VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,

I want to ask is there any way to capture my DV movie directly deinterlaced?

It's becouse I get it interlaced and then I encode it with VD using the deinterlace filter but the quality is not satisfactorily.

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Isn't all broadcast video interlaced?

There are other Deinterlace filters for VirtualDub.
    http://home.bip.net/gunnart/video/DeinterlaceSmooth.zip
    Quote Quote  
  3. Heh, I mean to capture deinterlaced video from my Camcoder via the FireWire port.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Your camcorder should be no exception.

If its a DV transfer (over Firewire) the video is interlaced by your camera, that is, before it ever gets to your PC. The FireWire connection is just a high speed communication port, your PC just writes down what comes through the pipe.

If you don't mind a slight "jerkyness" to the motion in your video, you could just discard one of the fields.

Try a few more Deinterlace filters before you give up, when done properly, a deinterlace video is both sharp and smooth playing.

You are aware that TMPGEnc can handle interlaced video as well as output AVI files aren't you?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you plan on viewing on a standard TV, and are going to output it on a DVD, then DON'T DEINTERLACE.

Of course, if it's for monitor, then you'll have to find which deinterlace filter best suits the type of filming...I'm thinking of the BOB filter off the top of my head....

Good luck!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. You said you want to encode with "VD", i took this to mean VirtualDub.

Did mean to say VCD?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thanks for the answers. I will try some more filters.

Btw. Yes it is VirtualDub.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by trastikata
    Hi,

It's becouse I get it interlaced and then I encode it with VD using the deinterlace filter but the quality is not satisfactorily.

Thanks
    I think WinDVD captures deinterlaced. Ulead DVD MovieFactory does, too.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by pijetro
    If you plan on viewing on a standard TV, and are going to output it on a DVD, then DON'T DEINTERLACE.
    Why?

I'm new on this recording dvd stuff and I've tryied copying a minidv tape to avi (i guess it was interlaced, can't remember) and recording a dvd-r using ulead dvd moviefactory and, when I watched it on my standard TV, it got all that "interlaced flickering" whenever the camera moved... I've read somewhere that i should de-interlace it for getting a smooth video... isn't that right??

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by MrMungus
    Originally Posted by trastikata
    Hi,

Thanks
    I think WinDVD captures deinterlaced. Ulead DVD MovieFactory does, too.

I thought that WinDVD can only play DVDs. If so is it interlaced or deinterlaced? For example playing on TV set from video out.
    Quote Quote  
  11. First, can you clear something up. What is your final destination for this video. This is important as it will have a big effect on what processes you need to follow including the need to de-interlace or not.

For the record, I agree with pijetro, if your final intended display device is a normal TV, do not deinterlace.

The problems you saw with Ulead DVD MF could simply be a wrong field order setting. FYI, DV is bottom field first.
    Quote Quote  
  12. pijetro
    For the record, I agree with pijetro, if your final intended display device is a normal TV, do not deinterlace.
    Why not? When correctly done both static scenes and those with movement become clearer and, in terms of future proofing, progressive is the way to go. Deinterlace and let your DVD player add interlacing if necessary; and if you have a HD set then let the progressive image shine through.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by offline
    Why not? When correctly done both static scenes and those with movement become clearer and, in terms of future proofing, progressive is the way to go. Deinterlace and let your DVD player add interlacing if necessary; and if you have a HD set then let the progressive image shine through.
    Well, I suppose to be accurate it depends on the source.

and please correct me if I am wrong on this but this is my understanding:-

In the case of DV, which is what the original poster was asking about, each field is from a different period in time. A true 60 fields per second. So if you try to de-interlace, no two fields can be combined to produce a true progressive 30 frames per second image. This is why I do not reccomend de-interlacing DV.

If you are doing analog captures of a true progressive source the good quality de-interlacing is probably possible and may even be worthwhile.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, DV is from different points in time to some degree, moreso than tv is.

Read up at www.digitalFAQ.com and www.100fps.com for interlace info.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Everyone assumes all interlaced video is the same.

Not.

Let's start with DVD's and Film source. You can de-interlace these with absolutely zero issues. Why? It starts with a frame that gets' 2 fields split out. You can interlace and de-interlace all you want, since the source was static (23.97 only, there are no 29.97 films).

Now let's look at a Camera source. One may assume that the CCD device captures a frame, then spits out 2 fields? I'm sure there are some that do that. However, what most do is capture a frame that becomes a field, then captures another frame that becomes a field. Sounds the same? Not on your life! You have motion between the fields.

Seems such a minor thing. It's why some DV cameras just suck. It's also why people tell you to leave it interlaced.

Now what does this mean on a TV? For camera footge, it means nothing, since you are displaying it how it was captured. For film you need 6 fake frames (12 fields), hence the 3:2 pulldown.

Now if you think about that, you may realize why de-interlacing some videos is always going to be problemmatic.
    To Be, Or, Not To Be, That, Is The Gazorgan Plan
    Quote Quote