VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does DVD Architect 2 support half-d1 yet, or does it still insist on re-encoding everything? I looked at the new version notes and didn't see it mentioned.
    Fight spammers ghetto kung-fu style! Join the Unsolicited Commandos! or the Spam Vampires!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    its allowed now --

Aspect ratio and frame resolution:
    Frame rate: 29.97 fps or 23.976 fps + 2-3 pulldown
    Maximum GOP (group of pictures): 36
    Maximum bit rate: 9.8 Mbps
    No low delay
    Aspect Ratio Frame Size
    4:3 720x480
    4:3 704x480
    4:3 352x480
    4:3 352x420
    16:9 720x480
    16:9 704x480

Aspect ratio and frame resolution:
    Frame rate: 25 fps
    Maximum GOP (group of pictures): 30
    Maximum bit rate: 9.8 Mbps
    No low delay
    Aspect Ratio Frame Size
    4:3 720x576
    4:3 704x576
    4:3 352x576
    4:3 352x288
    16:9 720x576
    16:9 704x576
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  3. From what I can tell, the new version still doesn't feature "smart rendering" of mpeg material. Did I miss it somewhere?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    nope -- it re-renders everything , smart rendering is in the standalone though and you could frame serve to it (except for DV and YUV sony codec- which have smart rendering) .

sony also includes a new YUV codec which is really fast low compression codec , it is useable outside vegas.

Vegas 5 also lists www.vcdhelp.com in thier help file as THE place to go for further mpeg info and getting codecs ..

MPEG-2 files require an MPEG-2 decoder in order to view them in Windows Media Player and other applications. The Windows operating system does not include an MPEG-2 decoder, but you can download MPEG-2 decoders at www.vcdhelp.com. Sony Pictures Digital does not endorse or support any 3rd- party MPEG-2 decoders.
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lgh529
    I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and install Windows 2000. I actually got the upgrade about 3 months ago, but have never installed it - just too busy and didn't want to screw any video files up that I have already captured.

I knew this was coming too since Sound Forge v7 also requires Windows 2K or higher and so I've had it running on my laptop.
    lgh- why is it you're still running 98? I don't see how upgrading your OS would corrupt your vid files? With all the problems with 98 (memory leaks, blue screens of death) I could not wait to get onto 2000 and XP. I know that they were more of a resource hog when they came out, but with the new pc's and processors, OS resources are a thing of the past,, that's of course until XP's service pack 2 comes out and blows everything up!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ordered my copy of Vegas+DVD. I can't wait to play with all the toys in it!!!!
    3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 105820974944
    Quote Quote  
  7. why does it needs NET 1.1 ?????? i dont wont that on my computer....its always messing something up
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by mol3000
    why does it needs NET 1.1 ?????? i dont wont that on my computer....its always messing something up
    Yeah, I know what you mean. I've checked Microsoft's site and found an explanation of what it does for the developer (most of which I really didn't understand). I seems to be more for network deployment and "upgradability" (I'm not sure that's even a word ". I've deliberately avoided putting it on my computer, but, from what I've read, Vegas will be worth it. Hope it doesn't bring my computer to it's knees (fingers crossed).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    many many programs are written on the NET framework now .. its pretty common , even some drivers are (matrox)..

ive had it installed for ages and it really doesnt do anything i can see ..

vegas checks for it on installation but you can remove it after and vegas will still work - but no scripting support ..
    Quote Quote  
  10. DAM OH WELL..... another question is has anyone seen a big disadvantage or bugs in the new vegas 5????? i am gonna be editting a lot of mpeg 2 video and just want to know before i put it on my computer
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there are some bugs , yes ..... nothing related to stability ...

see the sony forum for a list (not many)
    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/forums/default.asp
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    there are some bugs , yes ..... nothing related to stability ...

see the sony forum for a list (not many)
    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/forums/default.asp
    Thanks for the link!! You're right, nothing Earth-shattering there. I run a lot of "mainstream" programs for a living (AutoCAD, Word, Excel, etc.), and one thing I've learned - you can give the same program to five of us and we will each have a different set of gripes. When you consider the millions of lines of code in a program, it still amazes me that these things work at all. I love computers!!! (Started with the Commodore Vic20 and never looked back). Now with the internet and great sites like Videohelp, the world is at our fingertips (literally).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pbemer
    lgh- why is it you're still running 98? I don't see how upgrading your OS would corrupt your vid files? With all the problems with 98 (memory leaks, blue screens of death) I could not wait to get onto 2000 and XP. I know that they were more of a resource hog when they came out, but with the new pc's and processors, OS resources are a thing of the past,, that's of course until XP's service pack 2 comes out and blows everything up!
    Sorry about the delay in response. I haven't had any problems with win98 so far and just hadn't had the time. Like I said, I actually purchased a win2K lincence about 3 months ago. It was just a matter of having the time to upgrade.

I'm proud to say that I did my upgrade and got Vegas 5 installed, and everything seems to be working fine. I haven't had any problems so far.

My guess on the net 1.1 was the multiple networked rendering computers capability. Is that part of it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    nope -- it re-renders everything , smart rendering is in the standalone though
    .........Hmmmm..... do you mean that it'll re-render already compliant MPEG2 files, even if the user specify the project settings the same as the imported files settings ???

Wouldn't it realize that the settings of the imported media are the same of the project settings and smart render it ?

I think I'd stick to Media Studio Pro or PP with the MPEG2 plug-in...thoughts ?

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i dont have to worry about re-rendering mpeg with vegas , on the occasion i do , i convert it back to avi first before importing ..

PP with plugin , if you are doing a lot of mpeg editing , sounds like a good idea ...

BUT

i hear a rumour that vegas will also get that mpeg2 plug in .. i have no proof of that though ..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i dont have to worry about re-rendering mpeg with vegas , on the occasion i do , i convert it back to avi first before importing ..

PP with plugin , if you are doing a lot of mpeg editing , sounds like a good idea ...

BUT

i hear a rumour that vegas will also get that mpeg2 plug in .. i have no proof of that though ..
    Don't you have a lossy process when you convert MPEG2 back to AVI ?
    How do you do that ?
    In Vegas ?
    What codec ?

It seems a major limitation to do not have smart render on such a "high end" video editor...
    Any ideas when a new version will become alive with the MC plug in ?

BJ, what's your definitive choice for video editing ? PP ? Vegas ?

Thanks,

Zetti
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My guess on the net 1.1 was the multiple networked rendering computers capability. Is that part of it?
    part of it -- along with scripting support , ".NET" doesnt really mean "net" as in network type of net ... its just a dumb name MS came up with ...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zetti

BUT

Don't you have a lossy process when you convert MPEG2 back to AVI ?
    How do you do that ?
    In Vegas ?
    What codec ?

It seems a major limitation to do not have smart render on such a "high end" video editor...
    Any ideas when a new version will become alive with the MC plug in ?

BJ, what's your definitive choice for video editing ? PP ? Vegas ?

Thanks,

Zetti
    convert mpeg2 -> v-dubmod using huffyuv or uncompressed or using avsynth

smart render not on ANY real high end NLE's (AVID or Speedrazor for example)

choice -> Vegas , hands down

when new version? --> no idea, even if i did know i couldn't say ...
    Quote Quote  
  19. just wondering - do the boris grafitti / magic bullet plugin to vegas or only run standalone?
    "As you ramble on through life, brother, whatever be your goal - keep your eye upon the doughnut and not upon the hole."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    magic bullet is a plugin to vegas

boris is standalone LE with fairly inexpensive offer to upgrade it to a full plugin and version
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Zetti
    nope -- it re-renders everything , smart rendering is in the standalone though
    .........Hmmmm..... do you mean that it'll re-render already compliant MPEG2 files, even if the user specify the project settings the same as the imported files settings ???

Wouldn't it realize that the settings of the imported media are the same of the project settings and smart render it ?

I think I'd stick to Media Studio Pro or PP with the MPEG2 plug-in...thoughts ?

Zetti
    "Fit To Disc Compression
    Automatically adjust the project video bit rate to fit your DVD project onto 4.7 GB DVD media. Only video and audio that requires additional recompression will be adjusted. If a project cannot fit on a disc, DVD Architect software lets you modify settings on a file-by-file basis to ensure proper size. "

I'm lost - doesn't this mean it won't re-encode unless needed?
    Quote Quote  
  22. $199 for a upgrade which includes:
    Vegas 5 + DVDA 2 +borris graffiti + magic bullet seems pretty cheap to me ..
    Yep, good deal. I got my upgrade in via UPS yesterday. Pretty fast delivery seeing on I ordered the upgrade only four days before.
    Geronimo
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    How are you getting it for 199.00 ? I have checked and checked and the VEGAS + DVD is 249 for the upgrade. Is it because of an email from sony ? I had one but lost it...HELP...As I would upgrade for 199

Thanks in advance......
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by arcorob
    How are you getting it for 199.00 ? I have checked and checked and the VEGAS + DVD is 249 for the upgrade. Is it because of an email from sony ? I had one but lost it...HELP...As I would upgrade for 199

Thanks in advance......
    http://www.custcenter.com/cgi-bin/sonypictures.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1047
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi ..yes, I see it says that but if you click it, it takes you to a general page. You click upgrade and the upgrade selections for that are 249.00
    Unless when you actually order it changes ...Can you tell me if it does ?

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for the link !!! I will use that tonight...I THINK for what I do it is worth the upgrade......Especially with the Redgiant software and such.

Again my thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Okay, now the 199.00 price is 249 again........ARGGGG
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    http://mediasoftware.sonypictures.com/shopping/item.asp?pid=272

still 199$

call customeer service if there is a problem or they charge you full pop on your CC , they will give you a refund (as per sony said this)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No, I found the 199...Now I have a different problem.

They want my SERIAL number which I don't have . I have my product id key but I guess thats not the same. Supposed to be with my original disks which I dont have ...why the heck isn't it stored on my computer ?? ARGGGG...so I wrote support but I know they wont help.

I purchased at a trade show. Hey, does yours start with H8 ??? Just curious ..I would swear thats my number but supposedly it isn't

Again my thanks....I am screwed...Never thought I would need the disks (i keep backups of the software on hard drive)

argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg g
    Quote Quote