VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have burnt over 100 3.9GB full dvds at x4 with DVD Workshop,using Princo white tops.

Of them I have got 5 returned saying their particular players do not play them. All are different players, some older, some brand new.

I think that's a pretty good average 5%, but then again as people are buying these, I need to get it to 99%. I have to re send these people another DVD but need the best chance I can that it will work in their players.

I get the message everywhere in the forums and newsgroups that these Taiyo Yuden discs are by far the most reliable and compatable altho' more exy that most.

Because of this info I went and bought what I thought may be TY discs

DVD-R Maxwell DR47,
    TDK DVD-R47EB,
    JVC VD-R47BEJ,
    FUJI DDR47CGY

All were made in Japan.

I wanted ones that I could label and in the past have chosen white blank tops. All of these above came with logos etc., which make labelling even more dicy than blanks do.

I am getting a CD printer so will definately need white tops.

What are TY the brands and code numbers so I don't have to waste my money getting like I did today.

Thanks

Oz

I also bought a white top Shintaro to try but it is made in Taiwain.

Also are there tests I make to see which of these discs may be more compatable.
    Quote Quote  
  2. If you just want to find out who makes what, put your dvd in and look at the media code using DVDinfopro.

And theres also https://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia , search for your brand and see if taiyo yuden makes it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Here are TY, white top disks

http://www.meritline.com/taiyo-yuden-dvd-r-47gb-4x-white-inkjet-printable.html

I am sure other internet places sell them too.

Randy
    Quote Quote  
  4. If they say "made in japan", they're most likely TY's. I haven't seen any Mitsui's running around. Although I suppose some could be Ricoh's.
    "It is not enough to obey Big Brother. You must love him".
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I dont think it is possible to get Ricoh and TY mixed up.

As far as i know, TY were only making DVD-R and Ricoh only DVD+R. Unless either of them have ventured into the other territory, its easy to tell whether a disc is TY based on whether it is DVD-R or not.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Taiyo Yuden, Ricoh, Ritek are all good discs. don't be afraid to use any of those.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FUJI makes a 10-pack of DVD-R discs with each disc comming in a full sized CD style jewel case. These say MADE IN JAPAN on the back and are Taiyo Yuden brand.

I buy them at BEST BUY for $24.99 per 10-pack.

I've heard that FUJI also makes a similiar 5-pack that is Taiyo Yuden discs but I've only ever seen the 10-packs myself.

BTW these FUJI Taiyo Yuden discs are 4x DVD-R

You can also buy Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-R discs direct from RIMA.COM amoung other websites.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

P.S.
    I think Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs are about the BEST blank recordable DVD media you can buy!
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by porphyra
    I dont think it is possible to get Ricoh and TY mixed up.

As far as i know, TY were only making DVD-R and Ricoh only DVD+R. Unless either of them have ventured into the other territory, its easy to tell whether a disc is TY based on whether it is DVD-R or not.
    There are no Ricoh DVD-Rs but Taiyo Yuden makes DVD+Rs too. Most Ricoh discs are made in Taiwan by Ritek though but Maxell DVD-Rs are made in Japan too.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives

I've heard that FUJI also makes a similiar 5-pack that is Taiyo Yuden discs but I've only ever seen the 10-packs myself.
    I've seen the 5-pack 4x DVD-R's at Kmart for $12.99, and they do say made in Japan on them.
    Quote Quote