VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm planning to buy a DVD Player that support DVI connection (upconverts to 720p and 1080i)
    I've read a few reviews of the players that support such feature, but I still can't find the answer to my question.
    Is it true that upscaling to 720P/1080i will only work on retail DVD and not copied/burned DVD?
    I don't know if that is the case, some of the post i've read seem to suggest so. Could someone please provide a detailed explanation as to why and are there any method to get around it?
    Right now I'm planning to go with LG DV7832
    http://www.2001audiovideo.com/dvds_01/DV7832.html
    Just wanted to know all the facts before purchasing the unit
    Any feedback will be appreciated, tia
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i cant tell you about that unit -- but i can about the samsung 931 which does the same thing -- i have a couple of these units...

it all depends how they implement the digital protection .. the bravo bypasses it and the samsung doesnt ...
    in other words -- it will not work unless your video projector or plasma or hdtv rear view or hdtv crt has HDCP (high-bandwidth digital content protect)

you should check hardware compatability -- because if the display screen doesnt have it -- you get no upsampling .. and i think the LG works the same way ....

as for your own material -- i have been able to play it with no problems...

there are rumours of a way to bypass HDCP -- which is a real pain for us to test different equipment .. ALL high end video projectors don't have it ...

i have a workaround -- but its not cheap ... but allows me to use all HDTV display equipment ....

see some more info here http://www.projectorpeople.com/tutorials/HDCP_DVI.asp
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote