VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I was told that the the memorex media was RICOHJPNR, which is very good, but also told that Maxell media is RG01 and RG02.

Which is better the better product?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Not all Memorex is Ricoh. I have two 50 pk spindles, bought from BestBuy, and both are CMC. Buyer beware.
    Quote Quote  
  3. That's good to hear.

I wonder if I should buy some and return it if they are CMC?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Just came back from FS. The memorex are CMC

Time to return them and buy the Maxell!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You are confused. I bought 6 5-pack 4x DVD+R memorex from futureshop last week when it was on sale at $7.99. All were ricoh. In fact they are all ricoh.. But mind you, only the 5-packs, not the spindles.

I am assuming the spindles are CMC.

Maxell DVD+R are also RICOH. These are again the 5packs.. Same price.

It doesnt matter which one you buy really. Buy the cheaper one. Dont buy the spindles.

Also the RG01, RG02 Maxell media is not DVD+R, but DVD-R. YOu cannot compare apples and oranges.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is some confusion here, largely because of media types:

Memorex has 2 types of Media (DVD+R, DVD-R)

Maxell has 2 types of Media (DVD-R, DVD+R)

For the purpose of clarity, I am only talking about 5pk jewell case media. Spindles are an entirely different ball game. Spindles are EEEEEEvil

Memorex DVD-R: Media man/code: CMC
    Memorex DVD+R: Ricoh (RICOHJPNR01)
    Maxell DVD-R: Maxell (MXL RG01/ MXL RG02)
    Maxell DVD+R: Ricoh (RICOHJPNR01)

So a quick show of hands tells us:
    Maxell -R: Good (The best actually )
    Memorex -R: Bad
    Maxell and Memorex +R: Equivalent

So buy Maxell -R for the best discs. Second to them are the +R. The discs should be the same (from either Max or Mem) although Maxell may have higher Quality Assurance standards. So buy whichever brand is on sale.

My personal Heirarchy of Discs is this:

#1MXL RG01/02

#2 RitekG04 / RICOHJPN (Same pricepoint, branded ricohs usually have a nicer writing surface than blank topped Riteks. One of them may be slightly better than the other, but thats not really significant, as I use them as my #2 discs (ie. Not used for anything really important).

Hope that helps
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Very well said aggies11.

However, personally i rate the RICOHJNPR01 higher than RiteksG04 and would use them over riteks anyday. Again its personal preference.

The maxell DVD-R's MXL RG01 and RG02 are certainly crème de la crème ..best of the bunch (Right up there with TY).
    Quote Quote  
  8. I think i'm getting Maxell and Ritek confused?

I thought Ritek made RG03 and 04? no?

If so, then Maxell is RG01? a lower grade?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by X-treme
    I think i'm getting Maxell and Ritek confused?

I thought Ritek made RG03 and 04? no?

If so, then Maxell is RG01? a lower grade?
    You're confused.

RITEKG01
    RITEKG02
    RITEKG03
    RITEKG04
    MXLRG01
    MXLRG02
    TDKG01
    TDKG02

The codes actually don't mean anything to us.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. If the codes don't mean much, why does everyone stress about them?

Also, what's the big difference between MXLRG01 and MXLRG02?

Is it better quality? New product line?

Thanks lordsmurf.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Codes themselves dont mean much to us. These numbers and letters must mean something to manufacturers. I couldn't care it it were called
    BOzo01 or MXLRG01. They are just lablels.

They identify the dye, which is the more important part. MXLRG01 was the older 2x DVD-R dye that was used on Maxell discs. Now they make 4x discs (DVD-R) which are coded MXLRG02.

It has nothing to do with Ritek;s G01 to G04. NOTHING.

Don't concern yourself too much with these trivialities.

Go buy maxell, they are superior to ritek's, CMC's etc. and chill
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Avoid the memorex from FS and get the maxell's, I bought a 5 pack of memorex , the first batch worked fine but the second batch not one would work aftre being recorderd, but my cheap generics worked fine and the maxell's worked ok . Also when i took them back to FS, I was told my DVD-writer was the problem (possible but not likely) and they wouldn't refund the money. So buyer beware, if you find something that works stick with it regardless of the cost .
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thanks for the help guys.

I picked up 6 packages and am thinking about getting more.
    Mine were 4x.

I don't mind the 'puke' yellow top either..
    Quote Quote  
  14. Also don't be afraid of the spindles.
    I have bought two 50 pack spindles of inkjet maxells from CDW.com and
    they are 01 and 02. They work great.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Most memorex work just fine. ALL MAXELL WORK JUST FINE.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ugh, heh.

Media Code: The code itself has meaning, only in the sense that it indentifies a specific type of disc (manufacturer). Eg. MXL RG01 is the code that maxell chose for their 2x DVD-R Discs. MXL RG02 is the code that maxell chose for their 4x DVD-R Discs. Maxell could very well call their next 8x line "MXLP4RTOU6"

The actual letters and numbers themselves are pretty much arbitrary. They are just a name given to distinguish one product from another.

It's just like, if your name was John. Your parents could easily have called you Peter. It doesn't change anything about you. It's just an arbitrary name, whose sole purpose is to distinguish you from other people.

So we only care about codes, in the sense that it helps us identify a particular disc. Eg. "Maxell manufactured 4x DVD-R discs are great. I love them. Maxell labels those discs MXLRG02. So MXLRG02's are good discs to get".

The names themselves are meaningless and totally at the whim of the producer. It's like having two vacuums, one called "Dust bester 2000" and another called "Super Sucker 5500". The numbers they tack on are meaningless, and have no real relation to each other.

Hope that helps

Aggies
    Quote Quote  
  17. if you need to buy more than just 5, amazon sell 100pk memorex 4x spindle at $84.99, free shipping, so .85/each. at the other post, some report that these are ricoh, i buy one myself and find out.

i personally like the ricoh, even over the maxell, not because it better, but because i have been burn them at 8x on my liteon 851s drive, with beautiful kprobe graph. plays them on my 6 yrs old sony dvd player, no problem.

i am so happy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ))))))))))))))))))))))))
    TQ
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by drti2
    if you need to buy more than just 5, amazon sell 100pk memorex 4x spindle at $84.99, free shipping, so .85/each. at the other post, some report that these are ricoh, i buy one myself and find out.
    ))))))))))))))))))))))))
    Where did you see they are Ricoh? Please, let me know asap. Thx.
    Quote Quote