VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I hate to ask this as there probably isn't a definitive answer, but I am going to be providing a DVD-R as a master for replication or duplication. (Yes, DLT is better, but the DVD-R is acceptable because it's DVD5 and without any copy protection) Several plants have told me that they will accept the DVD-R as a master...Now my question is,, what would be the absolute best DVD-R to use for this purpose, and price doesn't matter..Does anyone make a super high quality DVD-R used for this purpose that are sold in small quantities? I'd appreciate your opinions and tell me where to buy them as well as item #s as I know everything is diff with qc and all that
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Alot of people on this site use (as well as myself) Ritek G04. the best dvd-r i have used.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A Pioneer Single would probably be your best bet.

I imagine they are designed for exactly this sort of thing (they certainly aren't price to be used in any sizable quantity!)

I mean, you can probably "bargain hunt" for a good quality, inexpensive media. But considering that you only need a small #, and it's for mastering, it'd probably be best (and not much more expensive) to go with the good stuff.

Considering who Pioneer are, I believe their Media is pretty much up there.

Hope that helps,

Aggies
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I would also try a Single pack Fujifilm 4x DVD-R. If the packaging says "Made in Japan" then these are most likely Taiyo Yudens. Excellent discs and not too expensive.

As aggies11 mentioned, the single pack Pioneers are also a good option, but may be more expensive.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Great thanks for the input! If I go with the pioneers, do I need to look for any "made in" on the package like you said with the fujifilm? Or are all pioneers manufactured by the same company? What color are the pioneers?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just did some checking, haven't seen very much feedback on the Pioneer discs...I've heard a few times about the fujifilm discs that are made in japan, maybe i'l go with those,,, then again, there is a ton of feedback all over on the Ritek..I also heard that you can get screwed with Riteks unless you buy the right ones,,, what should I look for to ensure I'm getting good Riteks?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I second going with the FUJI 4x DVD-R packs that say MADE IN JAPAN

These are the Taiyo Yuden brand discs (just rebadged as FUJI)

It is the best disc you can buy.

BEST BUY carries these in a 10-pack for $24.99

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Would not any disc that is recorded without read errors (dvdinfopro) be acceptable?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well the point is the original post maker wants to use the best DVD-R that there is.

In my opinion (and I'm not alone here) that would be the Taiyo Yuden brand.

In short though just about any DVD-R that says MADE IN JAPAN should be just as good.

Some TDK and some MAXELL DVD-R discs also say MADE IN JAPAN and are of excellent quality.

In fact I just found out recently that WAL-MART has a 10-pack of MAXELL DVD-R discs that are 4x and say MADE IN JAPAN but are only $19.99 making them $5.00 cheaper than the Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-R FUJI 10-packs I normally buy at BESY BUY so even I might be making the change to MAXELL from now on. I had used them in the past and was very happy but for a while there they were only 2x and not any cheaper than the FUJI packs so that is why I had started to use the Taiyo Yuden FUJI 10-packs.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yup, the Fuji "made in Japan" 4x are TY's.

The Maxell 4x DVD-R "Made in Japan" are MXL RG02, which imho are equally good compared with the Taiyo Yudens.

Last week there was a sale in Futureshop (Canada) where 4x Maxell DVD-R (5 packs) were $7.99. Needless to say, a lot of canadian members and yours truly included, cleaned out all the futureshop stores.

In fact it went so fact that they website sold out all the pieces before the 1st day was over (it was a 7 day sale), and they canceled all orders. I am glad i managed to clean out my store before all were sold out.

But just goes to show you, people are just as anxious to get good media as they are aware of prices. When you mix the two together its quite an explosion. Ritek's never generate a lot of buzz since they are somewhat lower priced, and again imho, are much inferior to all japanese made media (MXL, TY, PVC, TDK).
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Probably the absolute best media in the world is Taiyo Yuden DVD-R. Don't bargain shop for cheaper brands. It also doesn't matter whether or not you have encryption (CSS) on the disc, because this is put on by the "stamper".

Make sure that your replicator is not asking for DVD-R Authoring media.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mmm ok, now I think i'm gettin somewhere! Follow up question, you've been saying that the Fuji made in japan discs are 4x - do they make a 1x?as I've heard many times that the slower you burn, the better... How would you rate the Riteks compared to the Fuji?

I just got that DVDINFOPro program. I ran the read test and the compare with ISO test on my Memorex 4x -R which I just found out are manufactured by CMC (which I read wasn't the greatest) but it turned up no read errors and says it's identical to the .iso I wrote with my authoring program.

How accurate is this DVDInfo program? Is it a trustworthy benchmark to say that informationwise my DVD-R is pristine and suitable for use as a master? I was happy to see that my DVDs had no read errors, but how does that rank with actual verification software/equipment that the plants use?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    where'd everyone go?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by sdsumike619
    where'd everyone go?
    I think we gave up. We all told you buy Taiyo Yuden and blah blah blah

Now you come back with how does that compare with Ritek and Memorex ?!?!?!

Just go buy some Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs already. Your question has been answered!

Quote Quote  
  15. Taiyo Yuden DVD-R.

There is no other disc you should consider for the purpose of forwarding a DVD-R as a master for replication.

Let me repeat myself.

Taiyo Yuden DVD-R.

There is no other disc you should consider for the purpose of forwarding a DVD-R as a master for replication.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Your tested memorex will make as good as dubs as any TY, on the other hand if you want to burn money as well, get the TY.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well I was hoping to get an answer to what I asked about DVDInfo,, read my post again , the second part of it that is
    Quote Quote  
  18. My good friends at Rima have 100 Taiyo Yuden printables for $1.70 a piece http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1675-1...tegory_Code=DM

Top notch quality discs, if you don't need printables it's $155 for the silver shiny tops. Seeing as you're in California, it's a no-brainer for quantity.

-Freestyler
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by sdsumike619
    I've heard many times that the slower you burn, the better... How would you rate the Riteks compared to the Fuji?
    Bogus information. Burn the disc at it's rated speed and forget about the naysayers. Quite honestly, like Tom81 said, "Would not any disc that is recorded without read errors (dvdinfopro) be acceptable?" This is true.

A common practice for myself is to burn the disc, rip the disc in DVD Decrypter as a disc image, mount it in Daemon Tools, and test it thoroughly thereafter. If the disc gives you read errors in DD, its obviously a bad burn. If the disc works, it works - the replicator WILL report back to you with any errors he's encountered.

Cheap media will work, but is it advisable to use? - probably not. Your best bet is to stick with what you've deemed quality media after doing research. Test the living shit of your build before you are satisfied with your title and then send it out and cross your fingers.

Personally, I would worry more about authoring issues as opposed to media concerns if I was REPLICATING, then again I'd be using authoring media or DLT

But if you're going to DUPLICATE, take some of the media suggestions to heart.

My 2 Cents
    -Free
    Quote Quote