VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Is there a program that I can use to convert mpeg or avi files to the dv video format. I have a LiteOn 5001 standalone dvd recorder that has a dv firewire input. I would like to take the converted dv files and transfer them to the LiteOn to author/burn.

Will this even work?

Thanks in advance,
    Jason.
    Quote Quote  
  2. The firewire is only an interface to communicate with the burner. Having it in DV format is a moot point.

Do you intend to play your files in a DVD player? If yes, you will need to author the DVD into the correct structure and burn it using the correct tools.
    -----------------------------------------------------

There is a reason why God gave us one mouth and two ears!!!
    Quote Quote  
  3. No. It's not a burner. It's a DVD video recorder. Just like a VCR, except it uses DVD's. Maybe I wasn't clear enough.

Thanks,
    Jason.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Jason,

I did a little digging and it turns out that the Liteon 5001's DV input only accepts DV AVI files from a camcorder. I guess you'll have to transfer the video file from your PC to the Liteon the analog way.

Regards,

Gil.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You could always encode to a very high bitrate MPEG-2 and output via a Sigma Designs Xcard.

This will output MPEG-2 with very good quality because the card has all the same stuff as a stand alone DVD player.

In short the output is better than that of ANY video card output but the trick is it only supports MPEG-2 (it also supports DivX but not very well so I wouldn't count on that).

So you could encode everything at CBR 8000kbps MPEG-2 standard with LPCM audio then output through the Xcard to your stand alone DVD recorder. In fact I think the Xcard can handle even higher bitrates than that ... me thinks it can handle combined audio and video up to 15000kbps!

But if you are going to go through all that then you might as well just get a DVD burner. You can get 8x dual format models now for around $100

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hate to say it but Windows Movie Maker2 will allow you to import an mpeg file and then save it back to a digital camera. This tape can then played to your LiteON. Should work very well and have no loss as the Mpeg will be converted to AVI.

Try with a short film and let us know how you get on !!
    Quote Quote  
  7. I recommend DropDV. On Mac OS X, just drop your MPEG file onto DropDV and it creates a DV stream.

http://www.dropdv.com
    Quote Quote