VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. My software video playback applications of choice are Media PLayer Classic and Zoom PLayer. However, when I come to play a long MPEG-1 movie file (or VCD) when I come to seek within the file, if I try seeking to a part that's kind of in the movie, what happens is that the video stops on that frame, the time keeps going, then playback resumes after about 10 or more seconds. This is very annoying. When in PowerDVD or WinDVD, I can seek to any part of the movie immediately. When playing back DivX, at most it takes a second to pick up after seeking, no matter what player i'm playing it in. BUt with MPEG-1, it takes sometimes up to 30 seconds for playback to resume. I have searched multiple forums, tried to see if burning it to VCD made a difference, have tried playing around with the manual filters in MPC to disable the default MPEG-1 decoder and to use the Cyberlink or Ligos Decoder and Splitter instead. What ends up happenein gis I get an error message for failure to render streams, and I cannot even view the mpeg-1 until I set the settings back to default. Please... I've had this problem before but quite frankly, I've gotten pretty pissed. Please, DO NOT reccomend any other players to me. I'm sure I've already tried it and I have mad up my mind to use MEdia Player classic and Zoom PLayer as my players of choice. MEdia Player Classic does a nice job at resizing the fullscreen resolution to 640X480, whihc is nice for wtahcing VCDs. Please help!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Well, the only thing I can come up with would require you to use the Ligos decoder/splitter for DirectShow MPEG decoding. There is a setting in the Ligos configuraiton utility that will let you tell it to decode MPEG1 files as well as MPEG2.

Just a thought, I don't know whether or not it will let you search in the files any better than the standard one, but it's worth a shot. I've found that the method/encoder used in the creation of an MPEG file often affects the ability to search properly. I don't know the specifics though, I don't know much about MPEG encoding.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I don't know how to adjust the ligos settings, but at any rate, I deceided to play around with the direct show filters in ZoomPLayer and accidentally eneded up getting rid of the directshow MPEG-1 decoder and splitter. I tried reinstalling POWERDVD hoping the SP decoder would kick in - nothing. I uninstalled and reinstalled windows media player, still nothing. NOw I can even play MPEG-1 file sat all! HOw do I fix this!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hey! I've accidnetally gotten ridden of the DirectShow MPEG-1 filters so now I can't playback MPEG-1 at all! Can anyone help! I need an MPEG-1 filter. Ironnically, it would be easier for me to mind an MPEG-2 filter....
    Quote Quote  
  5. Well, I reinstalled DirectX 9 and hey, the MPEG-1 playback filter works.
    Quote Quote