VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?CategoryID=cat01163&id=1051826235642&skuId=539...&ref=09&loc=01
    Fuji 50-Pack DVD-R Spindle
    Media Record Speed 1x
    Packaging Spindle
    Quantity 50-pack
    Storage Capacity 4.7GB

$99.00!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    That's strange.

According to their website, they have them in stock.

I figured people would have bought out the shekves at this price

kosekjm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe that means they are actual TYs at that price.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Out of curiousity,was that the response you expected?

Cheers,

George
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jaxxboss
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?CategoryID=cat01163&id=1051826235642&s kuId=5393889&type=product&ref=09&loc=01
    Media Record Speed 1x
    Packaging Spindle
    Quantity 50-pack
    Storage Capacity 4.7GB

$99.00!!
    Actually according to the sunday flyer this deal is $57.99 with an $8.00 mail-in rebate for a final total price of $49.99

Just to set the record straight.

Also I highly doubt at that price that these are Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    This sale is in effect March 7, 2004 through March 13, 2004
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by jaxxboss
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?CategoryID=cat01163&id=1051826235642&s kuId=5393889&type=product&ref=09&loc=01
    Media Record Speed 1x
    Packaging Spindle
    Quantity 50-pack
    Storage Capacity 4.7GB

$99.00!!
    OH MY GOD
    Quote Quote  
  7. https://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?dvdmediasearch=fuji&dvdmediadvdridsearch=&type=1&...+or+List+Media

Those would be Ritek G03's then, according to that link, since theyre only 1x speed.
    50 for 50 dollars isnt much of a deal for 1x's.

Anyone know who makes Fujifilm's cd-rs?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Anyone know who makes Fujifilm's cd-rs?

Whoops! CD-R's? Oh well...Here's their DVD+R

Media Information
    Region info N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Mfr ID RICOHJPNR01
    Formatted Size Blank
    Total Size 4.38GB(4.70GB)
    Book Type DVD+R
    Media type DVD+R
    Media Id Code Speed 4.0x 5540KBs
    Current Drive Speed 4.0x 5540KBs
    Default Rotation Control CLV
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    No of Layers 1[/quote]
    Geronimo
    Quote Quote  
  9. TY makes Fuji's CD-R's. Use them almost exclusively. I do have some Mitsui's around as well. Second only to TY.

Regards.
    "It is not enough to obey Big Brother. You must love him".
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    yup - i saw that there the other day - insane - rip off!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    TY doesn't make all of Fuji's CD-Rs now. If you get a 100 pack of Fuji
    CD-Rs now they are usually CMC or something like that. The 50 packs of Fuji CD-Rs that say 'Made in Japan' are 100% TY though. Have to be sure to get the 50 pack
    Quote Quote  
  12. I can confirm FulciLives' statement that the BestBuy offer is $50 for a 50 pack Fuji DVD-R after rebate ($58 without rebate).

But I looked at the spindle and it said made in Taiwan, not made in Japan, so I did not buy it.

Has anyone bought and used Taiwan-made Fuji DVD-Rs? I've had bad experiences with Taiwan-made DVD-Rs (mainly Memorex).
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The Fuji DVD-R 50 packs are Ritek G03 MOST of the time. Good quality blanks at a decent price. They can usually be burned at 2X with no problems provided you have the right firmware on your burner. The 10 pack Fuji DVD-Rs are Taiyo Yuden 4X media most of the time. Look for 'Made in Japan' on the box to be sure.

You can get a 50 pack of Ritek G04 from Newegg for about $45-50 shipped so I've just about quit buying at Best Buy for media. It only takes a couple of days for them to get here via FedEx Saver and it's not like I don't notice when my on hand stock is getting low before I really need it. It was different dealing with other mail order places in the past and the UPS ground shipping took forever from the west coast.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by David K
    I can confirm FulciLives' statement that the BestBuy offer is $50 for a 50 pack Fuji DVD-R after rebate ($58 without rebate).

But I looked at the spindle and it said made in Taiwan, not made in Japan, so I did not buy it.

Has anyone bought and used Taiwan-made Fuji DVD-Rs? I've had bad experiences with Taiwan-made DVD-Rs (mainly Memorex).
    I only buy the MADE IN JAPAN labeled FUJI DVD-R discs. I've heard that in the past they used RITEK G03 when the package says MADE IN TAIWAN but recently I've heard they use something else but I forget what it was ... something that started with a "P" as I recall.

I didn't pay that close attention when I read it because I prefer the Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    As with the DVD-R discs only the FUJI CD-R discs that are labeled MADE IN JAPAN are Taiyo Yuden brand.
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by bebrewer1
    TY doesn't make all of Fuji's CD-Rs now. If you get a 100 pack of Fuji
    CD-Rs now they are usually CMC or something like that. The 50 packs of Fuji CD-Rs that say 'Made in Japan' are 100% TY though. Have to be sure to get the 50 pack
    Mine say "Made in Taiwan", (let me guess, thats not japan right?)
    Interestingly enough, I put it in my DVDinfopro and it shows the cd-r as being "Prodisc technology inc." manufactured. What does this mean exactly? (Its not CMC, thats for sure)

Ok, what about TDK? Doesn't TDK make their own cd-rs? (No, ive found out by checking them that CMC makes tdks' cdrs) Is there a site with more info on "who makes what"?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Also interestingly enough, i put in one of my new imations, and it says

Media Information

Format Capacity 0.69GB(0.74GB)
    Media Type CD-ROM
    ATIP Start Time of Lead In (Media Code) 97m17s 6f
    ATIP Last Possible Start Time of Lead Out 79m59s74f
    Manufacturer Name Moser Baer India, Ltd.

Who the hell is Moser Baer????

On the other hand, i found out Sony makes their own cd-rs. So thats cool, i think.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Moloko_Plus
    Interestingly enough, I put it in my DVDinfopro and it shows the cd-r as being "Prodisc technology inc." manufactured. What does this mean exactly? (Its not CMC, thats for sure)

Ok, what about TDK? Doesn't TDK make their own cd-rs? Is there a site with more info on "who makes what"?
    I believe that Prodisc = Princo if I'm not mistaken. Not in the higher range of quality but adequate for lots of peoples needs. You can check the forums on cdrlabs.com to find out a good deal about who makes what CD-Rs. If there's a list as comprehensive as the media list on this forum is for DVD media, I'm not aware of it.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by bebrewer1
    Originally Posted by Moloko_Plus

Ok, what about TDK? Doesn't TDK make their own cd-rs? Is there a site with more info on "who makes what"?
    I believe that Prodisc = Princo if I'm not mistaken. Not in the higher range of quality but adequate for lots of peoples needs. You can check the forums on cdrlabs.com to find out a good deal about who makes what CD-Rs. If there's a list as comprehensive as the media list on this forum is for DVD media, I'm not aware of it.
    Yeh, i know princo makes some decent dvd-rs though...Oh well, i dont want to ponder this too much. Im going to invest in TY and Ritek dvdrs from now on. So far ive gone throug 25 dvd-r ritek g04's with no problemo, I guess ill look into some good TY's..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Prodisc is not Princo. Prodisc is Prodisc, Princo is Princo.
    Prodisc DVD+RW are excellent.

Moser Bauer is a media company.

The "P" name in some Fuji packs may be PIODATA which is badly made LEADDATA (which is already not great). PIODATA is getting as big as CMC in some circles.

Companies want cheap, because newbies don't know any better and go for the bargain bin. So good media is getting more scarce because it costs more to make (I'd assume some of that goes into more thorough QC).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, when I first looked at the web site it was $99.00 for 50 1x dvd spindle. Thats why i thought it was a sham. Sure, the next day the circ. had the lower price on them. But still, at 1x ? thats a buck a disc at 1x, not good, even if they are TY.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In response to Moloko_Plus, here is a useful link for finding out which factory is making which CD-R:

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_factories.shtml

Also, this is a page with test results regarding CD-R makers and longevity of the discs (bad news, Ritek!):

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_quality.shtml
    Quote Quote  
  22. Here we go, finally:

Went to Comp Usa, found they had several 30 packs of FujiFilm made in japan. Heres what they read:

Media Information

Format Capacity Not Formatted
    Free Blocks 736962560
    Free Capacity 702.82MB(736.96MB)
    Media Type CD-R
    ATIP Start Time of Lead In (Media Code) 97m24s 1f
    ATIP Last Possible Start Time of Lead Out 79m59s72f
    Manufacturer Name Taiyo Yuden Company Limited
    HD-BURN Certified YES
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 600KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 1200KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 12.0x 1800KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 16.0x 2400KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CAV 10.3x 1500KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CAV 13.8x 2100KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CAV 17.2x 2550KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CAV 20.7x 3150KBps

Someone said the 50 packs were taiyo yuden, But the 50 packs were made in taiwan, along with the 100 packs. 30 packs of fujifilm are the way to go. They were 9 dollars. I grabbed 2 packs. Tommorow ill be going back for the rest.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Originally Posted by Moloko_Plus
    Here we go, finally:

Went to Comp Usa, found they had several 30 packs of FujiFilm made in japan. Heres what they read:

Media Information

Format Capacity Not Formatted
    Free Blocks 736962560
    Free Capacity 702.82MB(736.96MB)
    Media Type CD-R
    ATIP Start Time of Lead In (Media Code) 97m24s 1f
    ATIP Last Possible Start Time of Lead Out 79m59s72f
    Manufacturer Name Taiyo Yuden Company Limited
    HD-BURN Certified YES
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 600KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 1200KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 12.0x 1800KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 16.0x 2400KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CAV 10.3x 1500KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CAV 13.8x 2100KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CAV 17.2x 2550KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CAV 20.7x 3150KBps

Someone said the 50 packs were taiyo yuden, But the 50 packs were made in taiwan, along with the 100 packs. 30 packs of fujifilm are the way to go. They were 9 dollars. I grabbed 2 packs. Tommorow ill be going back for the rest.
    Those are CDR's. The original post was about DVD's. If those were TY DVD's, I would be on my way to compusa right now .
    Quote Quote  
  24. Well the original topic was about dvdrs. Theres nothing wrong with switching over a bit into a related matter, (fuji dvdrs, to fuji cdrs. So sue me) for the last several replies we've been talking about cd-rs, in case you didnt notice. I was just posting a little follow-up, perhaps someone else is taking my advice right now as we speak and on their way to comp usa to find some 30 packs of fuji cdrs, yes?

But anyway, The 30 packs of fuji cdrs made in japan are by taiyo yuden and retail for 9 bucks. My quest is done, until they stop carrying them.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LOL. CDR's are so yesterday man! LOL. actually, switching over is hijacking a thread, not that this thread was anything that impotant really.
    But to go to a cd from a dvd disc is kinda going downhill
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Damn!

And I was going to launch into a grande narrative as to why I HATE BEST BUY and will NEVER SPEND ANOTHER CENT THERE...

Truth be told, I've had amazingly good luck with DVD+-R's (knock on wood). With the exception of some KHypermedias that wouldn't burn to save their own life, I've had pretty good luck. I've tried Memorex, TDK, and Ritek G04's with outstanding results.

I even bought some no-name DVD+R's a while back that worked out well. They were advertised as "1-4X." However, according to DVDInfoPro, they were only 2.4X. My NEC2500 faithfully burns them at 2.4x... However, my Plextor writes to them flawlessly at 8X -- go figure...

Oh -- and to not be guilty of conspiring to hijack the thread.

THAT DEAL AT BEST LIE errrrrr BUY IS A RIP-OFF!!!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by Moloko_Plus
    Well the original topic was about dvdrs. Theres nothing wrong with switching over a bit into a related matter, (fuji dvdrs, to fuji cdrs. So sue me) for the last several replies we've been talking about cd-rs, in case you didnt notice. I was just posting a little follow-up, perhaps someone else is taking my advice right now as we speak and on their way to comp usa to find some 30 packs of fuji cdrs, yes?

But anyway, The 30 packs of fuji cdrs made in japan are by taiyo yuden and retail for 9 bucks. My quest is done, until they stop carrying them.
    Moloko,
    No offense meant. I was just pointing that out so nobody would run down to compusa looking for fuji dvd's for that price.

Perro,
    I bought some kypermedia DVD-R's for officemax. They suck. But, they were really cheap after rebate, and they are good for testing stuff, I don't mind creating throw away test disks with them, since that's all they are good for.

Randy
    Quote Quote