VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Sounds like somebody took TY and MXL RG02 and came up with something in between.

I'm highly suscpicious.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Everything I have read about Piodata media says it is worthy of landfill. I am suspicious as well since Taiyo Yudens seem to use the code Yuden. Some sources seem to connect the TY identifier as Mitsumi. I'll wait and see.

New Info:

I have found three sources that list TYG02 as Taiyo Yuden Second Generation media. It looks as though Piodata has jumped from Lead data to the best media company around. With all that going for them it is curious that they try to get the connection to Pioneer. Their web site even copies the Pioneer colors.
    Still a few bugs in the system...
    Quote Quote  
  3. As of Easter Morning, Best Buy has the TDK 100 disk spindles for $99, for those of you who are into THE Passion of THE TDK.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After the easter sale, this place has Maxell 4x, Verbatim 4x, and TDK 2x for ~$75/50.

www.compuvest.com

Rima's Taiyo Yuden is @ $140/100 and $155/100 for the printables. Honestly, at $1.40 for a TY disc, I don't bother with anything else anymore. Considering what I used pay for Princo 3 years ago
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    K-MART has FUJI DVD-R and DVD+R blanks for $7.99 per 5-pack

Not a bad price for Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs.

This sale is for April 11, 2004 thru April 17, 2004

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    willrob, thanks for posting!
    I saw that and got dressed to rush to my local BB,
    only to find they were closed!!!

aaah, the holidays.....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    K-MART has FUJI DVD-R and DVD+R blanks for $7.99 per 5-pack

Not a bad price for Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs.

This sale is for April 11, 2004 thru April 17, 2004

I was at K-MART today and just wanted to confirm that the 5-pack FUJI DVD-R discs do say MADE IN JAPAN and are Taiyo Yuden 4x DVD-R discs (MEDIA ID = TYG01).

I bought 4 of the 5-packs and wiped out the store

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I took the add to my local Meijer's and got them with the price match. They only had 10 in stock, so I grabbed what they had. I'll have to go to one of those stores that offer a +10% price match garuntee.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    oh god, in a previous life i worked at a meijer in maple hill mall, oshtemo. in the video department of course.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Wow, I just bought 100 TDK 2x for 99.99 at Best Buy yesterday. I think today is the last day of their sale (reg 159.99). Even my Pioneer A03 likes them at 2x!! Very cool!!!!!!
    "A doctor's job is to find health, anyone can find disease."

-A.T. Still M.D.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Even my Pioneer A03 likes them at 2x!! Very cool!!!!!!
    Never mind, the A03 recognizes the media as 2x, but will still only burn at 1x.
    "A doctor's job is to find health, anyone can find disease."

-A.T. Still M.D.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by babgolis
    Even my Pioneer A03 likes them at 2x!! Very cool!!!!!!
    There is a special firmware you need to install if you want to use 4x media on a Pioneer A03/103

So not having the correct firmware very well might be the problem.

Here is the link to the firmware:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/hs/

After installing this any 4x DVD-R disc should burn at 2x on your Pioneer 103/A03

Quote Quote  
  13. I went to Kmart the other day and found the Fuji 5 packs...
    Where the heck is the MEDIA CODE printed??? I looked all over the box and even opened and removed the individual jewel cases inside and looked all over that packaging. The best I could do was find "Made in Taiwan". No TY G02 nor anything with "TY" or any other code other than the UPC code.
    Since you guys say only buy the ones made in Japan (especially with TDK) I passed (plus in my area they weren't on sale anyway - bummer).

Ironically, I bought my first pack of DVD-R's from Costco about a year ago. It's a 15 pack of 2X TDK's but it says "Made in Taiwan" - again where do I find the media code? I've looked all around the label and the disks and don't find any media code anywhere. No YT G02 or anything similar - just DVD-R47ACB15TP under the UPC code.

By the way, even though these TDK's were not made in Japan they have worked perfectly for me so far!

Per your recommendations, I'm sticking with TDK's - just hope CostCo gets them back in stock soon (they've been out the last few times I have been there).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There is a special firmware you need to install if you want to use 4x media on a Pioneer A03/103

TDK has been 2x certified since before 1.58 for the A03.

But the A03 will not burn made in Taiwan TDK at 2x, no matter what firmware you use, unless it's a hacked firmware. Even then 50% will have power calibration errors.

Taiyo Yuden, Maxell, and most 4x media are the only media that can be burnt at 2x with the A03.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by disturbed1

TDK has been 2x certified since before 1.58 for the A03.

But the A03 will not burn made in Taiwan TDK at 2x, no matter what firmware you use, unless it's a hacked firmware. Even then 50% will have power calibration errors.

Taiyo Yuden, Maxell, and most 4x media are the only media that can be burnt at 2x with the A03.
    Sorry I did not realize that!

I did have a Pioneer 103 but that was SO long ago and back then I only used Maxell and Fuji 2x MADE IN JAPAN media. By the time 4x media came out I had upgraded to my current NEC ND-1300A

Chock up another vote for MADE IN JAPAN media!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Booger
    I went to Kmart the other day and found the Fuji 5 packs...
    Where the heck is the MEDIA CODE printed??? I looked all over the box and even opened and removed the individual jewel cases inside and looked all over that packaging. The best I could do was find "Made in Taiwan". No TY G02 nor anything with "TY" or any other code other than the UPC code.
    Only the FUJI DVD-R packs that say MADE IN JAPAN are Taiyo Yuden DVD-R discs.

The 4 5-packs I bought at my K-Mart all said MADE IN JAPAN ... it says this on the back of the box ... also each jewel case says it (yeah I'm actually down to all but 3 or 4 now out of the 20 discs I bought).

I've never heard of a FUJI 5-pack of DVD-R discs that said MADE IN JAPAN unless you were looking at the 5-pack DVD+R discs. That's a completely different thing.

P.S.
    The media code or media ID can only be read on a computer. This is never printed on the package. However like I said you want FUJI DVD-R discs that say MADE IN JAPAN as these are Taiyo Yuden brand (which is what you want). If you find a package of FUJI DVD-R discs that say anything else (such as MADE IN TAIWAN) then you do not want them!

*** YET ANOTHER EDIT ***
    I just wanted to add one more thing ... to the best of my knowledge the K-Mart sale ended on April 17, 2004

As an alternative I would check out Wal-Mart as they usually stock the Maxell 4x DVD-R discs that say MADE IN JAPAN and are nearly as good as FUJI Taiyo Yuden. These Maxell discs come in a 10-pack for something like $16.84 (you know Wal-Mart and their "oddball" prices). Anyways my point is that is a cheap price that seems to be the every day normal price and in my opinion these Maxell discs are better than TDK discs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Chock up another vote for MADE IN JAPAN media!
    Pioneer support told me about that.

TDK discs are now made in the CMC Taiwan plant, including the TTG01 4x media.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Be careful when buying FUJI disks if the sale price involves a rebate. When you register the reabte claim on their web site (which is supposed to get the rebate check to you much faster), it says allow 6 to 10 weeks for the rebate. I'm still waiting for rebates from last October. When I check on them there is an incremental update to the status, but it still hasn't gotten to the check cutting stage.

In the long run, I thinks its best to find a reliable brand that you can get (bulk) at a reasonable price all the time. Hunting for sales and rebates can leave you with qustionable media, and requires too much patience. It's bad enough we have to wait four hours for iDVD to mutiplex a project.

william
    Quote Quote  
  19. I must admit that the only successful 2x burning I've had on my A03 has been a Maxell disc. I'll try the firmware update. I'm not too concerned though, I have a lite-on 851s that burns very nicely at 4x (8x for d+r - which are allegedly supported by osx now). The patchburn II hack from xlr8yourmac.com makes the 851s work perfectly in the majority of iApps - I haven't tried iDVD, but I never used that program anyway.

I am having errors in burning actually with these discs (TDK 2x made in Taiwan). I'm 2 for 4 so far...

Thanks for the advice all!
    Quote Quote  
  20. I'd be grateful if anyone can get me a lead on 2X discs for my Pioneer 104 DVD burner (revision A227) -- for less than $1 per disc.

It used to be a piece of cake to find them -- Meritline, Supermediastore, Allmediaoutlet -- I bought from them all. Prices were down to about $.60 a disc, for the house brands, and I always had great success burning

At some point about six months ago, all the 2X discs I've purchased will only run at 1X speed. No matter where I shop from, the house brands have all turned on me. The expensive brand-names burn fine at 2X, but at $1.50 a pop, I don't want them!

Has ANYONE gotten decent house brand 2X discs for the Pioneer 104 recently???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by schmeg
    I'd be grateful if anyone can get me a lead on 2X discs for my Pioneer 104 DVD burner (revision A227) -- for less than $1 per disc.

It used to be a piece of cake to find them -- Meritline, Supermediastore, Allmediaoutlet -- I bought from them all. Prices were down to about $.60 a disc, for the house brands, and I always had great success burning

At some point about six months ago, all the 2X discs I've purchased will only run at 1X speed. No matter where I shop from, the house brands have all turned on me. The expensive brand-names burn fine at 2X, but at $1.50 a pop, I don't want them!

Has ANYONE gotten decent house brand 2X discs for the Pioneer 104 recently???
    Stop bitching about the price already. The absolute best DVD-R media is Taiyo Yuden and they are made in Japan and should burn A-OK on your DVD burner.

RIMA.COM has them as cheap as $1.40 per disc

If you think that is too expensive then you need another hobby that doesn't cost you so much.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by flanman
    Hi..
    Be careful with the TDK 2x DVD-r media and your mac. My wife and an Imac with the superdrive made by pioner. I believe it is the A04 model. When I tried to use the media I got a callibration error and could not use it. I could use it fine on my Sony 500 and Liteon 411 and 451 drives fine.
    Just a little heads up. I had found other posts where other mac users had similiar problems with this exact media. Just might want to borrow one and test before buying in bulk.

flanman
    I bet it was the A03, because some of the firmwares for A03 were not TDK-friendly.

Bulk TDK (unbranded) are fake. Beware.

TDK in 100 packs are at Best Buy. Normal price like $180, on sale for $99 to $150 once a month. Not bad.

I think all TDK is from Taiwan, and none from Japan, but I don't remember. It's been too long since I looked at a wrapper, and I just tossed out the last one.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    I think all TDK is from Taiwan, and none from Japan, but I don't remember. It's been too long since I looked at a wrapper, and I just tossed out the last one.
    I bought a 5 pack of TDK 2x DVD-R discs from TARGET once a few months back. These came in regular movie style DVD cases.

I guess they were OK ... I ran the READ ERROR TEST using DVDInfoPro on 4 of the 5 and none reported any errors at all.

But I was not impressed. They were too expensive for only 2x DVD-R media ... I have a 4x DVD burner after all ... and one of the 5 was broken ... the hole in the center had a slight crack and a very small piece of it was missing.

I wish I could remember when I bought them but I'll guess it was a good 6 months or so ago.

Quote Quote  
  24. disturbed1 said...
    "...TDK discs are now made in the CMC Taiwan plant, including the TTG01 4x media."

----------------

Does this mean these TDK's that are now made in the Taiwan Plant (as opposed to Japan) are still Taiyo Yuden?
    If not, are they "just as good"? (i.e. should we still keep buying them?)

Was just in Costco and they had TDK 25pk 4x CD-R $29.99 and TDK 15pk CD+R (both packages say made in Taiwan).

Interested to hear what galactica, fulcilives and the rest of you guys have to say - this is a great forum - you guys (and gals) really know your stuff!!!
    Quote Quote  
  25. My 2 cents-
    I shoot video/ edit for a living and just for those who care to hear... we always burn on 1-2X RITEK or Memorex media. You can get a 50 pack of Ritek DVD-R media (NEVER had a coaster (and that's hundreds and hundreds of disks) and we love them) and you can get a 50 pack for about 47-50 dollars (before shipping (usually about 4-5 dollars) for PRINTABLE disks. and even better deals if you buy in bulk (100 or more). Good luck everyone- just do a search on google and look for the best price Peace I'm outta here! (Oh, and don't forget not to use labels for your DVDr-s. They have been found to mess up dvd players and scratch dvd's (don't yell at me anyone- again just my 2. ) Peace
    Quote Quote