VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. [Feature Request]

Is it possible to include an option to decode to m2v and AC3 streams for those occasions when you might want to utilise the individual streams?

I know other programs like OsEX/extractor et al are available but a one step option like macthe ripper which doesn't need to play the dvd would be cool...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ricephoto
    I can play the VIDEO_TS folder from the computer and I can also load the folder back onto the computer and play it, I just can't play it directly from the burned disc. I guess nobody else has run into this.
    Yep, check this out. But he never posted back about a solution, if he ever found one. Really strange. Some others have experienced the same, go here and search for Permitted. You don't list your computer's profile, makes it kinda hard to narrow things down. I didn't see an obvious answer anywhere, unless you happen to be using DVD+R media.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Originally Posted by TugBoat
    You don't list your computer's profile, makes it kinda hard to narrow things down. I didn't see an obvious answer anywhere, unless you happen to be using DVD+R media.
    Actually, I have been using + media. Is there a deal with that? Forgive my ignorance, I'm new to this. Like I said, VLC works playing from the discs.

Here's the full hardware and software rundown.

400mHz G4 (Gigabit Ethernet)
    OS 10.3.2
    Toast Titanuim 6.0.3
    DVDBackup 1.3
    MTR 1.5.3
    OsEX 0.0110a1
    Pioneer 106D w/firmware 1.07
    DVD Player 4.0

Most of the discs were extracted with DVDBackup, until I discovered MTR (great app) and all since then have been MTR. OsEX was just for a couple titles DVDBackup couldn't decode.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, I have been using + media. Is there a deal with that?
    Just that DVD+R media will behave just as you describe. You can burn to it with toast, but the Mac won't play from it...yet. Just do a search on this forum for Permitted. Hopefully Apple will fix that soon 8)
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    as it will be dependant on updates to our website, which we don't have direct posting access to, and doesn't get updated very often, as you can see by the version number available there.
    Hey WW, as I have said before, I will be happy to host any small files for download from my .Mac page that way everyone can find everything they need in one place. I can set it to allow you to make uploads when you have a new version if that helps you out.

I also would like to see an eject button. I burn and rip from an 8X external DVD-/+RW because it is obviously MUCH faster than my Macs 1x Superdrive. That means the keyboards eject key doesn't work for me. While not a necessity, an eject button would make it easier than finding the DVD (I keep them from showing on the desktop to save space) and than having to drag it to the trash.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm, I guess it might be useful in that case, where the F12 key doesn't eject the DVD in the external drive. I'll forward your comment to Geezerbuttz, and we'll see.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have news regarding my difficulty with mtr1.5.4.

After I successfully extract a file, DVD player will NOT playback. I was able to playback the extracted files through VLC, but not DVD Player.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I have only ripped one disc with MTR 1.5.4 but DVD Player plays it just fine. I ripped the entire disc. I don't think I've ripped any title sets with 1.5.4 yet.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by alexliz
    I was able to playback the extracted files through VLC, but not DVD Player.
    You do know that title mode will not make playable output, right? The only modes that will make a playable VIDEO_TS folder are 'Complete Disc', 'Main Feature' and 'Title Set'. Title mode will just give you the VOB files from the title or range of chapters you want, but you will need to master a working DVD folder to make use of them.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  10. i've been holding off on using this program for a while now because DVDBackup has worked just fine for me...until I met a disc it couldn't rip. So, I turned to MacTheRipper and it ripped the disc just fine, without a hitch! Nice program you got going WiseWeasel (and all others involved). Keep up the good work!
    Visit me at www.virtualaftershock.com/ for all your Custom DVD cover needs.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just do marketing and PR and stuff, Geezerbuttz is the one doing all the coding on this app. Thank him!
    Quote Quote  
  12. MTR, Great Application!

Thank You Geezerbuttz for this amazing app and WiseWeasel for all the PR and other stuff.

MacTheRipper ripped two region 1 dvds which other rippers failed, including YadeX). It removed RCE as well. It is, also quite fast.
    I am in region 2.

Thanks.
    artistic treatment of mortality
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've inserted "Bad Boys II" in my superdrive and ran MTR. It says that the region is "0" and RCE has detected. On the DVD and the DVD case sleeve, it says region "1." Why does MTR says region "0?"
    I ejected the disc and put it back, same thing it shows me.

Tell me if what I did was correct. I set the Disc region to "0" and set the RCE region to "OFF."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This is because many commercial DVDs nowadays have their disc region set to 0, but the RCE checks for region 1. This is so that region-free players will stay in region 0 when you play that disc (rather than switching to region 1, like when a region 1 disc is detected), causing the RCE check to fail, as the RCE wants the player to be region 1. Basically, they're trying to fool the region-free players into not switching to the proper region for RCE to pass. They're bastards like that... Just set the RCE Region in MTR to "RCE 1", and it will remove that for you. Always set RCE region to the region the DVD was purchased in (if RCE is detected), regardless of the disc's region setting. Only (and always) set the RCE Region to "RCE Off" when it says that RCE is Clear.
    Quote Quote  
  15. It seems like the choices for RCE removal are confusing people. Maybe the menu labels in MTR can be changed so WW and others don't have to keep explaining how they work.

Perhaps "Disc Region" should be something like "New Disc Region" or "Destination Disc Region".

Anyway, I think "RCE Region" should definitely be something like "RCE Removal (Leave this OFF unless RCE is detected)".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's kinda hard to fit all that into the interface. I've already gone over how to use RCE removal in the manual, along with on our website. Maybe we could add something like tooltips to indicate when to use those options, but I don't think that much info could be packed right onto the interface in an elegant way. We'll see if there isn't a better way to design the interface, so that it becomes more obvious.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Honestly WW, I don't see any need to go to too much trouble accommodating people who don't bother to read the very brief and simple instructions. I just started using MTR a week or two ago, and the only thing I could see a little improvement on is explaining which region to set the RCE to when the disk is mastered for more than one region. You actually do tell what to do, but just a short addition in brackets along the lines of "set the RCE to the region the disc was purchased in (including discs mastered for more than one region)....." would do the trick.

This was the first ripper I had used that tells what regions the disc is mastered for, so I was a little surprised when I saw discs mastered for region 1 and 4, for example. I wondered what to set the RCE to, and since the instructions say to set it for the region where the disc was purchased, that's what I did.
    Quote Quote  
  18. well, i rtfm and was left with the impression to always leave rce on "0" even if rce was detected -- not a complaint, just an observation -- i guess i have to read it again.
    Quote Quote  
  19. If MacTheRipper displays‘RCE: Clear!’ after scanning the DVD in the drive, you can leave the ‘RCE Region’ popup menu on ‘OFF’, as it is by default. If MacTheRipper has detected RCE, you must set the ‘RCE Region’ popup menu option to the region in which the DVD was purchased. For example, if you have a DVD that was purchased in N. America (Region 1), and MacTheRipper says that RCE is detected, you must set the ‘RCE Region’ popup menu to ‘RCE 1’.
    Seems pretty clear to me.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Version 1.5.5 of MacTheRipper was released today, with the following improvements:
    • Allows you to select exactly which regions you want to enable, allowing for any combination of regions
    • No longer remembers the last RCE region you set, so that it will always go back to the default of 'OFF', to avoid corrupting DVDs by having RCE removal enabled when it shouldn't be
    • Minor interface enhancements

You can grab your copy of MacTheRipper 1.5.5 here:
    http://homepage.mac.com/wiseweasel/mactherippercurrent.dmg

Note: You must delete the old preference file for MTR, called 'com.geezerbuttz.mtr.plist', located in your home/library/preferences folder before using the new version.

Sorry I couldn't get the email notification sent out yet, so you might hear about it here first.
    Quote Quote  
  21. The RCE change is a good one. I'm always afraid I will get going too fast and forget to turn it off again.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is super SWEEEEEEEEEEET. It just keeps getting better and better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, and I also clarified the manual some more, for those who were having difficulty understanding how to use RCE removal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i love how we get the privlidged info... heck its not even updated on
    http://www.wormintheapple.gr/macdvd/mtr.html#download

keep up the good work fellas!

does the new version offer Menu + Movie [deleting extras] rips?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, Galactica, your request came too late. Besides, I don't think we'll be doing that, as it will make a technically broken DVD. To do it right, we would need to edit the menu's .IFO file to disable buttons for features that were removed, and we don't know how to do that. So, for what you want, you'll just have to keep ripping the whole thing and tossing what you don't want . . . for now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    no worries.... just thought id toss out a dream of mine ....

your right.. who knows what the future may bring
    Quote Quote  
  27. Actually, galactica brings up one thing I had wondered about. It's a shame to lose the menus and all with discs that have both widescreen and pan and scam versions on the same side of the disc. It sure would be nice to just dump the worthless P&S version and keep everything else intact.

If you were able to do that (of course, there is no way to remove the P&S option in the menus) what would happen if you selected the removed version? Would it really be any different from selecting a removed soundtrack on a full disc copy? Would it be any worse than having to eject the disc and play over or just hit the menu button to go back to the remaining version?

Just a thought.

Maybe that is something that could also be addressed in DVD2One, but it would be simpler to not have to extraxct the extra version of the film.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can easily just delete the VOBs from the P&S version, and the DVD will work perfectly (except for maybe crashing or otherwise tripping out when you select a menu option for deleted features). Just do a Complete Disc extraction, and then trash the 4x3 VOBs. You can tell which ones are the 4x3 ones by playing the VOB files with VLC. What Galactica wanted was some sort of interface to do this automatically, but it would be a tough interface problem, requiring some serious redesigning, and it might crash your DVD player if you select menu options for omitted tracks, a less than professional solution. What would be needed is something like IFOEdit's capabilities, to disable menu options for removed content. For now, just keep doing it manually, and avoid selecting menu options for stuff you've thrown away.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    pan and scam
    Thats funny and true. Do you mind if I borrow that line?
    If it isn't broken, take it apart and find out why.
    blog: deadsierra
    Quote Quote  
  30. Hey WW, thanks for the info. Next time I run into that situation I'll know what to do. I never even thought about just dumping the VOBs. anyone who plays one of my discs and asks for a P&S version gets exactly what they deserve. :P

Pan and Scam is hardly my brainchild, so use it freely.........
    Quote Quote