VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    SONY UNVEILS VERSION 5.0 OF VEGAS SOFTWARE

PARK RIDGE, N.J., March 2, 2004 - Sony will introduce version 5.0 of its Vegas software, the latest upgrade to its award-winning, state-of-the-art video and audio non-linear editor, at NAB in Las Vegas next month.

"This version will establish Vegas as the premier application for professional media production," said Bob Ott, vice president of Sony Electronics' Broadcast and Production Systems Division.

The latest version of the Vegas software increases its functionality with even more sophisticated features, including 3D planar motion, film-style 5.1 surround panning, external control surface support, Loops for ACID ™ "loop property" recognition, customizable keyboard mapping, real-time event reverse, network rendering, Sony DSR-DU1 and DSR-DR1000 disc recorder support, J-H3 HDCAM player support and much more.

Vegas software provides a broad range of non-linear video and audio editing applications with advanced real-time A/V production across unlimited tracks and offers powerful audio mixing, video compositing, color correction, titling, streaming media creation, surround sound production and an extensive array of additional professional features.

Sony is also announcing the release of its new Vegas+DVD Production Suite, which includes Vegas 5, a Dolby® Laboratory-certified multichannel AC-3 encoder, and an upgraded version of its DVD Architect authoring and production software.

New features in the DVD Architect 2 software include: subtitle and alternate audio track support, enhanced disk optimization tools, external monitor previews, support for 24P DVD encoding and much more.

"Vegas software is already an overwhelming favorite among digital video and audio professionals," said Ott. "The software's enhanced capabilities in the Vegas 5.0 version and its integration into the Sony professional production workflow will now make it the most comprehensive software package available for professional video, audio and DVD production."
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    New features in the DVD Architect 2 software include: subtitle and alternate audio track support,
    Is it me, or did they just lock up the market?
    Fight spammers ghetto kung-fu style! Join the Unsolicited Commandos! or the Spam Vampires!
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by haloblack
    New features in the DVD Architect 2 software include: subtitle and alternate audio track support,
    DVD-Lab Pro will be offering the same (less builtin AC3 encoder) real soon....
    -----------------------------------------------------

There is a reason why God gave us one mouth and two ears!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by haloblack
    That is the Sony way. If you want to get to the top, you have to throw a lot of product at people and hope it starts to stick. They have the old "Avid was first, and everyone uses it" mentality to break, and a lot of people just can't be bothered to adapt to newer products, especially when they are priced less than the "golden" Avid machines.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How much $ will I have to mug my bank manager for?
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently, Sony has since retracted the press release and are deep in official denial mode. I'm getting the distinct impression that the honeymoon is now officially over for Sony and loyal customers of Sonic Foundry products...
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by MJPollard
    ... I'm getting the distinct impression that the honeymoon is now officially over for Sony and loyal customers of Sonic Foundry products...
    Huh? What did I miss? Can you explain the honeymoon thing?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lgh529
    ... I'm getting the distinct impression that the honeymoon is now officially over for Sony and loyal customers of Sonic Foundry products...
    Basically, former customers of Sonic Foundry's products were giving Sony Multimedia Products the benefit of the doubt as to not turning into a nameless, faceless, don't-give-a-crap-about-our-loyal-customers entity like so many others have after an acquisition. For a while, it looked like that was the case, but from what I've been observing... well, let me just quote a famous politician: "I knew Sonic Foundry, and Mr. Sony, you're no Sonic Foundry."
    Don't sweat the petty things, just pet the sweaty things.
    Quote Quote  
  9. how do you retract a press release? (e.g. is that like - members of the jury, pls. ignore that last comment from the witness...)
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lgh529
    ... I'm getting the distinct impression that the honeymoon is now officially over for Sony and loyal customers of Sonic Foundry products... :(
    Basically, former customers of Sonic Foundry's products were giving Sony Multimedia Products the benefit of the doubt as to not turning into a nameless, faceless, don't-give-a-crap-about-our-loyal-customers entity like so many others have after an acquisition. For a while, it looked like that was the case, but from what I've been observing... well, let me just quote a famous politician: "I knew Sonic Foundry, and Mr. Sony, you're no Sonic Foundry." :(
    based on personal experiance -- i don't believe that to be true ..

sony marketing just jumped the gun OR it was a cleaver marketing ploy (prob. the case) .. but whatever, they pulled the release , but not before i copied it ... non the less, they can't be to worried about it, as its re-printed on thier own forum and being discused there.. Some further info WAS leaked by a beta tester also today on DMM forums which is now removed .
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Maybe they saw what HAPPENED to PREMIERE PRO BJ and got nervous?
    PREMIERE PRO is a very buggy release unless you build a system from scratch for it...Maybe there were chunks of CODE needing revision?

any insight ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    reports from many beta testers are that it is as stable as 4 (which is a legend for stability) .. i'm sure some stuff might change ... but since they are rolling this out at NAB , in front of a million people , and sony has thir name on it .. its pretty safe bet ...

they are keeping pretty closed mouth about it though ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How often does Sony roll out a broadcast oriented product that doesn't work? I've seen them get badly beaten by competitors because they were not ready to put their name on the product and insure that it will work. One such example is their digital media library and playback system, meant to replace the Betacart system. Many companies beat them by years because they did not have a system that worked as well as the trusty Betacart.
    Hope is the trap the world sets for you every night when you go to sleep and the only reason you have to get up in the morning is the hope that this day, things will get better... But they never do, do they?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess the press release is back, I just got an announcement via e-mail .

Be among the first to get your hands on Vegas 5 Software!

Get a first look at the powerful new versions of Vegas® and DVD Architect™ software and their extensive feature sets at NAB 2004, April 17 - 22 in Las Vegas, Nevada.

Sony will be holding the following free hands-on seminars demonstrating its comprehensive suite of media creation products. With an emphasis on Vegas 5 and DVD Architect 2 software's extensive new capabilities, you're sure to find something of interest in these sessions regardless of your level of expertise:
    Monday-Wednesday (April 19-21)
    Vegas 5 Software Essentials
    9:00 a.m.
    9:45 a.m.
    ACID Pro and Sound Forge Software for Video and Film
    10:00 a.m.
    10:45 a.m.
    DVD Authoring with DVD Architect 2 Software
    11:00 a.m.
    11:45 a.m.
    Vegas 5 Software Advanced Techniques
    12:00 p.m.
    1:00 p.m.
    2:00 p.m.
    2:45 p.m.
    3:00 p.m.
    3:45 p.m.
    4:00 p.m.
    4:45 p.m.
    5:00 p.m.
    6:00 p.m.
    Thursday (April 22)
    9:00 a.m.
    9:45 a.m.
    10:00 a.m.
    10:45 a.m.
    11:00 a.m.
    11:45 a.m.
    1:00 p.m.
    1:45 p.m.
    2:00 p.m.
    2:45 p.m.
    3:00 p.m.
    4:00 p.m.
    Designed for people who are new to Vegas software, this hands-on seminar covers the essential tools and techniques that make Vegas 5 software a top choice among video and audio professionals. Learn what all the excitement is about, and discover how powerful and efficient it is to create professional productions on your computer with this award-winning application.

Designed for the experienced Vegas user, this hands-on seminar explores advanced tools and techniques including the ground-breaking new features of Vegas 5 software. Learn how this application has once again raised the bar for digital video and audio editing applications.

This hands-on seminar explores using Sound Forge® software to sweeten and enhance audio for video, and using ACID® Pro software to create royalty-free professional scores. Learn how the right soundtrack can truly differentiate your project and raise it to the next level.

This hands-on seminar covers the DVD authoring process, the powerful and exciting new tools and techniques available in DVD Architect 2 and its seamless integration with the Vegas 5 workflow.

Led by Gary Rebholz and Michael Bryant of Sony Media Software, these seminars will demonstrate how our tools can enable you to create professional video and audio with more control, efficiency, and productivity than ever before.

Class space is limited — first come, first served. Plan to arrive early. Classes will be held every day of NAB in rooms S233-9 and S233-10, across from the Sony booth (booth number SU11051).

Vegas 5 software will change the way you work with video and audio. Make sure you attend these sessions at NAB!

For technical support or product questions visit http://www.custcenter.com

Sony Media Software
    1617 Sherman Ave.
    Madison, Wisconsin 53704
    http://www.sony.com/mediasoftware
    Customer Service and Sales: 1.800.577.6642
    Is anyone going to NAB? I will have to miss it this year
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Have you got a link to that? I can't find it on the Sony site.
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it was a email
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, but I'd have thought that Sony also wanted it known to non-email recipients too. Ho hum
    Regards,

Rob
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  19. so whats the release date
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    this week or next
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Kinda pricey for the upgrade but what ticks me is they finally have end actions to DVD Architect , something custoemrs have been screaming for and is standard on every other software pakcage...Now if you want it you have to pay for it....bastages !!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    $199 for a upgrade which includes:
    Vegas 5 + DVDA 2 +borris graffiti + magic bullet seems pretty cheap to me ..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the 199 doesn't include the rest....Only vegas 5.

I believe it is 249 for Vegas 5 plus DVDA 2 plus boris.

still though, I looked at a premier upgrade...whew....Like buying a whole new product ...Though I like premier pro's new interface look even though I dont like premier....

I would like to get that end action feature for DVDA 2.0 though. I like DVDA very much , but the fact that when I am done, it wont go from clip to clip is horrendous........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    n0 -- $199 includes everything , i paid for it this morning in fact ..

it also includes 2 addtion render lic 's ... for network rendering -- of mpeg or anything ... i got 3 dual systems rendering away right now on a film in HD..

here is the upgrade link http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/products/showproduct.asp?PID=912&SPID=272&keycode=6377
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Then that is pretty good...Don't know if I have the need right now...I always look in terms of BUSINESS NEED> If I go by WANT, I go BROKE...LOL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and install Windows 2000. I actually got the upgrade about 3 months ago, but have never installed it - just too busy and didn't want to screw any video files up that I have already captured.

I knew this was coming too since Sound Forge v7 also requires Windows 2K or higher and so I've had it running on my laptop.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vegas 5 requires winXP and NET 1.1 .. it only came out this morning in fact
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Where is that at? On This page It says Win 2k or win XP?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hmm yes --- it does say both , so go with it .. sorry

I was reading someone bitching on the sony forums about it NOT supporting win2k this morning -- so just assumed they knew what they were complaining about ..
    Quote Quote