VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Has anyone tried these 4x DVD-R yet? I'm wondering how they print in addition to how they burn/read. They look to be a reasonable alternative to the BeAll.

http://meritline.com/prime-4x-dvd-r-inkjet-hub-printable-blank-media-dvdr.html
    Quote Quote  
  2. I seen these at Meritline too.. no one has bit the bullet and tried them?

Probably same mix results as BeAll's. Maybe I get a 25 pack to test and report back.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I ordered .. will let you know after I recieve.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I broke down and ordered some yesterday, also. I'll give my opinion of them when I get a chance to try them.
    Quote Quote  
  5. I called yesterday and apparently they neglected to update their site .. meritline.com to inidcate that the Prime's were on backorder! Long story short . .they got them in Friday morning and will now ship. I do not wish their customer service department (or lack of it) upon anyone though
    Quote Quote  
  6. I got my 25pk on Friday. Just burnt my first one. I haven't had a chance to play it yet other than on the computer. The first attempt at printing resulted in a reasonable image but it was slightly beaded. Feels slightly tacky too but not as bad as the BeAll. The image I used had a lot of white though, so it wasn't a great test.

So far no worse than the BeAlls, maybe better but I'll have to try a few more to be sure.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Are they "whiter" than the BeAll's? What kind of identifying writing is there (if any) around the hub? The one thing I like about BeAll is the very smooth surface. How do these compare?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by quasar1963
    Are they "whiter" than the BeAll's? What kind of identifying writing is there (if any) around the hub? The one thing I like about BeAll is the very smooth surface. How do these compare?
    The consensus at my house is that the Prime are whiter. There is no writing around the hub, unlike the BeAll. The surface seems as smooth as the BeAlls to me.

BTW the movie played just fine in my Toshiba DVD. I used a Pioneer DVR-105 to burn them.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I have burned 2 discs so far: (disc 1) Burned @ 2x right to the end and NO errors, (disc 2) Burned @ 4x right to the end and there were a few errors at the end of the disc. However, I had been running another program and clicking around the internet during the 4x burn which brought the buffer down and could be a reason for the errors.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I use the printable Riteks from here: $57.50 compared to the Prime at $52.40 (shipping at shop4tech is free).

http://www.shop4tech.com/user.htm?go=view_cata&order=orderid&cata=1&s_cata=88&s_scata=317&page=1

Great burning results as I have always with my Pioneer on the RitekG04 and also great printing results with my modded Lexmark Z11 thanks to The Village Idiot!

Kprobe results are comparable to my matte silver RITEKG04. PI PO Sum 8 ECC: PI ~ 40 -50, PO ~8. No problems at all at the outer edges. I can post a graph if someone is interested.

Vid
    Quote Quote  
  11. Cooper - The thread is about PRIME DVD-R, not Ritek or a comparison of them. We all know Ritek is good quality but they do not have a "hub" printable yet. So this thread is specific to PRIME media and people's findings.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I received a 25 pack of these yesterday to use with my new Epson R200.

These are my first printable DVDs, and I am impressed by the print quality, but I don't really have any way to compare yet if the print quality is better or worse than others.

I burned my two discs so far on my BTC 1008 drive, and they only burned at 2x. Both worked fine and play back with no problems on my AMW V101 player (cheapo $30 player from Circuit City that plays absolutely EVERYTHING).

I am going to try on my Pioneer 105 drive tonight to see if they record and play back well at 4x.

I have been planning to go with DVD-R printables because the DVD player in our new Minivan (Nissan Quest) could play back everything except DVD+R discs. But I updated my firmware on the BTC drive and can now do Bitsetting for +Rs - which play back fine in the Van.

So, I may switch to +R recordables anyway.

I'll post more results later as I try them out more. I'll see if I can do any Scans as well.

Ted
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a quick follow up... they burn great at 4x on my Pioneer 105.

Play back all the way to the end on my set-top player with no problems whatsoever.

Media code shows as GSC002 - which does not have very good feedback so far in the media reviews, but I'm 4 for 4 with no problems so far (2 at 2X on BTC1008 and 2 at 4X on Pioneer 105)
    Quote Quote