VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. is there any software to improve picture quallity when capturing to MPG ? i mean like editing out noise, or tracking lines, or just sharpening the picture or improving it in general?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by tells2000
    is there any software to improve picture quallity when capturing to MPG ? i mean like editing out noise, or tracking lines, or just sharpening the picture or improving it in general?
    The MainConcept MPEG-2 encoder has a noise reduction filter on it. Haven't tried it though.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Filters can improve the picture quality. But so can a TBC. A combination of both can turn an older VHS tape into something worth watching again.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Read the glossary entry for TBC.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by andkiich
    Read the glossary entry for TBC.
    Time Base Correctors are only able to correct bad sync pulses on the tape (they basically replace the existing sync track) and aren't cheap - well the good ones aren't anyway! If your VHS has no damage and very little dropout, a TBC will make no difference. It isn't a video processor. However it will allow you to copy Macrovision-encoded tapes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The best way I'v fould is also the most time comsuming and is dependant upon your system. If its a worthwhile project or the money is good I capture the file using Vdub and MJpeg, Huv or someother lossless codec, then I frameserve into Cinema Craft Encoder using avisynth, applying any filters I feel necessary.
    Or u can run it through vdub againg using filters then encode the resuting file into an mpeg. But thats an extra sted and more time, itrs well worth the trouble if u don't know how to frameserve to take the time and learn its really not that hard.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dragonkeeper
    The best way I'v fould is also the most time comsuming and is dependant upon your system. If its a worthwhile project or the money is good I capture the file using Vdub and MJpeg, Huv or someother lossless codec, then I frameserve into Cinema Craft Encoder using avisynth, applying any filters I feel necessary.
    Or u can run it through vdub againg using filters then encode the resuting file into an mpeg. But thats an extra sted and more time, itrs well worth the trouble if u don't know how to frameserve to take the time and learn its really not that hard.
    I agree. If you want to work with capturing VHS videos you need to capture with a good codec (such as the HuffyUV codec or the PICVideo MJPEG codec) and need to learn the great combo of VirtualDubMod (for editing) and AviSynth (for applying filters and feeding to your encoder). CINEMA CRAFT ENCODER (CCE Basic is fine) is the best choice here.

As for filters look at the official AviSynth website which has links to various "third party" developed filters.

My favorite is Convolution3D

- John "FulciLives" Coleman

Here is a sample AviSynth script I use with my PICVideo MJPEG captures done at 352x480

Code:
    LoadPlugin("C:\PROGRA~1\GORDIA~1\mpeg2dec3.dll")
    LoadPlugin("convolution3d.dll")
    AviSource("D:\capture.avi")
    Trim(2250,17535)
    crop(6,2,-2,-6)
    AddBorders(4,4,4,4)
    SeparateFields() 
    even = SelectEven(last).Convolution3D (0, 6, 10, 6, 8, 2.8, 0)
    odd = SelectOdd(last).Convolution3D (0, 6, 10, 6, 8, 2.8, 0) 
    Interleave(even, odd) 
    weave() 
    AssumeFPS(29.970, true)
    My capture card tends to shift the picture up and to the right so I crop more on the left and the bottom to bring it back to a more centered position. The Trim command comes from a frameset import via VirtualDubMod. AssumeFPS is not needed for all but it is my little trick since I sync on capture to audio which works but gives a FPS that is non standard. I usually end up with something like 29.967 or 29.966 so hence the AssumeFPS to get it back to a proper 29.970fps
    The SeparateFields and Weave and all that is because it is interlaced footage and has to do with the way Convolution3D works. Not all filters need that kind of application for interlaced video but most probably do.

Anyways ... Not as hard as it looks

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  8. My key to making VHS look better than they originally are is to use a handful of AVISynth filters. Apply them conservatively and always run test clips or preview them in something like VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I've been experimenting with the Smart Smooth High Quality filter by Klaus Post for VirtualDub. Seems to work pretty nicely for cartoon-type source material, and does a half-decent job on live action source material.

Experimentation is key, just like the others have said.
    Quote Quote