VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have a wintv Go card running from my digital satellite box via composite
    and use winDVR 3 to capture with. I only capture in SVCD or DVD Mpeg2 and can get reasonable HQ results. The problem is with either fast action or fast camera panning, It`s as though the card is not fast enough to keep up with what`s happening on screen. At first I though it may be an interlacing problem, but there are no interlacing lines on the captured video. I still read through some posts concerning this but there is no setting (that I can find) in winDVR for deinterlacing and if I run the capture through TMPGEnc using the deinterlace settings it makes no difference, so I am assuming it`s the card that is the problem. My system is :-
    AMD XP2400
    1024Mb PC2100 DDR Ram
    Gigabyte GA-7vaxp board
    64Mb NVidia graphics card
    80Gig 7200rpm HD

I believe this is a high enough spec machine for that not to be at fault.
    If it is the card, then I am looking for recommendations. I don`t want to go to ATI and I would prefer a PCI card. The hauppauge wintv PVR 250/350 cards seem to get good reports but I am reading people with AMD chips having problems with them. I wouldn`t go as far as to say money is no object, but I don`t mind spending £100-£150 if this will cure the problem. Any ideas gratefully recieved.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    WinDVR sucks. It cannot interlace. That's your problem.

Get another program (PowerVCR II with hack, or MainConcept 1.4 with fingers crossed for PCI).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  3. What exactly is the problem you're having? You say "It's as though the card is not fast enough to keep up with what's happening on screen", what exactly does it do or not do to give you that impression?

What bitrate/resolution do you use to encode your video? Do you encode the video interlaced? Have you tried burning that video to a DVD, and does it show that on your TV?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I didn`t go for powerVCR mainly because I personally don`t like powerDVD. I always got on better with winDVD so went winDVR for that reason, but I will give it a try.

As for what is exactly happening, it`s a little hard to explain fully but most noticable on a fast camera pan across a scene. As the camera pans the image becomes slightly (only very slightly) blurred and as the camera stops the pan it takes a couple of frames for the image to become "settled". It does happen when burned and played on stand alone and is hardly noticeable, but it`s there.
    Quote Quote