VideoHelp Forum

Poll: Violence In Movies...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    It Is Right For Some Movies, Bad For Others

Submitted by: Offline
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Like in Fight Club - That movie required the violence, and it was part of the story.
    <rant>
    What amazes me, is that extreme violence is well accepted, while a bare nipple makes people call for the scissors or a PG/X rating. Like it's fine to let the kids see a womans breast get hacked off with a bread saw, as long as the nipple doesn't show... I guess we got the world we deserve...
    </rant>

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Like when people yelled and screamed about the violence in Pulp Fiction, when actaully a lot of the violence was off screen.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Good plots dont really exist anymore.

These days it's all about making money, selling toys, selling crap, having your junk in the next Happy Meal, playing with cinema technique, and see how far you can push the film with angering the censors.

But plot... What's a plot?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Good plots dont really exist anymore.

Sure they do. The problem is that Terry Gilliam can only get to them so fast.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Too much in my opinion, and I find most of it unneccessary.
    There seems to me, that all you see, is violence in movies and sex on TV.
    Will
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  7. If it's appropriate, I don't have a problem with it.

To me, The Patriot is an example of using violence to tell a story the way it really happened. War is violent.

I don't have a problem with violence or sex on television. I have a problem with parents who bitch about violence and sex on television and don't practice what they preach with their own children.

TV. Kids CAN live without it.

You are right, Will. It has become excessive on television.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    but what about those good old family values, for that we used to rely?
    tgpo, my real dad, told me to make a maximum of 5,806 posts on vcdhelp.com in one lifetime. So I have.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Good question.

Unfortunately we as US citizens no longer define family values, the courts do.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Christ, there's a lot of violence in movies these days!

This is a topic i'm very Passion-ate about.

...um, the ...of.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    We all have our own personal CROSSES to bare.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I have a 3 year old girl....Violence in movies or TV I dont have a prob with...Sex on the TV after 11 or 12 thats fine....I am the parent and it is MY resposibility to act accordingly...I have the remote AND the channel locks...I hate the throughout the day crap...Jerry Springer and other talk shows as well as the early evening shows like friends and sienfeld...Reality TV shows aren't worth 2 cents to me either.....Some movies I agree have violence when its not needed as well as sex.....

I love the comment about the courts define family values....I agree 100%....

My little girl watches educational cartoons...When I was little I was stuck with the violence of Bugs Bunny and the pantsless Porky Pig..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The more violence and the more ultra gore the better.

My favorite horror movie director Lucio Fulci once was asked about a scene in one of his movies where a character got a drill through his head (extremely graphic and incredible special effect ... if you didn't know better you would think they killed the actor for real).

His response was, "It was a cry against fascism"

Seemed rather bizarre thing to say but years later in another interview he was asked what he meant by that infamous quote.

To sum it up ... he said that violence in movies is an outlet or a way for people to vent such intense feelings. He was from Italy and recalled how public mob violence was a problem when fascism was "the in thing" and that was what he was talking about.

So bring on the ultra violence !!!

It's probably keeping me from being a serial killer :P

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Will, We're lucky there's a family guy
    Quote Quote  
  15. Careful! Marriage tends to bring around the 'family guy' mentality.
    Quote Quote  
  16. If its appropriate then I have no problem i.e. a movie like Saving Private Ryan.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If its appropriate then I have no problem
    I agree, I was really pleased they cut out the bit where they fried NEMO in batter.
    "Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by alucard2050
    My little girl watches educational cartoons...When I was little I was stuck with the violence of Bugs Bunny and the pantsless Porky Pig..
    I sincerely hope this was a joke. I for one was outraged when they started hacking up classic Bugs Bunny cartoons because of so-called violence. I grew up watching Bugs & Co. faithfully and I didn't turn out to be an axe murderer or go around dropping safes on peoples heads.
    Even as a kid when watching the hacked versions of the cartoons I knew something was "missing, different and just WRONG" with my once beloved cartoons.
    I just got my "Golden Collection" DVD set from Warner Bros....now I can see SOME of my favorites restored to their original best...I'm a happy guy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What bothers me is that it's a two sided street.

Some people bitch and complain about all the blood and violence in a movie and how it's going to ruin society. But once a movie comes out that tailors to their group, it's ok to have all the gore. It's needed to have a correct account of what happened

Like stated above, so did the Patriot, and Brave Heart.

Who cares what's on TV. I have a remote, if I don't like it I change it. Or always pop in a DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by indolikaa
    Careful! Marriage tends to bring around the 'family guy' mentality.

Originally Posted by tgpo
    Will, We're lucky there's a family guy
    I should be rewarded financially for that joke
    And yes Indo, you got it eventually
    Where's devanshu when you need him?
    Will
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    Originally Posted by alucard2050
    I sincerely hope this was a joke
    Erm yes, Einstein, did you not see his emoticon?
    Are you kidding me?
    This is another example of our world of politically correctness gone mad; the fear of offending people for some innocoulous comment.
    Jeesh!
    Will Hay
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    That's Mr. Einstein to you d|ckhead. How is that for P.C.?
    Oops...almost forgot the 's
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    dickhead?
    Erm, good one.
    Haven't heard that in a while.

Originally Posted by heck15
    Oops...almost forgot the 's
    Much better.
    Will Hay
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the downfall of society is not excessive violence but rather the use of foul language :P

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by Hill Way
    I think the downfall of society is not excessive violence but rather the use of foul language :P
    Absotively posilutley agree....I'll start tomorrow...
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    IMO some movies need it. For example Clint Eastwood's "Dirty Harry" series. Could you imagine Dirty Harry giving up his 44 magnum for cross. No offense meant.
    Quote Quote  
  27. I saw My Little Eye yesterday, and towards the ending there where nothing else than violence...

It was supposed to be Snuff though, how sick isn't that? One Crazy movie, but the violence made the film more exciting.

Anyway, this is a movie that required the violence, even though it isn't that good (talking about the movie now, but have seen worse... ).
    10110101100111012011 <- The bug Bill doesn't talk about.
    Quote Quote  
  28. violence in movies isn't the problem, lack of punishment for the crime is. Rape and kill and you're out in 8-10 with good behavior, Cheat on your taxes and you get life without parole. People will say executing a for sure guilty murderer won't bring little johnny back, true, but he won't do it again.
    Quote Quote  
  29. Of course, all things in context. The problem is that Hollywood has come to embrace violence as a genre. For example. while I thought Quentin Tarantino's first film was clever in making a parody of violence, I find his later films are trite and now, offensive, because he's never evolved from where he started. He's become a parody of the of all those Hollywood Directors who have in some way attempted to capitalize on the concept of violence for the sake of violence.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Hollywood movies have gotten a lot noisier, but Hollywood violence looks like a Walt Disney movie compared to Euro slashers from the '70s

I've seen more graphic violence in a tgpo kung fu movie than anything out of Hollywood
    Quote Quote