VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Hi all,
    I often burn movies and my own material to DVD+R or CDR and watch them on my stand-alone DVD Player.I wanted to know if there were any software which allow you to encript them to prevent others from making their own copies of these DVDRs/CDRs whilst ensuring that they stay compatible with standalone DVD players.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  3. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

it's been asked before, search first and people will not laugh at you.
    "If you find a way, sell it to the studios and get rich"
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    microwave 2 minutes on high should make them un-suitable for copy.

hopefully a workable solution will never be found
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You could always write 'PLEASE DO NOT COPY' on them with a big felt tip pen , and see if that works.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Check out the following site, it may get you started :

http://www.cdmediaworld.com/hardware/cdrom/cd_protections.shtml

I haven't used any thing from there, so I can't say either /or how they are, but hopefully it starts ya on the right path.

Sabro
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hehehe, the thief dont want the stuff he stole from being stolen. Too funny.
    yea, yea, I know, he could have made his own movie, or game or music, he is soo good that he can do all that and not be smart enough to know that his stuff cant be copy protected. cmon.....
    Quote Quote  
  8. Come on give the guy a break. Im in the same boat. I produce wedding videos for people. It kind of gets my goat when I spend hours filming, editing, encoding, authoring then burning for someone to come along and copy in 15 or 30 minutes (depending on whether its one or two discs).
    The soloution for me was supply only VHS copies as part of the package if someone wants a dvd it costs £70 for the first copy then only £15 for each set of extra discs (usually 2) all fully packaged and discs printed with full colour inlay sleeve. If someone is that tight then they deserve to have problems with skipping jumping and downright poor media problems(not everyone gets their info from here). Its a little off track but I had someone return a VHS copy to me about 6 years ago saying that it was the worst quality video they had ever seen, horrified I kindly asked if I could have it back and said I would refund there money and make a new copy for free. When the woman returned it I could tell it was not one of mine, turns out the groom had linked up two vcr,s and had a free for all with cheap tapes and bad vcr,s. He told all the guests he bought a copy for everyone at the wedding.May have turned out alright in the end but that kind of thing does my business and reputation no good at all. I now know I cant realisticly copy protect my stuff but it doesnt make me stop wanting too.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just charge them for the filming and editing and ONE copy and make
    that sufficient to pay yourself . Anybody wants more copies is a whole different business and charge them for that or let them do it.

Why is this so hard to figure out ?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I make legal dvd`s for people of whatever they want and i dont give a crap if they make a billion copies as long as i get paid.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have read many posts on this subject. I do as you quoted charge a price for filming and editing with two copies on vhs. With DVDs its a little more involved as you already know that is why I charge acordingly for the setup and first copy and so little for the extra copies. this is the fine balance that keeps both me and my customers happy. I also think the customer is getting a very good deal yet it also help stop people making inferior copies and ruining my long and hard won reputation.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You're missing the point. IF someone can make a COPY then why cant they just make the orig themselves, seems logical to me and quite legal. If walgreens developes my film, I dont think they have a leg to stand on and cry if i scan these a thousand times, or even print out a million copies. If its legal in the first place, its legal in the second place. If it aint legal in the second place, then it sure aint legal in the first place.
    Quote Quote  
  13. jaxxboss you miss my point completely I dont mind someone copying my discs but I do mind someone making me or my company look like shit. At £15 for two fully printed discs in a box with a personalised cover, add in 30 mins to burn and I make bugger all. I want as many people to see my work (thats how I get most of my business) as possible but how I produce it not some 13 year old with a new computer,nero, shitty discs and paper sleeves.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    monster I do see your point. If they were running around town screaming how you made crappy videos and were showing their reproduced versions and claiming they came from you, then yes, You have a very valid point. If they just decided to make a bunch of copies and spread them around then thats a whole other story and quite ok in my book. You may not like it as you were the one that gave birth to the orig and that is understandable, but ya gotta let go of the kids when they turn 18. So just consider the moment you hand over the dvd to the client, that dvd is now 18 years of age.
    If your clients only want ONE video from you, then u can always say no. Have a minimum and if they dont like it then they can go elsewhere.
    My point is that if they can make a copy of a video, then what they all really want is someone to film an event and do the transfer to a pc.
    Quote Quote  
  15. LOL

Yeah I should really let them go, they are all grown up.

Just one point.
    Most people cant produce what I can from the filming editing audio titling and final output. I usualy put about 50-55 hours into each wedding (not including DVD) I would hate for all that hard work to be ruined by someone who didnt really give a damn about my business or reputation. This need not be the couple themseves but could be an "expert" uncle or grandad with little knowlege or understandind like we have built through places like this site and the good ole coastersville express. I do really want everone to see my work but as it should be not a bad disc or VHS copy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    HTML no worky on here.
    u make the video, they can copy crappy all they want.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Who owns the copyright? The wedding couple or the wedding video producer?

Don't get my started on copyright. I was in a band years ago & some bloke in England threw one of our songs up on his website as an mp3 download. We couldn't have cared less - in fact, great! Free advertising! Then this bloke got busted & local authorities forced him to close down. I caught wind of this and sent a highly abusive email to the bastards responsible, threatening legal action etc (all a bluff, of course). Anyhow...the site's still closed down. Looks like any moralistic yuppie out there can just hijack the copyright of someone else's art!?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey Monster

did that lady really believe that that was the original recording or was she just fishing for a free better copy ?

i wouldve said that if its not on my tape with my label on it then its a copy.

giving her a free copy was probably good business
    Quote Quote  
  19. No mistake about thinking it was a copy, it came with a photocopied sleeve 3hr cheap domestic tape no labels and a cheap box. She really thought it was ours to the point she had reported us the the IOV (institute of videography) a body of back slapping self congratulating harumphing video makers. Ive never joined as I dont see the point of self praise.
    Anyway we did get the groom to admit to what he had done and he apologised and ordered 38 copies on VHS (I think out of embarasment). This amounted to a total of £228 income.
    After tapes £57, boxes £23, photo paper £25, one full set of cartridges £32, labels etc. Total profit was about £60 for 38 copies.
    This equates to about £7.50 an hour. I could earn that as a wage slave without investing over £25000 in equipment.
    What Im trying to say is Im not greedy and its not always about the money, I love what I do and dont want anyone to ruin it to save a few quid.
    Quote Quote  
  20. I believe Ulead's DVD workshop 2 (released last month) offers encyption.
    It will slow them down but not stop them.

Another option is to watermark your prototype video prior to burning and sharing with your customer. I like the idea of a minimum buy after the proof has been approved by your customer.
    -----------------------------------------------------

There is a reason why God gave us one mouth and two ears!!!
    Quote Quote  
  21. Try guilt. Similar to the way shareware works, put a guilt screen on there. Explain what copies cost and how to go about getting them from you. You can even personalize each DVD with a 10 second clip with the name and address of the owner on it.

"This DVD belongs to..."

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  22. One way is to take the RIAA's approach and make a crappy disk, sell it for 10 times its actual worth and then force the rest of the world to buy it or you'll sue them attitude.
    Quote Quote  
  23. dvdxcopy makes it so you can't copy a disk sort of. should fool most people.

kinda a old topic, i guess you didnt search first?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by awlchu
    I believe Ulead's DVD workshop 2 (released last month) offers encyption.
    You CAN NOT encrypt a DVDr.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Be professional in the entire effort. Do a professional encode, a professional label and a professional presentation. Most people will resort to copying the disk, but few will strive to replicate all (too much work).
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26° 14' 10.16"N -- 80° 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bugster
    Originally Posted by awlchu
    ... and remain compliant to the DVD specs (but you CAN encrypt a DVD-R).
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote  
  27. With things like DVD Shrink around - forget copy protection.

The only way I keep my wedding video's from being copied is to find out beforehand how many copies are required and painlessly working it into my production cost.

And then I produce only on DVD - If you want VHS you pay extra. (I have watched that video 55+ hours in the editing, now I have to watch it again dumped onto tape?!?!?)

And I make sure they know they get quality packaging, keep a few photocopies of a nonexistant competitor around to make the potential pirate sullen...
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by SLK001
    OK, lets clarify this. You CAN NOT use CSS encryption on a DVD-Video recorded on any sort of recordable DVD-Media. No matter what any application may claim.

You CAN encrypt the data in any way you like, but it will then not play on any standalone DVD player.
    Quote Quote  
  29. If you are looking for a feasable commercial product--not practical.

If you are making a dvd that you are selling for a premium, do what I do: I insert the clients name and address at the begginning and the end. In between the fade in/fade out I repeat the same information--not visible to the naked eye when playing in real time. I place the same information on a "frame" or two throughout the work. I inform the client of this and show them. When asked why I do this, I tell the client in case they lose the disc the interested party will find the disc and contact you.

I actually had one person say, "This makes it difficult to copy, I do not want my name and address all over the internet and on ebay."
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SLK001
    OK, lets clarify this. You CAN NOT use CSS encryption on a DVD-Video recorded on any sort of recordable DVD-Media. No matter what any application may claim.

You CAN encrypt the data in any way you like, but it will then not play on any standalone DVD player.
    Correct. I just meant to say that if the data was really that important to protect, there are ways to do it - but in doing so, you stray widely from the DVD-Video specs.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    Quote Quote