VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    MTR is a plain old DVD ripper, extracting the VIDEO_TS folder (or just the main feature, a title set, or a title and/or range of chapters) with the original MPEG 2 files, minus the CSS scrambling, Macrovision protection, and now region code and RCE region protection. It doesn't modify the video streams in any way. Handbrake, like Forty-Two and others, is a Divx ripper, making compressed files that can only be played on computers with properly configured Divx playback software, or set-top Divx players.
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
  2. Perhaps you are right WiseWeasel!

The only way to prove or disprove you statement was to change the region code on my Malata from “region 0” to “region 1” and to play the DVD’s again. It took me some time to find the region code menu and to make that change, but the result was really rewarding: the DVD was working fine (like the one with the original “all-region” setting)!

The strange about this:
    The $45 Malata, in this case, performs better then $150 Pioneer and $600 Panasonic!

The puzzling about this:
    Why the YADE was unsuccessful with ripping this DVD?
    Why the MTR displays 1,2,3,4,5,6 and 8 as a DVD’s region code instead of displaying only 0?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Listen.....

Region 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 = region free ( R0 )

your disk is 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... and 8 not toyaly region free...

Get it ???
    Quote Quote  
  4. geezerbuttz and WiseWeasel

You should be proud of your new creation! The MTR has successfully ripped the “No Man’s Land” and I positively confirm that the back-up DVD is now Region 0.

It shows me that MTR shines where the other ripping applications failed.

The inability of playing the back-up DVD has nothing to do with the MTR performance and everything to do with the lack of capability of Region 1 DVD players to correctly play PAL recordings. All this was an enlighting experience for me and I hope that it was useful also for a few more people.

Now MTR is my ripper of choice because it is FAST, TRANSPARENT and MOST SUCCESFUL compared to other rippers.

Thank you geezerbuttz for your hard work and your wonderful gift to our Mac community.
    WiseWeasel, your efforts are greatly appreciated for facilitating this project and helping with troubleshooting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Version 1.5.1 is now available, and fixes a few bugs:
    • Fixed problem where mounted volumes other than the DVD were being scanned for region and RCE
    • Fixed a bug if you insert a 2nd DVD while the first one is ripping
    • Added a refresh button for the list of DVDs, in case it doesn't get updated automatically (disabled during extraction)
    •*Minor interface improvements

Have at it:
    [Edit] Removed link to old version [/Edit]
    I like systems, their application excepted. (George Sand, translated from French), "J'aime beaucoup les systèmes, le cas d'application excepté."
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I just posted a slightly-revised version of MTR 1.5.1. It now remembers window placement, and fixes a few typos. Same old link, same version rev, new creation date (3-4-04 @ 0148 hours).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, version 1.5.2 is now ready. Here are the improvements:
    • New app preferences remember the last options you set last time you used the app, including save location, extraction type, region options, etc.
    • Go! is now the default option, so if you have a save directory set, you can just hit enter and start ripping, as long as there's no RCE region to set
    •*Minor typo fixes

Have at it:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Version 1.5.3 is now released, which fixes the following issues:
    • Fixes a bug where MTR would forget the last save dir if you open the 'Save To' panel and hit 'Cancel'
    • Redesigned UI in standard Aqua widgets to improve compatibility and functionality

The purdy LCD-looking things are history, but it works better like this, and is probably more readable. Let us know what you think.

[Edit]Removed link to older version[/Edit]
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This version of MTR is better as I'm talking about the looks of it.(looks neater) Good job.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    Version 1.5.3 is now released, which fixes the following issues:
    • Fixes a bug where MTR would forget the last save dir if you open the 'Save To' panel and hit 'Cancel'
    • Redesigned UI in standard Aqua widgets to improve compatibility and functionality

The purdy LCD-looking things are history, but it works better like this, and is probably more readable. Let us know what you think.

http://homepage.mac.com/wiseweasel/mactheripper153.dmg
    And I just wrote up a whole thesis on why you should have used the standard GUI items, and then you go and do this? Damn.
    If it isn't broken, take it apart and find out why.
    blog: deadsierra
    Quote Quote  
  11. Wow, this version of MTR is much improved. But I do have two comments.

First, I cannot select or copy text from the disc info pane that drops down, making it difficult to post that information here.

Second, if I look at the disc info on any dvd (tried 3) it says something akin to this:

Title set 10 has an aspect ratio of 4:3, 1 angle(s), 1 audio track(s), and 0 subpicture channel(s).
    Title 12 has 1 chapter(s).

The main feature has 37 chapter(s), 7 audio channel(s), aspect ratio of 4:3, and 156526963 angles.
    And is Title set 3

why are there so many angles listed?

I don't think this is an issue with dvdbackup, because passing it the '-I' flag, gives me only 1 angle for the main feature.

dotpuppy
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This application is outstanding!!! Its really user friendly and does not gobble up all my cpu. Kudos!! 8)
    20"iMac 2.0Ghz 1GB RAM : internal 250GB HD : 128GB Lacie FireWire d2 external HD : DVD-RW Lacie 4X d2 : iBot Firewire : OS 10.4.8
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by dotpuppy
    The main feature has 37 chapter(s), 7 audio channel(s), aspect ratio of 4:3, and 156526963 angles.
    And is Title set 3

why are there so many angles listed?
    dotpuppy
    Wow. Over 156 million angles. That is one hell of a dvd.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    MacTheRipper 1.5.4 is now out, and fixes the following issues:
    • Fixes a bug with DVDs that have certain characters (namely the apostrophe) in their title
    • Fixes a problem with the disc size calculation code
    • Minor interface enhancement

Get your copy here:
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The angles issue is being looked into, but it doesn't affect anything, as MTR doesn't separate angles, so it doesn't make a difference one way or the other. Angles can be ignored for now.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by WiseWeasel
    MacTheRipper 1.5.4 is now out
    Whats the chances of creating an email notification list for the updates... that is until its avaliable on versiontracker??

Just a suggestion since it keeps growing so quickly
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by galactica
    Whats the chances of creating an email notification list for the updates... that is until its avaliable on versiontracker??
    All who are interested send me a PM with your email address, and I'll set one up. Versiontracker will always stay behind, as it will be dependant on updates to our website, which we don't have direct posting access to, and doesn't get updated very often, as you can see by the version number available there. This means that looking for new version announcements in this forum is the best bet for keeping up-to-date with MTR. For those that want immediate notification for new version releases of MTR, send me a private message indicating you want to join the list, and include your email address.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Congrats on getting it listed in Versiontracker!
    I logged into VT, which is my start page,
    and I saw it there! I was like WTF?!?!?
    Congrats guys on making the best ripper
    for the Mac.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Am I doing something wrong? After I have 'successfully' ripped a dvd (in whole or in part) I go to Open Video TS Folder, point to the TS folder I've just ripped and nothing happens. How can I watch a ripped disk from my hard disk?

Thanks, guys.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You then have to hit the 'Play' button, once you've selected the VIDEO_TS folder.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Great app!!

That is all.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Right. Now I *have* successfully ripped and *have* pressed Play on the DVD Player after having pointed to a Video TS folder.

All I get is a black screen with a green Stop on the top left.

Am I supposed to be able to playback the ripped file through DVD Player or not? If yes, is there something else I must do before/after?

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  23. alexliz, I don't know why DVD Player isn't playing the file for you. All you do is open DVD player (it's easier if there isn't a DVD installed, since it will automatically play the DVD) hit command-O, choose the VIDEO_TS folder, hit "Choose" and then hit "Play" or the space bar. Should work every time.

I can never get DVD Player to play the actual burned discs, even though I have followed the instructions to the letter. Fortunately, it isn't a big deal since I'm not burning discs to play on the computer.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Maybe my ripped files are not ripped properly? I have Panther 10.3.2 and MactheRipper 1.5. I have chosen to Extract Title Set No. 4 of the Rat Race movie. The log window shows the following after the rip:

Extracting Menu VTS_04_0.IFO of P9033DVD TS4
    Extracting Menu VTS_04_0.BUP of P9033DVD TS4
    Extracting Vob Number (1 of 1) of Title Set (4 of 5) of P9033DVD TS4

Could it be that what I have ripped is actually nothing but blackness? Does anyone else get the green stop symbol on the top left of the DVD Player Viewer window?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Has it occurred to you that you're the only one having this problem? Have you investigated the VOB file in question? What's the size of the file on the DVD and HD rip? Have you tried opening the VOB on the DVD with VLC, mPlayer, or QuickTime(MPEG2 component installed) to see what happens? Many DVDs have just that, a title set that contains nothing but blackness and will result in the same behavior that you describe. Beware that the extract Title Function will not result in a VIDEO_TS folder that DVD Player will play, all other functions will. Did you really mean version 1.5? Why not use version 1.5.4?
    Quote Quote  
  26. Thanks, tugboat, for the very specific post. The VOB file looks identical on both the DVD and the hard disk, the size measuring at 97.5MB. Only the name is different; on the DVD it is VTS_04_1.vob whereas on the disk it's VTS_01_1.vob, but I guess that's normal since I only extracted that specific title.

I will now try a different Extract mode and see what happens. Will also try v. 1.5.4. Haven't long dabbled in dvd ripping, so I wasn't even aware of the apps you mention. Will give them a shot, though and let you know in a new post.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Well, I extracted the full main feature of Rat Race, and I got exactly the same result. I don't know how to install the MPEG2 component for QT, so if you can help I'll appreciate it very much. I also got MPEG2Works 3.3 but couldn't figure out what to do with it. VLC is almost downloaded and will see what I can do.

It's frustrating...
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, the QT MPEG2 component comes free with FCP4, DVDSP, or cost money otherwise. VLC & MPlayer OSX 2 are free and will play the same files. Stick with what's free for now. Have you ever been able to play a VIDEO_TS folder with DVD Player? What happens when you select 'Open VIDEO_TS Folder' and try to play the folder that's on the DVD? Have you tried a different DVD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Definitely make sure you're using version 1.5.4. It fixes problems with title set mode. As for the complete disc mode output, that should definitely play with DVD Player. Is the size of the output folder on your HD the same as the DVD's size? If yes, then you should be able to launch DVD Player, hit apple-O, navigate to the VIDEO_TS folder (note: do not select actual VOB files, but the VIDEO_TS folder itself), hit the 'choose' button, and then hit play, and it should play.
    Also, DVDs that you've burned should play with DVD Player as well. You have to make sure to burn them in DVD-ROM (UDF) format. Look for info in the sticky at the top of the mac video forum page on the specifics of this operation.
    If you still can't get it working, send us an email at mtr@wormintheapple.gr, and we'll try to get you sorted out.
    Quote Quote  
  30. FWIW, my comment about my burned DVDs not playing my burned discs is not a big deal, it just has me a little baffled. I do everything exactly as specified in the DVD2One thread stickied on this forum, and the discs play just fine on any DVD player as well as with VLC, but when I try to play them with DVD Player, I just get the "Not Permitted" dialog. I can play the VIDEO_TS folder from the computer and I can also load the folder back onto the computer and play it, I just can't play it directly from the burned disc. I guess nobody else has run into this.
    Quote Quote