VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. In the Uk I pay £23 ($40) for a 0.5Mb connection, but I also have a work connection of 100Mb/s which I don't pay anything for!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    £39 a month for a Yahoo! BT deal.

1 meg download
    256k upload
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  3. £35 NTL 1Meg

1.1Mb Down
    256K Up

Bit expensive but I always get 135K a second download even at the most busiest times, ntl rocks!

I cant beleive some of theese american ISP's have a download limit, surely that violates the whole meaning of the word broadband.

I remember when ntl tried to impose a 1gb per day download limit, it caused a national uproar. they were promptly forced to remove the limit by trading standards.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    NTL promised me cable broadband when I moved into my flat in London in August 2001. Two and a half years on they are still quiet on the subject - I even had a call from them to see if I was intersted in their dial-up service! To think that they can't offer broadband in the largest city in the UK makes me want to laugh out loud every time I see one of their vans drive past with a broadband ad on the side of it.

NTHell
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  5. im on time warner but its set to run with AOl so i pay $44. a month, no idea as to a total of how fast i can dl/up. But so far i can tell that their doesnt appear to be any capping
    Quote Quote  
  6. $50.00 for 1.5Mb DSL here in my part of the world.
    Quote Quote  
  7. £27 for 576/256 from BT. OK i suppose.

Buddha says that, while he may show you the way, only you can truly save yourself, proving once and for all that he's a lazy, fat bastard.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by Sifaga
    3 Gb per month limit on my cable unlimited plan

Isn't that a contradiction in terms
    Quote Quote  
  9. "why is it so much cheaper in the US???"

things cost more when you are on an island.

my up to 1.5mb dsl is 35.95 per month, but they now offer 3mb dsl for $49month for a year, free equipment. Also get unlimited newsfeed of supernews, which is worth plenty.
    Quote Quote  
  10. £30 per month BTYahoo 512 down 256 up
    And they still won`t let me migrate my account. Have to admit though in 2.5 years with them it`s only been offline once (about 4 hours) and unlimited DL so maybe you pays for what you gets over here.
    Quote Quote  
  11. It's 49.49 Euro a month for 512k here in Ireland, 8GB cap, with free connection, modem, and Norton Internet Virusy Thingy 2004.

That's about US$60. Not too bad, taking into account that Ireland is one of the rippest-offest countries in the EU - a 330ml can of Coke here, for example, is usually around 1 Euro - about US$1.20!!
    Quote Quote  
  12. Good ol USA 44.95 per month. Roadrunner @ 3MB up/ 512 down...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    About US$13 a month for 750K down for the first year, about US$17.5 a month from the second year -- to the ISP. US$15.55 to the cable company. In Israel.
    Quote Quote  
  14. £21.99 for 512/256 from Onetel/plusnet.. No D/L limits OK I think.
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  15. UK Based

£22 for 512k
    Quote Quote  
  16. 512k service from Pipex Internet for £23.45 a month and no download caps.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Should be a few thousand others giving prices on this site: dslreports.com
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    $34.95 a month. Was $39.95 but Verizon lowered their price last year. 1.5mb
    Quote Quote  
  19. I pay my ISP $20 and the phone company $28 for 1.5down/876 up. The telco just recently cut the price from $30 and upped the bandwidth from 640/256.

I think cable is $40/month in my area, the downloads are faster, but the uploads are pretty freakin slow and they have a more odius AUP.
    Quote Quote  
  20. 50.00 from COX. They have great newsgroup service too for free.
    Quote Quote  
  21. $19.95/month... 3Mb/256kb on comcast. don't know why it's soo cheap but i'm not complaining. it's not promotional either since i've had it for over a year now. heck, i use to pay $50 for a lousy 1.5Mb/128kb adsl!
    Quote Quote  
  22. $40 cdn (about $30 US) for cable Download 5 mps, upload 640 kps

http://www.broadbandreports.com/archive
    has a report on speeds, Cogeco.ca is my provider
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Pay $43 Canadian (~ $32 U.S.) for 1.5mbs -- unlimited both ways through SHAW Cable.
    Quote Quote  
  24. £35.24 for 1024/256.....
    Thats
    $65 Us
    $85 Can
    $85 Aus
    Or 52 Euro's
    approx at todays rates...
    Not bothered by small problems...
    Spend a night alone with a mosquito
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know if I imagined it, but I think I read that 10meg lines are quite common in the far east.

Would a cable that hot double up as central heating?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by rhegedus
    I don't know if I imagined it, but I think I read that 10meg lines are quite common in the far east.

Would a cable that hot double up as central heating?
    100 Mbps ethernet never got warm, and digital cable is passing something like, hmm figure conservatively 200 channels with 2Mbs/channel = 400 Mbs. (Yeah, I know you were kidding.)

Appearantly South Korea is a broadband leader, both in terms of % households served and bandwidth/household.

Pricing for this stuff is hit by lots of factors. For one thing, telcos and cable companies have been regulated monopolies in most countries, and in places like the US, regulatory juristiction may be at the state or even the local level, so prices are not set by simple market forces since 1) there are regulations in place and 2) The regulations are in place because both cable and telcom are pretty much natural monopolies.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    "Here in Japan, ADSL is a firmly established technology, with the locally owned arm of Yahoo, called Yahoo BB, the market-leading net service provider.

This summer, Yahoo BB signed up its three millionth customer for services running at eight and 12Mbps.

Now, with the latest tranche of upgrades taking the maximum download speed to a blazing 26Mbps - remember, this is still over standard telephone lines, just like in the UK - one can be forgiven for wondering why BT and its competitors are languishing in the slow lane."

" All about 'liquid bandwidth' he says - and a new sub-£20 product won't hurt

BT CEO Ben Verwaayen has hit back at criticism that broadband speeds in the UK are too slow in comparison to some parts of Scandinavia and in particular countries in the Far East, saying what's important is specific services made possible by the right bandwidth at the right price.

The comments come on the day the telco has announced a sub-£20 per month 'basic' broadband offering, which it claims will still deliver 512Kbps speeds but will cap customer usage at 1GB of downloaded data per month.

Speaking at the UK Technology Partnering and Investment Forum in London this morning, Verwaayen revealed BT will eventually have a portfolio of broadband products at speeds going up to 1Mbps, 3Mbps and higher but said: "All services, with the exception of live TV, are possible with 1.5 to 2Mbps."

He noted that Softbank, one of the largest providers of broadband in Japan, supplies connections of up to 45Mbps but when he asked them what different things this allows end users to do, he was told: "Nothing but it's great marketing."

The 'sufficient speed' comments are bound to raise eyebrows. Many in the industry put ideal minimum bandwidth at around 8Mbps, allowing high-definition TV and other applications to run at once.

But Verwaayen went on to warn against "pestering ourselves" about megabit per second rates and instead "concentrate on services" and what he calls "liquid bandwidth". He said: "That's a much smarter way than talking about bandwidth megabytes."

Recent polling of silicon.com readers has shown 55 per cent define broadband as at least 512Kbps, which ties in with BT's definition. However, minorities - perhaps taking cues from rollouts elsewhere around the world - see the term meaning over 2Mbps (according to 8.3 per cent) or over 10Mbps (5 per cent).

Last week, after studies of the Japanese market, Brunel University's Dr Jyoti Choudrie said: "The UK broadband community needs to sit up and take note of the example Japan is setting."

But the debate is not about speed alone. One in four households in Japan has broadband, as opposed to fewer than one in 10 in the UK.

However, Verwaayen countered: "The spread in Japan [of broadband availability] is much greater. If you are rural, forget about it. I don't think that's a policy that would work over here." "

Eas, no he wasn't kidding. They use fibre to the curb, and that is gigabits, and well conditioned copper.And we (the US ) have thousands of miles of fibre buried, but not lit, because with our vendors limits, we don't gotta. Better it sits in the ground dark than light it and give the peons more. Go price a T1, 1.54mbps, same as cable, but symetric and guaranteed availability 24/7. A thou? Used to be that and more. What the traffic would bear.

That's enough for now, but you get the idea. 384, and 512, and 768 are not what's possible, it's what they want to screw bucks out of you for "Maybe we'll give you a little bit more next year, for just a few bucks extra."

I don't know if one of the articles above is the one that says Japan has one of the lowest pricing structures in the developed world.

Some of the Scandinavian countries also provide HIGH speed connection, not our picayune 3mbps tops, and lower prices.

Maybe that's why I don't recall seeing a post from Baldrick here, he doesn't wanna rub it in our faces that he gets more for less. Kinda like having a girlfriend instead of a wife. You get more for less. "We're married now. I don't have to do that anymore."

I hope the links work. I pasted then hit return at the end of the message box, no spaces, I hope, to not have to scroll this thread a mile as I have seen some do.

Links are selected from a search for- broadband Japan- .

Hope this isn't too long, don't wanna put any of you to sleep, or dialups waiting and waiting. I well remember that agony.

Cheers,

George

edit: the links broke when I split them. Gonna try a copy/paste. Didn't work. links were split into 10 or so limes in the reply message box, still don't want to make this page 4 feet long, so deleted them.

Again, just search broadband Japan and you should get my results, at least if you use Netscape.

Sorry to foist so much work off on you.
    Quote Quote  
  28. I can only get dialup.

But my cousin lives in an area that gets Fiber to all in the county....and only pays 35US a month for unlimited. I hate her.

I don't know specifically what her stats are on the up/down, but she says using the T3 setup at her work is like going from cable to dialup.

I really hate her.

Quote Quote