VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a couple of .avi movies that I haven't been able to convert to dvd. I originally tried mpeg2works, sizzle and toast. Eventhough, I can play the movies using VLC but with QT and Toast, the movie shows a collage of colors with out sound.

I ran the avi files through DIVX Doctor II but that didn't help.

Finally, I used ffmpegx. The top line shows: VIDEO: DIVX, size: 592x320, 23.976 fps, 821 kbps. AUDIO: mp3, 48000Hz, 128 kbps. First I used the default DVD setting but the Video_TS still showed the collage. I then tried setting Video Codec to MPEG2 (ffmpeg), Video Bitrate 4241, 1 CDs of DVD 4GB, Video size: 720xsetting, Autosize DVD 16:9, Framerate NTSC (29.97). Audio Codec: .MP2. Options: High quality. Tools: Author as DVD, Mux as DVD.

I end up with a .mpg file 2.04GB in size. Toast says the file needs 4.9 GB and is too big for a 4.4GB DVD. I first tried using Mpeg2Splitter. It said MPEG header not found. It created two . m2v chunks, but Toast said the MPEG stream is incomplete.

After going through the posts in this area, I realized that ffmpegx can split the file. So I checked Split in 2 chunks, but I still got a single .mpeg file 2.04GB in size.

Is there any hope for me to convert .avi movies to mpeg2 and burn it on DVD(s)? Thanks for any advice.

Mazjazz
    Quote Quote  
  2. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I've been doing this quite a lot recently (converting divx avis to mpeg2 with ffmpegx, author with sizzle, burn dvd with toast) so I'm not sure what's wrong with your file. What happens when you play it through QT? What divx codec do you have installed? And what exactly does a 'collage' look like?
    Quote Quote  
  3. iamSINATRA
    Thoughton, how are you authoring with sizzle? I can't complete the job in Panther or Jaguar (on my secondary drive). It seems to forget about my second title during the conversion process.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Perhaps there is something wrong with your mpeg2 streams? I doubt you're making a mistake using sizzle, it's pretty simple, but I'll run through what I do anyway...

After running the avis through ffmpegx on highDVD preset I end up with m2v and mpa streams. I plug these into sizzle (on the 'chapters' tab, click input file path, select the m2v, then switch to Audio Track and select the mpa). Click Add Chapter and repeat for the next set of m2v and mpas, etc etc. Then 'create disc image' and sit back and wait. I end up with a disc image containing audio_ts and video_ts.

Note that you need at least twice as much space on your HD as your final DVD size or sizzle will fail. In my case with 4 avis I end up with about 5gigs worth of m2vs and mpas, so I need 10gigs free on the HD before I click 'create disc image'. Once sizzle is done (less than an hour) you might have to run the final product through dvd2onex to get it down to DVD-R size.

I'm using 10.3.2.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thank you for your replies thoughton. For your first question, when I play it through QT, I get this collage of colors moving around the screen and changing as the scene changes. There are hundreds of colored squares moving around and changing colors. Then, I ran the file through Divx Doctor II but get the same video in QT. I do hear the audio of the movie.

I installed the mpeg2 codec but I'm not sure of anything else. Is there a way to check?

On your second reply, I forgot what I got from ffmpegx but from mepg2works, I get a m2v, mp2 and mpeg. I have never had a mpa output. The last time I tried ffmpegx and sizzle .1, the program failed in either sizzle or toast, I can't remember which.

I checked out dvd2one, but it only accepts TS_VIDEO source. The only successful output I've gotten is a 2.06GB .mpg file that Toast says is too big.

Right now I'm trying your suggestion of running ffmepgx with high bit-rate DVD preset. It's been running for 4 hours and it is still at 1%. This will take several days to complete. I'll let you know what happens after I run sizzle (.1 or 2?).

I don't understand why the 2.06GB .mpg movie is too big to burn on a 4.4GB DVD? Most commercial movies play on a sigle DVD. Is there a way to split a 2.06GB .mpg file in 2 parts or condense it to fit on one DVD? I tried mpeg2splitter, the applescript Mov2DVparts, and ffmpegx. None of them worked.

Thank you for your help. At some point I'll give up and just watch the avis on my Mac rather than trying to burn them on a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Here is an update. I downloaded the 3ivx codec and installed it. Now I can watch the avi movies using QT with the video and sound working fine, except for one avi movie where I get no sound.

I think ffmpegx has stalled. Here is the information:
    INFO: [yuvscaler] yuvscaler (version 1.7.0) is a general scaling utility for yuv frames
    Fri Mar 5 14:19:19 PST 2004
    INFO: [yuvscaler] (C) 2001-2002 Xavier Biquard <xbiquard@free.fr>
    INFO: [yuvscaler] yuvscaler -h for help, or man yuvscaler
    ++ WARN: [yuvscaler] Could not infer norm (PAL/SECAM or NTSC) from input data (frame size=592x320, frame rate=24000:1001 fps)!!
    INFO: [yuvscaler] input: frame size: 592x320 pixels (284160 bytes)
    INFO: [yuvscaler] input: frame rate: 24000/1001 fps (~23.976024)
    INFO: [yuvscaler] input: interlace: none/progressive
    INFO: [yuvscaler] input: sample aspect ratio: 1:1
    INFO: [yuvscaler] from 592x320, take 592x320+0+0, NOT_INTERLACED/PROGRESSIVE
    INFO: [yuvscaler] scale to 592x320, 592x320 being displayed, NOT_INTERLACED/PROGRESSIVE
    INFO: [yuvscaler] Scaling uses the RESAMPLE algorithm,
    INFO: [yuvscaler] without line switching
    INFO: [yuvscaler] without time forwarding
    INFO: [yuvscaler] Without luminance correction
    INFO: [yuvscaler] Without chrominance correction
    INFO: [yuvscaler] frame rate: 23.976 fps
    INFO: [yuvscaler] Scaling ratio for width is 1 to 1
    INFO: [yuvscaler] and is 1 to 1 for height
    INFO: [yuvscaler] Specific downscaling routing number 4
    INFO: [yuvscaler] output: frame size: 592x320 pixels (284160 bytes)
    INFO: [yuvscaler] output: frame rate: 24000/1001 fps (~23.976024)
    INFO: [yuvscaler] output: interlace: none/progressive
    INFO: [yuvscaler] output: sample aspect ratio: 1:1
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Selecting DVD output profile
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Assuming norm NTSC
    ++ WARN: [mpeg2enc] 3:2 movie pulldown with frame rate set to decode rate not display rate
    ++ WARN: [mpeg2enc] 3:2 Setting frame rate code to display rate = 4 (29.970 fps)
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Encoding MPEG-2 video to /Volumes/Backup HD/Lost_in_Translation.m2v
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Horizontal size: 592 pel
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Vertical size: 320 pel
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Aspect ratio code: 2 = 4:3 display
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame rate code: 4 = 30000.0/1001.0 (NTSC VIDEO)
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Bitrate: 1641 KBit/s
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Quality factor: 3 (Quantisation = 3) (1=best, 31=worst)
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Field order for input: none/progressive
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] New Sequence every 9999 Mbytes
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Assuming non-video stream of 246 Kbps
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Search radius: 16
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] GOP SIZE RANGE 9 TO 15
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Setting colour/gamma parameters to "NTSC"
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Progressive format frames = 1
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] 3:2 Pulldown selected frame decode rate = 23.976 fps
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Using default unmodified quantization matrices
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Buffering 39 frames
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING AltiVec for QUANTIZER!
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING AltiVec for MOTION!
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING AltiVec for TRANSFORM!
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] SETTING AltiVec for PREDICTION!
    INFO: [yuvscaler] End of stream!
    INFO: [yuvscaler] Normal exit: end of stream with frame number 1942!
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Guesstimated final muxed size = 18132729
    INFO: Opened WAV file, freq = 48000 Hz, channels = 2, bits = 16
    INFO: format = 0x1, audio length = 1171934208 bytes
    INFO: slots/frame = 672
    INFO: frac SpF=0.000, tot bitrate=224 kbps, s freq=48.0 kHz
    INFO: System is big endian

I might try another avi file incase the first one is corrupted. I would appreciate any feedback.

Mazjazz
    Quote Quote  
  7. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Mazzjazz does your HD have a space in the name? (i.e. "Backup HD")? If so you shoudl remove the space, ffmpeg will choke on spaces and other weird characters, stick to letters, numbers and underscores. 4 hours for 1% can't be right, so I think this is probably your problem. A 90 min movie takes about 12 hours on a 667Mhz G4.

Regarding your avi which has no sound in QT, it probably has an unusual audio codec. When you drop it onto the ffmpegx icon the info bar at the top of the main window should tell you what the audio is (e.g. "AUDIO: ac3, 48000Hz"). If it does have ac3 audio (quite common on avis in my experience) it wont play in quicktime until you install the quicktime ac3 codec ( http://www.insaneness.com/ac3.html ).

HTH,
    Quote Quote  
  8. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Oh yeah, almost forgot - that was a typo by me earier about the mpa. I should have said I end up with an m2v and an mp2 (which I then use in sizzle 0.1). ffmpegx on 'DVDhigh-bitrate' will also produce a DVD folder in addition to the m2v and mp2 but I usually trash the DVD folder as it is 'jumpy'. Authoring a new DVD in sizzle fixes that.

After sizzle 0.1 finishes you will end up with a folder called 'My DVD' or something like that. Inside thatg is a video_ts folder which you might need to run through dvd2onex (if it's over 4.3gig) before you burn it.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I tried another movie, Zoolander.avi. I ran ffmpegx as you suggested, thoughton, it took two days and now it is showing 100%. I assumed that meant it was done, but when I ran the resulting files through sizzle .1, about 25% into it I got the error "Track file generation failed, an error occured while multiplexing". I didn't cancel ffmpegx and when I tried to end the process that has 100%, it said it was still running. When do I know the process is complete?

Thoughton, when I read your post about changing Backup HD to Backup_HD, I was already running ffmepgx for over a day. Here is the information from ffmpegx:

Encoding started on Fri Mar 5 18:56:51 PST 2004
    INFO: [yuvscaler] yuvscaler (version 1.7.0) is a general scaling utility for yuv frames
    ++ WARN: [yuvscaler] Could not infer norm (PAL/SECAM or NTSC) from input data (frame size=720x480, frame rate=24000:1001 fps)!!
    INFO: [yuvscaler] input: frame size: 720x480 pixels (518400 bytes)
    INFO: [yuvscaler] from 720x480, take 720x480+0+0, NOT_INTERLACED/PROGRESSIVE
    INFO: [yuvscaler] scale to 720x480, 720x480 being displayed, NOT_INTERLACED/PROGRESSIVE
    INFO: [yuvscaler] output: frame size: 720x480 pixels (518400 bytes)
    ++ WARN: [mpeg2enc] 3:2 movie pulldown with frame rate set to decode rate not display rate
    ++ WARN: [mpeg2enc] 3:2 Setting frame rate code to display rate = 4 (29.970 fps)
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Encoding MPEG-2 video to /Volumes/Backup HD/ZOOLANDER.m2v
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Horizontal size: 720 pel
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Vertical size: 480 pel
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame rate code: 4 = 30000.0/1001.0 (NTSC VIDEO)
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Bitrate: 4000 KBit/s
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] 3:2 Pulldown selected frame decode rate = 23.976 fps
    couldn't load a cfm component -2851 (<Component>)!
    INFO: [yuvscaler] Normal exit: end of stream with frame number 128230!
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Guesstimated final muxed size = 2552908002
    INFO: Opened WAV file, freq = 48000 Hz, channels = 2, bits = 16
    INFO: format = 0x1, audio length = 1026842112 bytes

Is the process complete? If so, why am I getting the error from Sizzle?Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Update. I just clicked on Zoolander.mp2 and the file size and time changed. So, ffmpegx process is still running. I assume it will say finished at some point. but I wish I knew when. The process bar still says 100%.

Mazjazz
    Quote Quote  
  11. ffmpegx failed. I ran out of hard disk. Can I run the MPLEX part over again now that I freed up disk space or do I have to start over with ffmpegx? Here is the additional process information:

INFO: Avg slots/frame = inf; b/smp = inf; br = inf kbps
    INFO: Encoding with psychoacoustic model 2 is finished
    INFO: The MPEG encoded output file name is "/Volumes/Backup HD/ZOOLANDER.mp2"
    INFO: [mplex] mplex version 2.2.2 ($Date: 2003/05/13 20:27:15 $)
    INFO: [mplex] File /Volumes/Backup HD/ZOOLANDER.m2v looks like an MPEG Video stream.
    INFO: [mplex] File /Volumes/Backup HD/ZOOLANDER.mp2 looks like an MPEG Audio stream.
    INFO: [mplex] Video stream 0: profile 8 selected - ignoring non-standard options!
    INFO: [mplex] Found 1 audio streams and 1 video streams
    INFO: [mplex] Selecting dvdauthor DVD output profile
    INFO: [mplex] Multiplexing video program stream!
    INFO: [mplex] Scanning for header info: Video stream e0 (/Volumes/Backup HD/ZOOLANDER.m2v)
    INFO: [mplex] VIDEO STREAM: e0
    INFO: [mplex] Frame width : 720
    INFO: [mplex] Frame height : 480
    INFO: [mplex] Aspect ratio : 4:3 display
    INFO: [mplex] Picture rate : 29.970 frames/sec
    INFO: [mplex] Bit rate : 4000000 bits/sec
    INFO: [mplex] Vbv buffer size : 229376 bytes
    INFO: [mplex] CSPF : 0
    INFO: [mplex] Scanning for header info: Audio stream c0 (/Volumes/Backup HD/ZOOLANDER.mp2)
    INFO: [mplex] MPEG AUDIO STREAM: c0
    INFO: [mplex] Audio version : 1.0
    INFO: [mplex] Layer : 2
    INFO: [mplex] CRC checksums : no
    INFO: [mplex] Bit rate : 28672 bytes/sec (224 kbit/sec)
    INFO: [mplex] Frequency : 48000 Hz
    INFO: [mplex] Mode : 0 stereo
    INFO: [mplex] Mode extension : 0
    INFO: [mplex] Copyright bit : 0 no copyright
    INFO: [mplex] Original/Copy : 0 copy
    INFO: [mplex] Emphasis : 0 none
    INFO: [mplex] SYSTEMS/PROGRAM stream:
    INFO: [mplex] rough-guess multiplexed stream data rate : 4294048
    INFO: [mplex] target data-rate specified : 10080000
    INFO: [mplex] Setting specified specified data rate: 10080000
    INFO: [mplex] Run-in Sectors = 89 Video delay = 13019 Audio delay = 14520
    INFO: [mplex] New sequence commences...
    INFO: [mplex] Video e0: buf= 237568 frame=000000 sector=00000000
    INFO: [mplex] Audio c0: buf= 4096 frame=000000 sector=00000000
    ++ WARN: [mplex] Data follows end of last recogniseable MPEG audio frame - bad stream?
    INFO: [mplex] STREAM c0 completed @ frame 29415.
    **ERROR: [mplex] Failed write: /Volumes/Backup HD/ZOOLANDER.mpg

Thank you.

Mazjazz
    Quote Quote  
  12. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not very good at reading those log outputs, but it looks like it was already creating the mpg file, which means you should have the m2v and mp2 somewhere. You should be able to use those two in sizzle, you dont need the mpg or the dvd image.

Also dont forget that when you use sizzle you will need loads of free space (double the size of your m2vs and mp2s).

Regarding the ffmpeg progress, for me it says 100% after it's generated the m2v, the mp2 and post-processing stuff (building the dvd image) all take place afterwards. When it's totally finished it will say 'Finished' or 'Failed' instead of 100%. Sometimes I get a 'Failed' message but I presume it's some error with building the DVD image, since I am always still able to use the m2v and mp2.

I'm still kinda amazed your conversion is working at all with that space in your HD name. Any spaces in the path name always make my conversions fail. But they fail right at the beginning after only a few seconds of processing, so yours seems to be working somehow.

HTH
    Quote Quote  
  13. Thank you for your help, thoughton. I was able to use the mv2 and mp2 files in Sizzle and then burn the movie finally.

BTW, do you know what can be done with a .mov movie that both iDVD and Toast says is too large to burn? What shocks me is that the .mov files are no larger than 550MB. Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Glad to hear it worked!

For your mov you should be able to do pretty much the same thing (drop onto ffmpegx, choose dvd preset, burn the resultant m2v and mp2 with sizzle). A mov is just another media container, much like an avi, it can contain mpeg2 or divx or whatever. You might have to make a click a few options on ffmpegx depending on what sort of audio the mov contains and what aspect ratio etc.

The too-large to burn message is to do with the duration of your mov, not the size of the file. Both toast and iDVD will convert that mov back into mpeg2 automatically (and the error message means that toast and idvd think the final mpeg2 will be larger than 4.3gig).

Just make a DVD image using sizzle like you did with the avi, then use dvd2onex on the video_ts folder that is inside dvd image produced by sizzle.

HTH
    Quote Quote  
  15. I inputed a .mov movie to ffmpeg as you suggested thoughton. After running two days, I got the following error:

Encoding started on Wed Mar 10 16:18:20 PST 2004
    ++ WARN: [yuvscaler] Could not infer norm (PAL/SECAM or NTSC) from input data (frame size=720x480, frame rate=24000:1001 fps)!!
    INFO: [yuvscaler] input: frame size: 720x480 pixels (518400 bytes)
    INFO: [yuvscaler] from 720x480, take 720x480+0+0, NOT_INTERLACED/PROGRESSIVE
    INFO: [yuvscaler] scale to 720x480, 720x480 being displayed, NOT_INTERLACED/PROGRESSIVE
    INFO: [yuvscaler] output: frame size: 720x480 pixels (518400 bytes)
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Encoding MPEG-2 video to /Volumes/Backup HD/OCEAN_11.m2v
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Horizontal size: 720 pel
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Vertical size: 480 pel
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Frame rate code: 1 = 24000.0/1001.0 (NTSC 3:2 pulldown converted FILM)
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Bitrate: 4000 KBit/s
    INFO: [yuvscaler] Normal exit: end of stream with frame number 164371!
    INFO: [mpeg2enc] Guesstimated final muxed size = 3122492934
    INFO: Opened WAV file, freq = 44100 Hz, channels = 2, bits = 16
    INFO: format = 0x1, audio length = 1209314304 bytes
    INFO: Avg slots/frame = inf; b/smp = inf; br = inf kbps
    INFO: Encoding with psychoacoustic model 2 is finished
    INFO: The MPEG encoded output file name is "/Volumes/Backup HD/OCEAN_11.mp2"
    INFO: [mplex] mplex version 2.2.2 ($Date: 2003/05/13 20:27:15 $)
    INFO: [mplex] File /Volumes/Backup HD/OCEAN_11.m2v looks like an MPEG Video stream.
    INFO: [mplex] File /Volumes/Backup HD/OCEAN_11.mp2 looks like an MPEG Audio stream.
    INFO: [mplex] Video stream 0: profile 8 selected - ignoring non-standard options!
    INFO: [mplex] Found 1 audio streams and 1 video streams
    INFO: [mplex] Selecting dvdauthor DVD output profile
    INFO: [mplex] Multiplexing video program stream!
    INFO: [mplex] Scanning for header info: Video stream e0 (/Volumes/Backup HD/OCEAN_11.m2v)
    INFO: [mplex] VIDEO STREAM: e0
    INFO: [mplex] Frame width : 720
    INFO: [mplex] Frame height : 480
    INFO: [mplex] Aspect ratio : 4:3 display
    INFO: [mplex] Picture rate : 23.976 frames/sec
    INFO: [mplex] Bit rate : 4000000 bits/sec
    INFO: [mplex] Vbv buffer size : 229376 bytes
    INFO: [mplex] CSPF : 0
    INFO: [mplex] Scanning for header info: Audio stream c0 (/Volumes/Backup HD/OCEAN_11.mp2)
    INFO: [mplex] MPEG AUDIO STREAM: c0
    INFO: [mplex] Audio version : 1.0
    INFO: [mplex] Layer : 2
    INFO: [mplex] CRC checksums : no
    INFO: [mplex] Bit rate : 28672 bytes/sec (224 kbit/sec)
    INFO: [mplex] Frequency : 48000 Hz
    INFO: [mplex] Mode : 0 stereo
    INFO: [mplex] Mode extension : 0
    INFO: [mplex] Copyright bit : 0 no copyright
    INFO: [mplex] Original/Copy : 0 copy
    INFO: [mplex] Emphasis : 0 none
    INFO: [mplex] SYSTEMS/PROGRAM stream:
    INFO: [mplex] rough-guess multiplexed stream data rate : 4294048
    INFO: [mplex] target data-rate specified : 10080000
    INFO: [mplex] Setting specified specified data rate: 10080000
    INFO: [mplex] Run-in Sectors = 89 Video delay = 13019 Audio delay = 16773
    INFO: [mplex] New sequence commences...
    INFO: [mplex] Video e0: buf= 237568 frame=000000 sector=00000000
    INFO: [mplex] Audio c0: buf= 4096 frame=000000 sector=00000000
    ++ WARN: [mplex] File size exceeded before split-point in video stream
    INFO: [mplex] Starting new output file...
    **ERROR: [mplex] Need to split output but there appears to be no %d in the filename pattern /Volumes/Backup HD/OCEAN_11.mpg

What does %d mean?

I tried to see if the Mp2 and m2v files were ok by running sizzle .1, It sent an error at around 87% complete.

I think it's time to rent the DVD and forget this process.

Mazjazz
    Quote Quote  
  16. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    It's odd that your attempt with sizzle failed after 87%. Did you run out of disk space again by any chance?
    Quote Quote  
  17. thoughton, I took your suggestion and got rid of stuff on my hard drive to make more room. This time Sizzle ran all the way through. I burned the DVD using Toast. The movie looked and sounded fine using DVD Player.
    Thanks, thoughton.

But, when I played the DVD on my external Toshiba DVD player, the movement was jumpy when people moved or walked. The sound was fine.

Is it possible that I burned the DVD too fast for my external player? I checked the setup and the only changes I could make for video was the aspect ratio and that didn't make any difference. Any ideas?

Mazjazz
    Quote Quote  
  18. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You might be onto something there. Your Mac's DVD Player will play a lot of things that set-top players choke on. I'd agree with your idea of trying to burn it at 1x, but be prepared for failure again (use a DVD-RW perhaps).

Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  19. I tried burning the DVD using 1X speed. The results were not any better, in fact, it looked worse. thoughton, why do you think DVD-RW would be better? Maybe I should have set something different for the video portion back on ffmpegx. I'm new to this and I don't understand all the technical aspects of this stuff.

Mazjazz
    Quote Quote  
  20. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I merely suggested a DVD-RW so you didn't waste another DVD-R.

So you've now got a DVD which plays back fine on your Mac, but has jumpy video on your set-top player? That's kinda odd. The only thing I'd suggest is that you try the disc on someone else's set-top player and see what happens.

May the force be with you
    Quote Quote  
  21. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Also, how bad is the jumpiness in the video? If you only get the jumpiness on a TV and it is quite minor it might be that your source mov was not interlaced. This could cause a problem, since as far as I know ffmpegX cannot convert non-interlaced input to interlaced output. I might be wrong though - Major if you're reading this ... .. chime in please! . Mediapipe can do it for sure, but it's much harder to use...
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by mazjazz
    I have a couple of .avi movies that I haven't been able to convert to dvd. I originally tried mpeg2works, sizzle and toast. Eventhough, I can play the movies using VLC but with QT and Toast, the movie shows a collage of colors with out sound.

Is there any hope for me to convert .avi movies to mpeg2 and burn it on DVD(s)? Thanks for any advice.

Mazjazz
    Use Main Concept MPEG Encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Master of my domain thoughton's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Short, succinct, and to the point. I like your style!

Unfortunately your advice is useless, since this is a Mac forum :P
    Quote Quote  
  24. Converting to DVD justy got easier with fastDVD settings in 0.9c, use it, you'll love the results, and it is MUCH faster than the other DVD settings in ffmpegX, trust me!
    I've been using it since Major released the last update!!! It ROCKS!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by thoughton
    Short, succinct, and to the point. I like your style!

Unfortunately your advice is useless, since this is a Mac forum :P
    Doh!
    Quote Quote