VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. google lxdvdrip

Its a toolchain that allows you to do one step DVD-9 to DVD-5 backups completely linux native! It doesnt support Menu backups, but produces great movie-only DVD-5 backups in one step! Its a new program, used with several common other programs such as dvdauthor, and streamdvd.

Try it out! I have been looking for such a solution for months, and this is perfect!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    is it command line or GUI?
    Quote Quote  
  3. its commandline, but real easy to use. basically you set your options in a config file, that can be overridden with commandline options. so its just "lxdvdrip" at the command line to use a default list of configs in a config file, rips and burns in one step if you have both a DVD ROM and a DVD writer installed.

Its linux, isnt everything command line?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i wasn't sure which version of Linux you were referring to.
    i am running Red Hat 9.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi,
    Just wanted to confirm that lxdvdrip works a treat! Yep one command does it all - rip shrink preview and burn (uses underlying tools like transcode, dvdauthor and growisofs)
    Incidently doing a straight dvd5 - dvd5 is easy with dvdbackup.

original brownster
    Quote Quote  
  6. For me it works very well at backing up DVDs that will already fit on a DVD-R.

But the story is different for DVD-9 to DVD-R. I had trouble with streamdvd so I set it up to use transcode... which is very very slow.

For DVDs that have to be shrunk, the three step process of dvdbackup, running DVDShrink with wine, and burning with k3b is still my method of choice.

Hopefully all of this will be packaged for Debian in the near future and then maybe streamdvd will work more easily... but I don't know if streamdvd will be that much faster.

Also, you have to be careful with foreign movies. If you mess up the audio track or subtitle selection, you will have wasted a lot of time.

Is there a way to have it just keep everything, leaving all the menus, audiotracks and subtitles intact? With DVDShrink, I just take out the French and/or Spanish tracks (when it isn't a French or Spanish language movie)... but doing that doesn't save much space. And skipping that step would be worth it for the convenience of a simple dvd backup method.

I might have to buy a second dvd player drive if I get this thing working correctly... then it would just be a matter of source, destination, and clicking a button. Nice!
    Quote Quote  
  7. There is no way to take the menus and extras, but you can take all the subtitles and languages with you.

This program is new, and its not perfect, but it is fantastic that ripping and burning in linux for DVDs is getting easier and easier all the time, the program is in full development, and at this rate we will probably see the ability to take menus and extras in the future (requant the entire DVD), but for those that want the absolute best quality main movie, its fantastic. I dont have any problems running streamDVD on my system, Mandrake 9.1. It does a DVD very quickly for me. (1 hour tops, then burning time on that, 1.8 ghz with 1 gig of RAM. 16x DVD reader)

A feature I want to see soon, is if the main movie is ready DVD-5 size, that it wont requant it again, using a factor of 1.0000 (no change) its not necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Heres the way I backup DVD9 to DVD5 Keeping menus and such.

1. vobcopy /mnt/cdrom1 -l -n 1 -O . -t "Undercover Brother"
    2. "mkisofs -dvd-video -udf directory > filename.iso

With some DVD's you can use k3b to creat an encripted iso.

Then with crossoveroffice I run DVDshrink. I dont know if wine or winex will run it
    I have DVDshrink to read the created/ripped iso and to create a iso which I use
    k3b to burn it back to DVD

Hope this helps
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have been unsuccessful in using DVDShrink via wine. I can get the program started. I can even select the cd, one of them, I have two and can't figure out how to make it use both but first things first. I keep getting copyright errors. When I boot into Windows it works fine though. What other steps do I need to do?

Originally Posted by spiritraveller
    For DVDs that have to be shrunk, the three step process of dvdbackup, running DVDShrink with wine, and burning with k3b is still my method of choice.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I have been unsuccessful in using DVDShrink via wine. I can get the program started. I can even select the cd, one of them, I have two and can't figure out how to make it use both but first things first. I keep getting copyright errors. When I boot into Windows it works fine though. What other steps do I need to do?
    How do you get dvd shrink to work in wine? I have it running but also cannot copy a dvd.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    insert the cd
    mount /mnt/cdrom
    vobcopy /mnt/cdrom1 -l -n 1 -O . -t "Undercover Brother"
    mkisofs -dvd-video -udf directory > filename.iso

wine /mnt/Win2k/Program\ Files/DVD\ Shrink/DVD\ Shrink\ 3.2.exe
    #/mnt/Win2k is my mounted w2k partition. it is ntfs so i had to enable that in my kernel

In DVDShrink
    File, Open Disk Image
    Select from the dropdown the root dir and then find the dir that you have the 'filename.iso' from above and tell it to create the dir on one of the partitions mounted as rw, not the w2k partion (I don't know, that might work but to be on the safe side don't)

You should then have a dir that u can 'growisofs -z /dev/scd0 -V dvd -dvd-video dir/' and your all done.

Hope that helped.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Anyone manage to get DVD Shrink to work with an option other than ISO on HD? I understand that the direct DVD copy won't work under Wine as it tries a direct ASPI call, but I can't browse the file system to find the ripped vobs either.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Anyone manage to get DVD Shrink to work with an option other than ISO on HD? I understand that the direct DVD copy won't work under Wine as it tries a direct ASPI call, but I can't browse the file system to find the ripped vobs either
    Do you think someone could port it to linux? It couldn't be that hard since its open source, the source should be available.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by Garibaldi
    Anyone manage to get DVD Shrink to work with an option other than ISO on HD? I understand that the direct DVD copy won't work under Wine as it tries a direct ASPI call, but I can't browse the file system to find the ripped vobs either
    Do you think someone could port it to linux? It couldn't be that hard since its open source, the source should be available.
    Open source ??

Hmmm has anyone tried compiling it with gcc
    Ok we would need someone who knows how to tweak the source a little.
    AMD 64 X2 6000+ @3,000 Mhz (stock) | MSI K9N Ultra | Corsair Value/Kingston 6,144MB DDR 667 | 8800GT stock | 3710GB of storage | Powered by Mandriva 2009.1

Jabber: DaveQB@jabber.org.au
    2.6.29.3-desktop-1mnb
    Quote Quote  
  15. Just probing around the DVDShrink forums and the developers say the source code will never be released.

In the forums guys are asking for a Linux port to be compiled, no response though (maybe they are incapable to do it )
    AMD 64 X2 6000+ @3,000 Mhz (stock) | MSI K9N Ultra | Corsair Value/Kingston 6,144MB DDR 667 | 8800GT stock | 3710GB of storage | Powered by Mandriva 2009.1

Jabber: DaveQB@jabber.org.au
    2.6.29.3-desktop-1mnb
    Quote Quote