio in my captured video to wave using VirtualDub and then I opened the wave file in CoolEdit. Inside CoolEdit, I removed the hissing noise from the audio and I multiplexed the audio and video in TMPGenc to convert it to an XVCD with a audio bit rate of 224. But now the audio sounds somewhat squeaky and "lifeless" during dialogue and not near as good as regular t.v. audio sounds. It pretty much sounds like it is being played through speakers inside a large room ( without any echo though ). Not completely squeaky either, but I do notice a "schler" sound after each word ( almost like the actors had speech problems ).
    And one last thing, I only notice these problems when playing my VCD in a dvd player connected to a Sony Surround Sound system. And I know there is nothing wrong with the sound system because dvds, cds, and t.v. sounds perfectly.
    If you can help me with this problem I would do my best to help you with any problems you are having. I really need help and I've been looking for solutions for a very long time. THANKS!
    Quote Quote  
  2. When you remove the noise in cooledit, first of all make sure you select a section that is just hiss, then got to noise reduction and get profile from selection. Don't remove the noise yet, exit out, select the entire wav, go back to the noise reduction, under the graph type thingy is a slider, reduce that (i use 50 - 70%), then apply, afterwards normalize the wav and save. If you still aren't happy do it again (from the original wav) and reduce the slider. You can also try playing around with the FFT size (don't go above 12000).
    Quote Quote  
  3. I just wanted to clear something up....what is normalizing? And btw, i originally recorded with the line-in slider all the way up so how do I normalize this type of wave?
    Quote Quote  
  4. what audio meter is set at 3/4 then? did you calibrate audio input to avoid clipping?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Wouldn't it be an idea to use the optical inputs on the soundcard (If there are any)? that way there shouldn't be any added hiss.

Quote Quote