VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have recently installed XP (formated HD) and am now having trouble with some video playback.
    Both files are captures I did a while back from my video camera.
    One is an MPG and the second an AVI. The MPG plays the pic but will not give any sound (using media player 8 or DivX player).
    The AVI was the same, however I can now play this perfectly in DIVX player. However in media player, it now gives sound but has a green broken up screen, so this on is not so much of an issue, as at least I can play it in something.
    I have ran AVICODEC to see if I had missing codecs and it said that it was supported on both pic and sound (have included results below).
    Some advice I got from somewhere was to install GordianKnot CodecPack(which was ver) 1.4. Not so good advice looking back.....
    I have removed all the codecs with ADD/Remove and also Computer Management by right clicking on my computer. I then re-installed just a few recommended by this site. Divx 3 + 5 etc.
    On another note my PC has an onboard sound card + another sound card.
    The onboard is normally disabled (as I use the other card as it has a game port). This however seemed to re-enable itself in between installing XP and the Codecs. It is now disabled and the additional card is solely in use. Didn't know if this was a clue.

If anyone has any clues they would be greatly appreciated????
    Thanks
    Mark

Info from AVICODEC for the two files:
    File : 1.37 GB (1.34 GB), duration: 2:19:40, type: MPG, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 63 %
    Video : 1.12 GB, 1150 Kbps, 29.970 fps, 352*240 (4:3), MPG1 = MPEG 1 (VCD), Supported
    Audio : 223 MB, 224 Kbps, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 0x51 = Mpeg-1 audio Layer 2 [0xc0], Supported

File : 264 MB (264 MB), duration: 1:20:06, type: AVI, 1 audio stream(s), quality: 28 %
    Video : 227 MB, 397 Kbps, 23.976 fps, 512*344 (4:3), DX50 = DivXNetworks Divx v5, Supported
    Audio : 36 MB, 64 Kbps, 44100 Hz, 2 channels, 0x161 = Windows Media Audio V2, Supported
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well, is this the only MPEG file that does this or do they all? If it's the only one, I would suspect a mistake in authoring. If it's not, then something has obviously taken over MPEG1 decoding. Look through your add/remove programs for something like Ligos or anything mentioning MPEG.

Regardless of what you do, you should really disable the motherboard's onboard sound in the BIOS if you don't plan on using it.

As to the AVI, this is a pretty common problem. It usually occurs when the XviD decoder tries to decode DivX files, but can be caused by other things as well. What I would do is simply install ffdshow and have it handle the decoding for all of your MPEG4 based files like DivX 3, 4, 5, and XviD. That way, you don't have to worry about which player you use. A new version of ffdshow came out today in fact with some improvements to xvid decoding.

Here's a link: http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail.php3?fid=1054056131
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks Prospero424

First of all the ffdshow fixed the green AVi.
    The MPG plays fine on another computer. Also I have another MPG1 file which shows all the same setting in AVICODEC for both sound and pic and this plays fine. So it may look like I have a corrupt file?

Add remove. The only things mentioned are:
    AC3Filter
    DIVX Codec
    DIVX Player
    ffdshow (just installed on your advice)
    GSPOT Codec Information Appliance
    VP6 VFW Codec
    XviD Video Codec 24062003-1 (Koepi's developer build).

Regarding the BIOS and onboard sound. This is and is always usually disabled. I had restored factory defaults and missed disabling it when setting up. As soon as I noticed I disabled it, hovever this was after I had installed alot of the codecs, so didn't know if it was a clue.

Thanks for your help
    Mark
    [/quote]
    Quote Quote  
  4. Well, since the same file plays just fine on a different computer, I don't think it's corrupt. It's most likely a quirk in the MPEG decoder/splitter on the first computer. I'm willing to bet you have a third-party decoder installed that is decoding MPEG 1 instead of the standard Windows one. If you can find this decoder and configure it to decode only MPEG2 and not MPEG1, that will most likely fix your problem.

Good Luck.
    Quote Quote