VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. PLEXTOR DUAL-FORMAT DVD±R/RW BURNER NOW SUPPORTS HIGH SPEED 12X DVD RECORDING

FREMONT, Calif. – March 10, 2004 – Plextor® Corp., a leading developer and manufacturer of high-performance digital media equipment, today announced the new PX-712A DVD±R/RW drive with support for high-speed 12X DVD+R and 8X DVD-R recording. The internal drive features an ATA/ATAPI-5 (EIDE) interface for broad based PC-compatibility.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Did u buy one Johhny? By the way, I got the epson200 also. U get one of those yet? LOL
    Quote Quote  
  3. I noticed that the drive will handle 12X +R but not 12X -R. This just goes to show that +R is the superior format and -R sucks, which I've always argued to a deaf audience.

DISCLAIMER: That was a ******* joke, people! Don't start a flame war because you don't have a sense of humor!

Well if it's Plextor it's going to be an expensive drive. I wonder how long until we see 12X certified +R media?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LOL, I was gonna say the same thing about the war coming. Gotta love it when the people rise up to defend their media.
    Looks like a lil over 200, but with dual layer around the corner.... I would'nt be so quick to get this puppy. Does look inviting to burn at 12x though, I could burn in say oh 4-5min instead of say 8-9 min. LOL. A few discs a week or 2 and I can save enuf time to crap a lil longer on the commode.
    Quote Quote  
  5. No argument there, Commode-ore Jaxx!

I agree. I'm not doing any DVD purchasing until we get some initial reports from the early adopters here on dual-layer recording. I would be interested in seeing if Taiyo Yuden's new 8X DVD+R media can be burned at 12X successfully.

Then again, I still burn at 1X and 2.4X. What the hell do I care anyway?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Call me crazy but 4X is still lightning fast for me. Ive already bought 2 DVD burners, a Pioneer DVR-104 and this NEC ND-1300A. I refuse to buy another till they hit max speeds and its $100 for the drive. Its just turning into a pissing contest at this point and its ridiculous. 8X is how old? I'm not even seeing REAL LEGIT 8X media around yet, DVD-R, or DVD+R and now 12X +R is being introduced soon?
    Quote Quote  
  7. -R... +R... it doesnt matter to me, +R is gonna have dual layer burners out first.. if the prices of the drives and the media are insane, i'll buy one.. dual layer discs are supposedly more compatible than both -R & +R since they use the DVD-ROM bootype..

i like -R discs, i use them all the time. but i am by no means loyal to them.. i just prefer them, because a few of my friends dvd players will only accept -R and i find more sales for them than i do +R..
    Quote Quote  
  8. No complaints here, either. I buy Taiyo DVD-R discs like there's no tomorrow. I'm not format-dependent, I just prefer TY and they were only making DVD-R until last week.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What I am really waiting for is HP's LightScribe drives "enables drives to burn a silk screen-like, high-contrast label on the upper side of CD or DVD media bearing a special coating."

Looks like it could be fun
    Quote Quote  
  10. You wont need to buy a light scribe drive to get the benefit .. just get a stencil.. cut out all the letters designs you want and then "flash" the top of the disc in an xray machine or any large hadron collider.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Just so everyone knows, they (plextor) says its making 8X media too, that will indeed burn at 12X on this drive. Go to cdfreaks.com, they have all the info. laters
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by indolikaa
    ...I just prefer TY and they were only making DVD-R until last week.
    Last week? TY has been making DVD+Rs for about a year.
    Originally Posted by bdgriff
    Just so everyone knows, they (plextor) says its making 8X media too, that will indeed burn at 12X on this drive. Go to cdfreaks.com, they have all the info. laters
    Plextor is not actually making the media. Plextor 4x DVD+Rs are made by Taiyo Yuden and most likely the new 8x media too.

Anyway what's making the Plextor drive quite interesting imho is the Q-Check function in Plextools (if it's reliable): A "Q-Check" or quality control (C1/C2 error test, PI/PO error test, FE/TE test and Beta/Jitter test) before or after the burning process provides you with the necessary information about the quality of your DVD/CD.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by indolikaa
    Then again, I still burn at 1X and 2.4X
    Anyone with an Optorite203 shouldn't burn any faster
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by jaxxboss
    Did u buy one Johhny? By the way, I got the epson200 also. U get one of those yet? LOL
    I just got a Pioneer 107D, right before they dropped the price! Oh well. I'm going to hold off for a while 'til they come out with a dual layer before I consider upgrading again. I'll look into the Epson in a few weeks or so.

I'm just starting to get some cash flow after having been out after I stepped on a rock and broke my ankle last August. I'm also going to upgrade my computer, so it probably won't be 'til after I've finished that before I look into the printer. The problem is that I already have a nice HP, so I need to decide if I want 2 printers or what....
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by RabidDog
    You wont need to buy a light scribe drive to get the benefit .. just get a stencil.. cut out all the letters designs you want and then "flash" the top of the disc in an xray machine or any large hadron collider.
    Wow - a Large Hadron Collider - I will bet dollars for doughuts that the HP drive will be cheaper...

(Did you see the article on them (maybe) finding the Higgs Boson)...?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by -jsl-
    indolikaa wrote:
    ...I just prefer TY and they were only making DVD-R until last week.

Last week? TY has been making DVD+Rs for about a year.
    I stand corrected.

I had no idea they made +R media, as it's not listed on their US webpage under their products section.

I had been, until the beginning of the year, been buying my blank media from allmediaoutlet.com. They don't carry TY +R discs. When I switched to rima.com, I never thought to check.

I think we need to nominate Indolikaa for this month's official 'Indolikaa's WTF Award'
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DeleriumMDK
    Call me crazy but 4X is still lightning fast for me. Ive already bought 2 DVD burners, a Pioneer DVR-104 and this NEC ND-1300A. I refuse to buy another till they hit max speeds and its $100 for the drive. Its just turning into a pissing contest at this point and its ridiculous. 8X is how old? I'm not even seeing REAL LEGIT 8X media around yet, DVD-R, or DVD+R and now 12X +R is being introduced soon?
    Wow, are u ever missing the boat! 8x has been out and under $100.00 for awhile now. My +R -R writes 8x just dandy and at $69.00 u cant go wrong. Sure, there will always be something coming out faster, but if u keep waiting u will soon die of old age. Kinda like choosing a woman to marry.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I just got their 8X speed and can't find media to take advantage of it.
    Big Government is Big Business.. just without a product and at twice the price... after all if the opposite of pro is con then wouldn’t the opposite of progress be congress?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by tompika
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    Then again, I still burn at 1X and 2.4X
    Anyone with an Optorite203 shouldn't burn any faster
    Smart-ass!

It has nothing to do with the quality of the drive. It's all about the quality of the final product. You get better results when you just take it slow and smooth...

Originally Posted by BobV
    I just got their 8X speed and can't find media to take advantage of it.
    I think certain 4X media can be written at 8X, can't it?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by indolikaa
    You get better results when you just take it slow and smooth...
    Sound like my first girlfriend 18 yrs ago
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    I think certain 4X media can be written at 8X, can't it?
    Not for me. (It may be manufacturer dependent)
    Big Government is Big Business.. just without a product and at twice the price... after all if the opposite of pro is con then wouldn’t the opposite of progress be congress?
    Quote Quote  
  22. I can't even get my Plextor to do 8X without errors...think I'll hold off on the 12X.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jaxxboss
    Wow, are u ever missing the boat! 8x has been out and under $100.00 for awhile now. My +R -R writes 8x just dandy and at $69.00 u cant go wrong. Sure, there will always be something coming out faster, but if u keep waiting u will soon die of old age. Kinda like choosing a woman to marry.
    Im perfectly content with m NEC ND-1300A burning at 4X, and I said I don't plan on replacing this drive till a max-speed burner is out :P Why should I go out and buy an 8X drive now? or a 12X drive in a few months? 16X is probably right around the corner. Its not like we're at the beginning of this cycle, with DVD-R only writing at 1X. A lot of advances have been made in the technology and it keeps happening faster and faster. I don't know when max speed will be hit but I'm patient.

You know why I won't buy a new one again? You know what happened when I decided to get my Pioneer DVR-104? A week or two later I saw 4X drives for half the price I paid for mine (got it in store, didn't know about OEM till I came here, $180 for the Pioneer rebadged as a Cendyne). I then used up the remainder of my 2X discs and then ordered the NEC drive and some G04's. I'd really rather not get an 8X burner with 12X around the corner, or a 12X when 16X probably isn't that far away.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Why wait for a 16x right around the corner? By then 24x will be near, u may as well wait for that. Of course by then ........ LOL.
    You get my point?

As far as 4x writing at 8x, I have written 4x mems, and imations at 8x on my rebadged benq 8x writer with hardly any problems at all.

My first g/f never wanted to take it slow, it was always rush rush rush. Guess I was one of the lucky ones back then. LOL
    Quote Quote  
  25. I think that 12x media is going to be expensive & it's gonna save ya only 3 minutes per disk? I wonder how fast a computer its gonna need?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    https://www.videohelp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=210621

fulclives wrote:
    Point is no one cares about your silly news when the fact is we are all waiting on the soon-to-be-released dual layer DVD burners.

So don't be mad just because most of us don't give a crap.
    LOL! I guess to him this news crap. Go figure! All I did was give some news to people who read this forum site.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jaxxboss
    Why wait for a 16x right around the corner? By then 24x will be near, u may as well wait for that. Of course by then ........ LOL.
    You get my point?

As far as 4x writing at 8x, I have written 4x mems, and imations at 8x on my rebadged benq 8x writer with hardly any problems at all.

My first g/f never wanted to take it slow, it was always rush rush rush. Guess I was one of the lucky ones back then. LOL
    24X wont be around the corner, 16X will be the max speed. Is there some unwritten rule saying I MUST be excited about, and am required to purchase every piece of hardware that performs a little faster? I must have missed that one... My point is, 4X is still damn fast and why should I spend about another $100 (if I were to buy an 8X drive, it'd be the NEC, I swear by their drives) for slightly faster speeds? I've spent $300 on 2 DVD burners in under 1 year, and I still can't get rid of this damn A04, no one wants it.

I rush some things, but when it involves money, whats the point? I'm still using a 64MB GEForce2 video card simply because it performs well on the few PC games I play. If I worried so much about every new piece of hardware coming out I'd never get the chance to use or enjoy anything I have right now. There is almost always something better around the corner, especially when it comes to computers. I'd go broke trying to keep up, and its not worth it when what I have is acceptable.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Since 52x seems to be the maximum speed for cd writers and readers - I believe that once you go beyond this the disk starts to break up - this is a situation I would not like to experience. I understand that DVD 16x is the equivalent speed in terms of RPMS.

After this physical medium limit, I guess the next barrier is the ATA bus. I am fairly happy with my 2.4x - 4x burns. I will be upgrading in the future but I get a little tired of throwing money into this. Can you say depreciating asset?
    Quote Quote  
  29. The Plextor 708's write just fine at 8x to +R's from Memorex (Best Buy/CC) that are labeled 4x. I have the 708UF (external) and it does a great job.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I have the 708A and I love the 8X write speed, not sure if it is gonna really be worth getting the 712 for 2 mintues less write time per disk but I am interested in the SATA of the new Drive.
    The new internal drive is the first Plextor product to feature an integrated Serial ATA connection, enabling OEMs and System Integrators to leverage the benefits of Serial ATA. Serial ATA, which extends bandwidth to 150 MB/sec, is an evolutionary replacement for the Parallel ATA (E-IDE) physical storage interface. The interface supports one device per controller connection, eliminating master/slave configuration jumper issues. SATA also provides a substantial pin count reduction from Parallel ATA, while thinner cables help air-flow and improve cable routing.
    Quote Quote