VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)

Poll: Violence In Movies...

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 31 to 60 of 72
Thread
  1. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Texas
    Search Comp PM
    Is violence more than what it was 10 years ago, i would say no, the violence as aways been there but it was restrained, i look back at the living dead movies and i see alot of the violence that is new movies.

    Why is this a issue now. because children are not taught that there is no reset button do not understand what a gun is. When a child does somthing bad their hands are tied because they are afraid that thier child will report them to child abuse. We all are looking for a scape goat on why a person murders, why do people kill people, that we are willing to blame anything.

    It does not help when people conviced of these crimes shout out and claim music, movies, games affect them for it harms those industries and it provides a get out of jail pass.

    so what are we to do, blame the movies or teach children at a young age what violence is what hurting means, what a gun is , what sex is, becuase if you dont teach them someone or somthing else will. Dont be afriad to repermand your child, they have to know whos boss and what lines not to cross.

    thats my two bits
    peace
    Is it better to live a long life and not lived at all or lived a short life and really lived?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    They banned circa 1930-1965 Looney Tunes because the voices and lips on blacks was "derogatory" to the race. They edited Tom and Jerry cartoons, covering up the black woman's original voice with some "PC" version.

    Then Janet pops her boob out on tv.

    What was more degrading, I ask ?
    Quote Quote  
  3. I went and saw The Passion today.....I guess that movie is why violence in tv and movies is such a hot topic these days but let me tell you, it was full of violence and gore....Plain and simple...There was nothing pretty about it....I had an open mind when I went into the theater but after the movie I had nothing to say.....In my opinion, the violence in that movie fit that movie....Of course some will say that the point of what happened could have been made with less violence but I think Mel Gibson decided to go all the way and leave an impression in many people minds that would not have gotten an impression if there was less violence......To the original question though I agree that it fits some movies and not others.......
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member tweedledee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Search Comp PM
    Where would Christianity be today if Jesus had got 5-8 with time off for good behavior?
    "Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Americas
    Search Comp PM
    Why so much violence in the movies? It sells. Unfortunately. There's almost no movie without graphis violence, abundance of explosions and rivers of blood. They all cater to young audience that seems to like it a lot. It's no mystery that youngsters drive many markets today and products are developped accordingly to get their attantion. Doom, Quake etc. grabbed the essence ot it and became widely succesful. Kids love visual shock, indecency, foul language. Beeing "bad" is for many of them a fast lane to adulthood. Media monitors kids closely paying big bucks for an insight into their minds. That applies to every industry now, cell phones, clothes, music etc etc etc. As long as kids like it we'll have to put up with it.
    Quote Quote  
  6. i'm with proxyx99 on this one! the only reason there's so much violence is because it sells. it's the same reasoning behind sexy tv advertisements. it doesn't even matter what it they're selling. i have no doubts about mel gibson's faith. but after having seen the movie, i think he's done the same thing. i mean, anyone who's ever been to catechism (or sunday school) knows there's a whole lot more to the guy than the last 24 hours the film focuses on. why did he (mel, not j.c.) chose this? because it's visceral - it stirs emotion - it gets people upset. i didn't leave the theatre feeling anything but - whoa, that guy took some abuse! maybe that's what mel wants us to feel. maybe he wants us to feel guilty or ashamed for what christ underwent for us. [i won't even go into what i think he wants jewish people to feel] i just think he's used the same tools the ad agencies force-feed us everyday catering to the rubber-necking sexist in all of us. i mean, why is it the whole resurection scene (which, for any real christian should be the triumphant moment) felt like an understated afterthought?!?

    -as you can see, i have some feelings about this. that's what happens when your the son of a minister and grew up having dogma forced down your throat. back to the topic, i'm all for sex & violence - just in context. it's like bunnylips said earlier - if that's all the movie (tv show) is - then i don't really find it entertainment - just gratuitous.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO United States
    Search Comp PM
    Appropriate for some, gratuitous for others. Can you imagine a Disneyed-down Braveheart? :P
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    beautiful
    Search Comp PM
    Problem is with responsibility.

    I have no problem with violence or sex in the movies, and nor should any of you - as last as the movie is labelled R+ rated, or TV-MA. Obviously it should be warning good enough itself for all those who dont like to watch violence or sex. Crying out loud that kids may 'accidentally' watch it is a lame excuse for shifting *parent's* responsibility onto broadcasters, while it is damn parent's responsibility to supervise their own children and make sure what they watch on tv or in theaters.

    I remember viewing one mother's complaint to CBC (canadian broadcaster) some time ago: she was complaining that her fat/obese teenage daughter is so depressed because she sees only skinny beautiful models in tv commercials... to my disbelief there was almost paranoidal, politically correct response from show's host, who gave some most idiotic blabbering speech about lack of respect, lack of responsibilty, etc, of advertisers and movie makers to society (!!) instead of just telling that stupid mother to perhaps start feeding her daughter some proper food instead of greasy burgers!
    The same goes with violence or sex on screen. Its part of idiotic political correctness imported from puritan US of A that spreads like disease all over the world - its allright to kill human beings on screen of almost every movie or game and rate them PG-14 (!!!), but its not OK to show beauty of a human body
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by DereX888
    Its part of idiotic political correctness imported from puritan US of A that spreads like disease all over the world
    Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    beautiful
    Search Comp PM
    indolikaa wrote:
    Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.
    I just did ! didnt I?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Renegade gll99's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Canadian Tundra
    Search Comp PM
    Just have an accurate rating system and let the market place decide. Games are supposedly rated but a recent tv program showed that many games were improperly under rating the violence.

    Purists may be shocked to know that I removed some scenes from 2 popular Disney animated movies so my young daughter could enjoy the films. I used my parental discretion to edit the content based on her age at the time. All or nothing was not an option since the films are classics and generally good. (Fear not though, the originals are still intact.)

    btw) This is one argument I would use to maintain the right to backup and edit DVD video's for private use.
    Quote Quote  
  12. You did, yes. I just don't think you should sugarcoat it, that's all.

    Originally Posted by DereX888
    Crying out loud that kids may 'accidentally' watch it is a lame excuse for shifting *parent's* responsibility onto broadcasters, while it is damn parent's responsibility to supervise their own children and make sure what they watch on tv or in theaters.
    Amen.

    I don't feel the need to discipline the child. But I sure do feel the need to horsebeat the parents into submission.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Filthy language is often used and adds nothing to movie. I went to see Relic a few years ago and was somewhat annoyed at how often the "F" word was used. It added nothing to the movie and for me, actually took away from the experience. The same could be said for dozens of titles.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by phonomas
    why did he (mel, not j.c.) chose this?

    Story behind this is that Mel Gibson says he once considered suicide, and instead of turning to despair, he turned to God.

    http://www.ananova.com/entertainment/story/sm_867568.html

    He financed the film out of his own pocket...and made it the way he
    wanted.

    I'm not really defending Mel or the film (I haven't seen it yet)
    just shedding some light on the story behind the film.
    I may be partially biased being that I once worked with the guy in a film.

    It's an artists' interpretation of the death of Christ - and sooner people realize that, the better off we'll all be

    This isn't exactly the first time the accent on the brutality Christ endured during in the moments before his death has been given the spotlight.

    If you've ever seen any doctumentaries on The Shroud of Turin, nothing in The Passion Of The Christ should come as a surprise.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member mats.hogberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sweden (PAL)
    Search Comp PM
    Crying out loud that kids may 'accidentally' watch it is a lame excuse for shifting *parent's* responsibility onto broadcasters, while it is damn parent's responsibility to supervise their own children and make sure what they watch on tv or in theaters.
    Hear, hear.

    /Mats
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DereX888
    Its part of idiotic political correctness imported from puritan US of A that spreads like disease all over the world - its allright to kill human beings on screen of almost every movie or game and rate them PG-14 (!!!), but its not OK to show beauty of a human body
    Ahh....the same people who brought us:

    "Caution - Coffee Is Hot"

    American FCC mentality coupled with lawyers...what a scarry and stupid useless combination.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Americas
    Search Comp PM
    How about removing all the street signs, light posts etc. and letting your 12 year old drive under these conditions? Those who say it's the parents forgot that we have formed a society and accepted certain rules of conduct. According to them in civilized society you are entitled to expect that your future job interview won't take place in a public washroom or your boss won't come to work in pyjama and greet you waving from his bed. Same appiles to children. You can expect that those resposible for programming will exhibit some jugment and restrain. Saying it's all parents does not pass the test of life. It's in some respect similar to statement that "guns don't kill". Sure if you teach respect for human life they won't. But beware if you don't and the gun is at someones fingetrips.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by indolikaa
    Originally Posted by DereX888
    Its part of idiotic political correctness imported from puritan US of A that spreads like disease all over the world
    Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.
    Yup, he's right. It's so funny seeing things from Usa that are censored, then you read about it being "the land of the free" - That one makes me laugh so damned hard! (I bet the 'damned' gets censored!!).

    Anyway, just think about the future - there we are in 20-50 years, and the social controllers will be moaning and wailing because the NECESSARY outlet for our internal angst/rage/anger was taken from us (with the banning of violent games/cartoons/movies) and now there is uncontrolled violence.

    I know that where you have an outlet for feelings, they are diminished, expunged from the psyche. Where the outlets are blocked, the feelings are internalised and fester over time, after a while they'll be acted upon.

    There is no answer for psychos and nutters - blaming games or movies is NOT the answer. A psycho will go 'off' over anything, even reading a passage from the bible will 'tell' them to go kill people - usually in god's name.

    It's just 'flavour of the month' for the wowsers and those who desperately need a cause to pontificate on.

    To quote Billy Connolly - they should just "**** off!"

    LOL

    One thing I will add tho - violence in movies needs a logical reason for it (not for any 'goodie two-shoes' motive, but unplotted violence is just boring).

    And sex in movies is silly and pointless - they will never show 'plumbing' shots, and the scenes just waste movie time (maybe that's why they're there, to pad a crappy movie out?).

    I'd rather see a short get into bed, kissy kissy, nude boob, then switch to the smoking afterwards scene. None of the 15 minutes of rolling and humping, moaning and "Ohh Ohhh" shit.
    |
    Meeow!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO United States
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DereX888
    indolikaa wrote:
    Don't hold back, tell us how you really feel.
    I just did ! didnt I?
    He was kidding.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member mats.hogberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sweden (PAL)
    Search Comp PM
    the scenes just waste movie time (maybe that's why they're there, to pad a crappy movie out?).
    Yeah, just like extended car chases (or fighting) - makes me go ZzZZZzzzzz.... in 30 seconds!

    /Mats
    Quote Quote  
  21. I think "Total Recall" went over the edge. The shameful thing was, it ruined a fantastic story! It's an incredibly engaging and interesting story, but I won't be buying the DVD because it is just too gratuitiously violent.

    I mean there were several "applause moments" that actually glorified the violence. I was thinking just let Arnold get captured so the innocent people around him will be spared. For instance, using that guy as a human shield on the escalator was sick, not funny, not heroic.


    Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  22. This isn't exactly the first time the accent on the brutality Christ endured during in the moments before his death has been given the spotlight.
    Granted, but this is certainly the most gratuitous version!
    Quote Quote  
  23. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Denver, CO United States
    Search Comp PM
    Hollywood puts in what sells. Violence sells movies. I agree Total Recall could have done without a lot of the violence. It was an interesting story. Other Schwarzenegger movies have gone over the edge too, like True Lies, but that movie had one of the funniest "messed-up" scenes when the terrorist got hooked onto the sidewinder missile That scene made my list of "funniest ways for the bad guy to bite the bag", which includes:
    1) The scene in Rambo 3 where the big Russian guy gets his grenade pin pulled, a rope wrapped around his neck, and kicked down into the hole at the top of the cavern
    2) The scene near the end of Tango and Cash where the sadistic brit gets a grenade dropped into his pants and then he's kicked down the stairs
    3) Scene in Matrix where Mr. Smith stands up just in time to get hit by the train
    We would be deprived of these funny moments if all violence was banned. As long as we remember it's hollywood special-effects and not real humans getting killed. I would be sickened seeing a real person die like in these examples, but I know it's makeup and pyrotechnics and stunt men, and they're funny as hell because they get so spectacular. I think it's ludicrous to think the average kid doesn't know the difference between these movies and real life. Give them some credit.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    beautiful
    Search Comp PM
    proxyx99 wrote:

    How about removing all the street signs, light posts etc. and letting your 12 year old drive under these conditions?
    But we all say KEEP THE SIGNS! (first of all - parents of this 12 y.o. kid as in your example should not let this kid drive...)
    Everyone here wants to have all movies labelled appropriately - yet intact, as the director wanted us to see them. Not some B.S. censored versions. I did - and always intend to - use my own brain to judge what is good or bad for me. I find it outright repulsive idea, much in orwellian 1984 style, letting someone else (i.e. broadcaster's, MPAA's "censor") to make decisions on what I should and I shouldn't see!


    Those who say it's the parents forgot that we have formed a society and accepted certain rules of conduct. According to
    Yes, we have formed a society, and the society was always - and fortunately still is - expecting the parents to be responsible for their children. That includes supervising them in what they can and cant watch on tv etc.
    The society in some cases even removes children from the unresponsible parent's supervision too, which fact even further underlines *parents* responsibilty for upbringing of their children, dont you think?

    Saying it's all parents does not pass the test of life. It's in some respect similar to statement that "guns don't kill". Sure if you teach respect for human life they won't. But beware if you don't and the gun is at someones fingetrips.
    Youre totally wrong. It did pass the test of life for thousands of years in every culture and civilization, and it does pass the test of life today. Its actually the ones like you who try to shift personal responsibility onto society (which means onto other people) who got us in such mess we have now. Look around, you'll find thousands of examples of irresponsible parents teaching their kids wrong things. Why should I (or anyone else) be held responsible for their action? Dont we all have our own responsibilities?! This is very dangerous way of thinking and perception what you are presenting here, lack of responsibility doesnt lead to anything constructive because obviusly for every one's fault he/she would blame always someone else, what equals to no progress of such person. Dont forget that society is as rich (physically and mentally) as the people who form it. The more deviants you allow in your society, the worse it becomes. And what if finally everyone start shifting responsibility on others - who will be left in the end to be blamed for? Perhaps they'll blame another society or country?

    No point in arguing about such obvious things like "guns don't kill". The fact is that its always a *person* who squeezed the trigger while pointing the gun at another human being who kills. Its your another try at shifting responsibility. Don't blame gun maker, retailer, laws, weather or whatever - just blame the killer obviously!


    Western societys has gone long way i.e. from bashing to upholding the minorities rights. Which was quickly abused by minorities and now the minorities are the holy cows of every western society. Same way things are going with childrens rights - there are dozens of children who openly steal, rob and even kill - just because people like you say its not their fault, but the society's fault. Come on! Why do you think american jails are so full as never before in the history? Just because of that. Had the society fried few of them on electric chairs, had their full names and pictures were published in the newspaper and had society spat on them clearly showing there is appropriate punishment, had they knew that some hardship will be upon them if they are about to commit any crime - perhaps some of them wouldnt have done it.
    But the way it is now any teenage thief just laughs at society (that means YOU as well) knowing that society is unable to do anything to him, can't even keep him arrested. LOL
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by DereX888

    I find it outright repulsive idea, much in orwellian 1984 style, letting someone else (i.e. broadcaster's, MPAA's "censor") to make decisions on what I should and I shouldn't see!

    I'm not taking any sides here, but just wanted to point something out -

    The MPAA is the reason censorship exists, so it's ironic that you'd use that statement.

    The films you see have to get an MPAA approval first before they are released and they decide what you are allowed and not allowed to see...same with the film distributors and film companies.

    Many films have to be cut to fit into the rating system - if the company is trying for a PG rating and the MPAA stamps it with an R, the film owners will cut what the MPAA disaproves of.
    The same with NC-17 (which used to be the dreaded X that no film company wanted stamped on their movie) - films are often butchered before the MPAA will agree to pass it on as an R rating.

    The censorship starts long before you finally get to see the final product.
    You end up seeing what the MPAA says you're allowed to see over what the director wanted you to see.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Americas
    Search Comp PM
    I think that you have NOT read my post and you have NOT drawn conclusions. We do not live alone, by ourselves and for ourselves. Society has established certain rules of conduct to make life easier, safer (drawn from experience) etc. To follow your thought, why have constitution, laws, rules of conduct, traffic laws etc. Why not let PPL drive on any available side of the street left or right, with or against the traffic. Why not let porn be played 24 hrs per day on every channel (THAT sells!). Why not let everyone carry the gun everwhere and do what they want anytime they want. Hey, try to raise kids in this world. Even most primitive tribes developped rules (animals follow certain rules also ). What you say is just plain nonsense. What I missed in your post is that The Earth is flat. That would be a completion worth the rest of your deliberation.

    @Rookie64: this quote is not mine. Pay attention.

    Just to add. What do you think crime level will be like if you remove all the guns from private ownership. Will it go up? Fact and a matter is that many society's have been hijacked by "amaerican way of life" as presented by the movie industry etc. Why work if I can steal more in 1 day? Why kids raised by parents with criminal past are more likely to commit the crime? We are talking basics here...!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    beautiful
    Search Comp PM
    Rookie64 wrote:
    I'm not taking any sides here, but just wanted to point something out -

    The MPAA is the reason censorship exists, so it's ironic that you'd use that statement.
    Someone has to "label" the movies with appropriate signs that are easily understandable by the rest of us, be it MPAA or whomever.
    What I disagree is any form of censorship. If the movie has drugs, sex or violence - give it appropriate rating to let *parents* know in advance, but don't cut anything out because some unresponsible parent may let his child watch it! Thinking this way may lead further and i.e. forbid cars., obviously there are many unsupervised kids that are hit or run over by the cars on the streets of every city everyday... got my point?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member tweedledee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Melbourne Australia
    Search Comp PM
    What I disagree is any form of censorship. If the movie has drugs, sex or violence -
    What about "kiddy Porn", bestiality, snuff movies, to name a few, on free to air TV?
    "Whenever I need to "get away,'' I just get away in my mind. I go to my imaginary spot, where the beach is perfect and the water is perfect and the weather is perfect. The only bad thing there are the flies. They're terrible!" Jack Handey
    Quote Quote  
  29. Originally Posted by DereX888

    Someone has to "label" the movies with appropriate signs that are easily understandable by the rest of us, be it MPAA or whomever.
    What I disagree is any form of censorship. If the movie has drugs, sex or violence - give it appropriate rating to let *parents* know in advance, but don't cut anything out because some unresponsible parent may let his child watch it! Thinking this way may lead further and i.e. forbid cars., obviously there are many unsupervised kids that are hit or run over by the cars on the streets of every city everyday... got my point?

    That's the point I was making - there's plenty that does get cut due to the MPAA's rating system.

    The film companies try to market their films to certain age groups, and if the MPAA says a certain age group can't see it, then chop chop chop...until they do say you can see it.

    Whatever the MPAA approves is what gets released - everything else, you'll most likely never see.


    That's the world we live in - like it or not.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    beautiful
    Search Comp PM
    What about "kiddy Porn", bestiality, snuff movies, to name a few, on free to air TV?
    youre at wrong thread, pal. Were not discussing deviants here, but a "regular" movies for "regular" people.



    The film companies try to market their films to certain age groups, and if the MPAA says a certain age group can't see it, then chop chop chop...until they do say you can see it.
    I agree with you, but if the film is targeting say 14 y.o. teens (thus its makers/distributors expect it to be PG-14 rated) then obviously there should be appropriate content in such movie, right? Different story is a rated R or NC-17 rated film (which is targeting obviously *adult* people), thats where any censorship from MPAA and such should cease to exist.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads