VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Heads up:

The Maxell 5 pack 2x DVD-R discs are on sale once again (probably the last time) on futureshop for $7.99. This is excellent, MADE IN JAPAN media with the famed MXL RG01 media code. Great discs.
    FOLLOW THE LINK HERE.

Caveat Emptor: The maxell 15 disc packs that go on sale at futureshop are not jewel-cased but come in a spindle, are MADE IN TAIWAN, and are Ritek G03, that burn at 1x. Totally not worth it.

Also, for the first time I have seen MAXELL 4X DVD+R 5 PACK at futureshop for sale at $7.99 cdn. This is the same media code as the Memorex that were on sale at the same price until yesterday (RICOHJPN01). Great media as well. It seems that futureshop puts the 2 on sale on alternating weeks. Doesn't matter either way, as they are the same media and price. These however are Made in Taiwan, I believe.

Cheers. [/url]
    Quote Quote  
  2. I saw that this morning, went and picked up a bunch at lunch.

Why is this probably the last time for these?

BTW, the ones I got were the 4x ones in the blue and white pack, still individual jewel cases.

Are these disks going out of produciton?
    Mechworker
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No, I was referring to the 2x DVD-R, not the 4x DVD+R.

Maxell is shipping the 4x DVD-R with the MXL RG02 media code, and will eventually stop making the RG01 with the 2x codes, as preference for faster writes supercedes quality for the average buyer.

In other words: An average buyer will buy an XYZ brand 4x before he/she buys a Maxell 2x.

Again, I don't have any confimatory evidence. I just heard it through the grapevine.

BTW -> Fuji 8x DVD-R discs have finally hit Japan. Cant wait to see how these perform. Pretty certain that Taiyo Yuden is making these discs.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I've been buying the 4x -R disks since I started recording about 3 weeks ago. Never had a problem.

Are the 4x disks a problem? they say made in Japan.
    Mechworker
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    For all you canadians out there, this is HUGE.

Why? Because maxell doesn't actually ship you the 2x discs. If you look at the manufacturer ID, these are infact 4x Discs. I picked these up when they were on sale for 9.99, and low and behold, they were 4x disc. When they arrived, the sale was already over. I had wished I could turn back time to get more.

Now they are on sale for even cheaper, $8 (CAD) for 5, is $1.60 a disc, which is bulk spindle Ritek cost. Thats an absolute steal for Maxell Media.

I'm literally gonna drop like $300 on these, it's that good of a deal.

Aggies
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is good news. Just to be clear regarding what we are talking about:

Are you referring to the Maxell 2x DVD-R discs being actually 4x? Are these also the 5 pack jewel cased discs?

I know the media code on these used to be MXL RG01 which is rated for 2x burns. Also, I know maxell makes MXL RG02, which are 4x, but i have not seen Explicitly 4x rated DVD-R (PLEASE note i am not talking about DVD+R) at futureshop.

So if you indeed did buy the 2x and got 4x instead, its awesome. I am going to my local one tomorrow and clearing it out..and the rest i will order from the web. After all, shipping is free..

Please can you post the media code using DVDinfopro. Thanks. I am curious.

Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  7. My question is: What's the difference between all the Ritek media that's available?

I bought a spindle of Ritek 2x that were G03. They worked great.

Maxell being G01, G02, isn't that a lower grade of dye used on the media?

I was told that the higher the number (G04) is the best to purchase.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong please!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Maxell is not G01 and G02. Its RG01 and RG02 and has nothing to do with Ritek media except for the coincidence that both have a G-followed by 2 numbers.

This maxell media is much superior to ritek media. Period.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Now they are on sale for even cheaper, $8 (CAD) for 5, is $1.60 a disc, which is bulk spindle Ritek cost. Thats an absolute steal for Maxell Media.

I'm literally gonna drop like $300 on these, it's that good of a deal.

Another local deal(Toronto) would be Ritek G04s for $1.65 a disc TAX included. www.mingtech.com They're in Markham. Or you can get a 50 spindle of the same for $64.00, at www.FansPC.com In the same mall. www.PacificmallToronto.com

The Maxells are superior to Ritek but just in case the riteks are a good alternative.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Went to the pembina store in winnipeg today and picked up 17 boxes of 5 I think im ok for a little while... with tax they came to 1.75 each .. not bad..
    Quote Quote  
  11. This is definitely a good deal. If you need media, it's not a bad idea to stock up.

I will add this. A year ago, I remember the Maxell 2x -R media was something like $26 per 5 pack. A few months later, they went on sale for $13 and I thought that was a steal. A few months later, they went on sale for $10 and I thought that was a steal. And now, a few months later, they're on sale for $8 and yes, that's a steal.

Every time they went on sale, I raced to pick up the media since I thought this may be my last chance. But it never was.

My attitude now... I'll bet in a few months, there will be another sale, a better deal than the last.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Media is always on sale. That's the good thing.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, but this particularly media does not go on sale, often Enough

It's not a mentally of "better stock up now, cause we'll never again see a price this good!". It's "better stock up now, because it will be a while until there is another good sale like this". Get enough media to last you until the next sale.

Personally, this price is pretty much reducing the disks to RitekG04 level prices. And there is absolutely no reason not to (and tons of reasons for!) to pickup Maxell discs instead of Riteks, for the same price.

To further Clarify someones above question:
    - Futureshop is dumb. They are pretty lax on the administrative side. Futureshop no longer carries Maxell DVD-R 2x media. (Aside from an old surplus or 2, you will find in a few stores). It's now all 4x media.

Unfortunately, they have neglected to update their webpage. All the relevant details for the link posted in this thread (SKU#, Manufacturer#, etc) are for the new 4x discs. But they have titled it wrong (as 2x), and ofcourse shown the wrong picture.

The sale is also on, in-store, but they have it properly labelled (4x DVD-R).

The web people are just lazy.

Aggies
    Quote Quote  
  14. Just got back from Futureshop and the 4X -Rs are on sale for $8. There were tons of them. Couldn't even find a 2x box.

I think I'll wait for the next price point drop. Right now, it's still Ritek G04 ($1.50 tax in) vs. Maxell 4X ($1.84 tax in).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Heck, it was such a good deal that I went to Future Shop Friday at lunch and bought all they had - 22 packs!

The cashier was really surprised, but I told her that she'd better be prepared for bellyaching from others, since they were now out of stock.

Mechworker
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LOL yea. I cleaned out my local store on Saturday too. Seems like everyone made a beeline for the DVD-R. The DVD+R section was still overflowing.

Even their website status has changed from "Avaliable" to "On Order" to "Taking orders now". Dang!

Twas a good deal.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mechworker
    Heck, it was such a good deal that I went to Future Shop Friday at lunch and bought all they had - 22 packs!

The cashier was really surprised, but I told her that she'd better be prepared for bellyaching from others, since they were now out of stock.

Thats why I never get them at 6:00pm after work on Fridays when they were on sale. I had to come back to pick them up a few days after I put down rainchecks.
    Sam Ontario
    Quote Quote  
  18. I went to my local futureshop store and bought out what was left (6 packs of the 4x) I wanted more thought. These will probably last me until the next time they drop the price, which may be in a couple months
    Quote Quote